The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'm currently on the 5/12/77 (! - yes, first set '77 is the bomb) version, but 7/3/78 is next. Gotta go schlep the box out of my music room. Then it's off to shoveling concrete plowdrifts so my wife can get outta here for work at 5:45 AM.

Ezzie, US Blues, lucan_g and 7 others like this.
  2. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

That was a good night for Phil, as I recall he was also quite on the ball during Dancin in the Streets.

3. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Archtop raises a good point--although Jerry is often accused of being a "noodler," he plays more melody than any rock guitarist I know, and has a knack for writing melodies that can be played variously. Scarlet Begonias is a great example--you can play all kinds of different notes and sound like you're playing the melody with the right rhythm and target notes. I don't know another player who really plays like that, and it's one of the best things about his playing.

Mansley, DrLunchbox, adamos and 11 others like this.
  4. Archtop

An awkward moment from 4:38-4:40, but otherwise top shelf. Maybe the point ain't mute (sic). :nyah:

He did noodle, but he also nailed things. He pretty much did everything. In a list of favorite musicians of all time, Phil would likely be just a tick ahead of Jerry. Somewhere in the top 10, along with Coltrane, Mingus, Bill Evans and I'll get back to you.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    cedarbrew, bzfgt, Ezzie and 6 others like this.
  5. Archtop

Oh, crap; Monk is in there too, and he ain't I'll get back to you.

US Blues likes this.
  6. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Yes!!!

Archtop, Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  7. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

I had a musician friend of mine who commented that Garcia wasn't the best technical guitar player, but he was relentlessly melodic.

I've always loved that description.

Relentlessly melodic....

That's also how I'd describe the playing of David Rawlings as well.

8. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Going off-topic a bit here but, since we're on the theme of lyrical playing, I was listening to Dire Straits' live album Alchemy from their 1983 tour the other day & was struck by how similar Mark Knopfler's approach to soloing was to Jerry's at times.

To qualify, there's not a little of extemporisation in his playing (most of his major pieces are highly constructed, having evolved to a "perfect" point over many shows), but the strands of folk, jazz, country, blues etc. thrown into his solos, the focus on telling a story in each solo & the way that his guitar-playing is designed to reflect and pull out strands of the mood and melody of each song, is VERY Jerry-like.

He's not a player that, to my knowledge, was ever highlighted as a potential Jerry substitute after 1995, but he could definitely have done a job in the role. All IMHO, of course.

9. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

This was my last show. What a great show. I had sent emails to Dave "lobbying" for it to be released. I was pleasantly surprised when it was included in 30 Trips.

Crispy Rob, US Blues, trd and 2 others like this.
  10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Dupree's Diamond Blues is another one Garcia raised a step in the late 70's.

11. trat

trat Forum Resident

The 4.1.91 Peggy-O is my go to

Crispy Rob, fishcane, KeninDC and 3 others like this.
  12. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

we lost pigpen 45 years ago today. you are missed. rip.

[​IMG]

13. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

If you listen to 6/17/75, make sure you get a version that is pitch corrected.

Panama Hotel and US Blues like this.
  14. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

[​IMG]

15. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

16. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I declare this day to be No Pockets Day. Let there be no hands in pockets on this day, and may all your ponies be ridden.

17. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

18. trd

trd Forum Resident

New release just announced,

Jerry Garcia, Before the Dead
    Before The Dead | Shop the Jerry Garcia Official Store

4cds or 5 records(LE) available for pre order now

Crispy Rob, adamos, fishcane and 7 others like this.
  19. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

$20 for a 4 CD set seems very fair, but I don't know how much milage I would get out of a pre-Dead Jerry set personally.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

It's actually $25. The $20 price that pops up automatically is for the downloads. Once you select 'CD' from the dropdown, it changes to $25. Not a big deal to me, still a killer deal for four discs.

SBegonias17 and ianuaditis like this.
  21. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

It's 24.99 for the 4 CD, still very reasonable. I'm definitely interested in this, I don't know that I've called for it in print, but it's certainly been on my wish list.

Matthew Tate, US Blues, trd and 2 others like this.
  22. John69

John69 Forum Resident

That looks cool, though it seems they could have held off on the Hart Valley Drifters disc that came out a while back. It makes more sense to include it with this. At least they are putting some stuff out.
    Everyday their fan base is getting older. Keep them coming please!

23. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

$32 with shipping/tax ordered. Still at $8 per disc, well worth it.

Matthew Tate, DrLunchbox and trd like this.
  24. John69

John69 Forum Resident

Hopefully their next release is a Warfield box set release. 5 shows, 10 discs. Something from 1990, 1991. Then a Garcia-Grisman live box set could follow.

25. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

After selling some Picks and bonus discs, I got a little Dead-budget change in my pocket, going jing-a-ling-a-ling, as Dan Baird didn't exactly write. Sure would be helpful to have a box set announcement before other 30T shows beckon any louder.

I know ... if I wait on the box, it'll be The Best Of '86, and if I pursue 30T shows instead, the next day it'll be Kezar and RFK '73.