Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I haven't listened to commercial FM classical radio in over 30 years. SiriusXM has a classical station, but I just can't get into classical music while driving. I can listen to Sirius on my computer, but CD/Vinyl/Spotify are better home options for me.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I don't have any Beethoven 9th on open-reel tape but imagine the split will not be that noticeable as the autoreverse on my Akai deck is pretty fast ...

3. coopmv

:yikes:. This is way beyond the price point I am willing to pay. I imagine you would be a good £1,000 poorer between getting one classical open-reel tape and a second-hand deck ...

4. Baroque

Baroque Forum Resident

Snow day! Just made some oolong and am settling into -

[​IMG]

My favorite collection of CPE Bach's chamber music.

Wes H, Eigenvector and ShallowMemory like this.
  5. coopmv

I have had SiriusXM on my last three leased cars but never really liked it. I much prefer listening to my own music but unfortunately my current car no longer has a CDP and I have yet to check if my MP3 player can play through the car audio system ...

6. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

OK but the question is too general for me. I suggest that one looks for reviews/comments at www.nativedsd.com and/or www.hraudio.net/home.php

Bubbamike likes this.
  7. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I sold my Tandberg Series 6 twin track tube stereo model in the mid nineties as I became too ill to operate the controls and thread tape as much as I loved the sound off it.

Eigenvector likes this.
  8. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I like listening to Little Steven's Underground Garage on Sirius for short drives around town. For longer drives/road trips, I usually listen to my own playlists on the iPod or Spotify from my phone using bluetooth.

9. ShallowMemory

The call of Scandinavia and a.n.other present...
    [​IMG]
    Grieg: Cello Concerto; Grainger: Scandinavian Suite; Nielsen: Saek kun dit hoved, du blomst op.21 No.4
    Andreas Brantelid (Cello) Christian I. Hadland (Piano) 2015 BIS 2120 stereo/multichannnel sacd
    Delightful playing really well captured recommended to fans of Grieg and Grainger.

10. ShallowMemory

Well yes in the early nineties I was paying about £6.99 for 2,400 ft of Maxell UD which suited the Tandberg well without major adjustments and it goes without saying used machines had less 'life' on them so there was less of need for a service that costs before critical usage.

11. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Well,...... I don't know if I'm fit but I am quite sore right now! :sigh:

12. ShallowMemory

It's easy to pull a muscle or two doing that.:hugs:

Eigenvector likes this.
  13. coopmv

Looks like the pound has become as worthless as the dollar over the past twenty-some years as I am sure you will pay a lot more for the same 2,400 ft open-reel tape even after the sharply higher unit cost due to the much reduced open-reel tape production capacity has been taken into consideration.

14. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I listen some in the car & very rarely in our upstairs bedroom, where I can get halfway decent reception with my vintage Pioneer receiver, which powers my mid-70s small Advent speakers. Apparently I would need to have a roof antenna to listen downstairs.

15. coopmv

I have spent 2 - 3 hours shoveling snow over 15 years ago and that was why I went out to get my Honda snowblower. I was just tired of spending so much time on snow-job. It is far more beneficial working out 2 -3 hours at the gym ...

16. coopmv

Without a rooftop antenna, I doubt even my Tandberg TR-2075MKII receiver, which has a superb FM tuner, will provide the best reception for NYC classical FM station ...

17. ShallowMemory

You're talking now above £13.99 per reel from the tape distributors.:sigh:
    An' that's plastic reel.

18. ShallowMemory

One has BBC Radio Three for classical and Classic FM, a commercial station for Classical 'lolipops'

Bubbamike likes this.
  19. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

My father-in-law broke his back shoveling snow. He was in his late 80s and had osteoporosis. His back broke trying to throw a shovelful.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  20. coopmv

The price has doubled over the past twenty years and I bet it is pretty much the same at these shores, though I have not checked the prices in a long time since I stocked up back in the day on quality tapes. For small reels, you always get plastic reel.

21. coopmv

I can receive the BBC broadcasts over the internet, though I wonder if they are real-time or delayed ...

22. coopmv

I knew two people who died from shoveling snow after they suffered from massive heart attack right at the scene ... :shake::(

23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now streaming on Amazon, "Lassus - Chansons" performed by Ensemble Clement Janequin led by Dominique Visse on Harmonia Mundi.

[​IMG]

royzak2000 likes this.
  24. Stunsworth

Stunsworth Forum Resident

Radio 3 is in real-time streamed from the website - as are the other BBC radio stations available online. There’s also access to the previous 30 days of programmes.

Within the UK Radio 3 is streamed at 320k AAC, it’s a lower rate than that if you’re outside the UK. Last summer the Proms were broadcast losslessly in FLAC, fingers crossed they’ll do the same this year.

25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now streaming on Amazon, "Heroines of Love & Loss" performed by Ruby Hughes (soprano), Mime Yamahiro Brinkmann (cello) and Jonas Nordberg (lute) on BIS.

Works by Barbara Strozzi, Claudia Sessa, Francesca Caccini, Lucrezia Vizzana, John Bennet, Purcell, Kapsberger, and Vivaldi

[​IMG]

[​IMG]