New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Girlschool has the crazy vocal when he gets to the "She gives them thrills in a paper cup" bit that sells it and gets me every time. But it doesn't change the fact that some rock songs are indeed "forced" in his catalogue. I've Had Enough is by far the best example, with maybe Get out of My Way (another one that "could've been").

I remember a print interview dated sometimes in 78 where he talked about maybe doing only ballads from then on, an idea that kind of defines the aesthetics of the London Town LP (incidentally one of my personal favorites LP's – save for I've Had enough). Of course he quickly dismissed that decision for the next album… but it can be argued he came back to it for a while in the 80's. I wish I could find a link to that interview.

Rojo and anthontherun like this.
  2. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

3. bward

bward Senior Member

Excellent observation Arnie.

When I wrote my post, I was trying to remember who produced those albums. It was my old age catching up to me, I guess that I couldnt remember Bte was not self produced, as the other wings albums. Also, i was too tired to look it up. )

Over the years, Chris Thomas has done wonderful work for Paul.

theMess likes this.
  4. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I agree that not all of McCartney's attempts at rockin' have proved successful. I'd agree that I've Had Enough is one that doesn't really get there - I blame it on the slow pace and handclaps - and, much as I actually like it, I agree that Angry isn't especially convincing. It's like he's telling you how angry he is in a very calm manner so as not to cause a scene, much like you might to in a shop or restaurant.

I think Get Out Of My Way is a different beast: I don't think it's supposed to rock. It's more just a fun, jaunty piece of almost rockabilly. McCartney himself has said how hard it is to write rock n roll songs; I think he mentioned this in discussions about Run Devil Run from the same titled album.

Personally, though, I don't think many of McCartney's songs are genuine rock. Within the sphere of Beatles/McCartney there are songs that are more rock than others but when one puts most of his material up against the likes of Led Zep or heavy metal or Springsteen, pretty much most of it sounds pretty limp. It's just not what he does. However, within the Venn diagram of McCartney as Rocker, I'd say that Looking For Changes is pretty convincing (to me at least).

smoke, supermd, anthontherun and 4 others like this.
  5. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

He also produced "Birthday" and "Happiness is a Warm Gun", two of the rockier songs on the White Album.

6. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Totally Agree!

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, I mentioned the White Album in my original post (but I didn't mention any specific songs).

theMess and Haristar like this.
  8. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

[​IMG]

9. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

That's what they did for "Early Days," and fans have been b¡tching about it for over 4 years now! :laugh: :agree:

theMess, Rojo, foxylady and 8 others like this.
  10. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I cranked my Bose system last night and listened to, I've Had Enough, Girlschool, Angry, Lonely Road, Get Out Of My Way, About You, Beware My Love, Only Mama Knows, Old Siam Sir, Looking For Changes, Getting Closer, What It Is, She Said Yeah, Party, Smile Away, Junior's Farm, Hi Hi Hi, Soily, Stranglehold, Whole Life and Rockshow!

I didn't hear anything forced or unnatural, what I heard was an artist that not only rocks, but does it in a variety of ways! None of the above songs sound the same and all of them rock! McCartney has always been a rocker, he just has never received his due as one! Some even claiming that his rock isn't rock, whatever that means?!

You can't compare McCartney to Led Zeppelin, that's two totally different styles! Springsteen couldn't touch something like Soily from Wings Over America or Beware My Love, he wishes he could rock as hard as McCartney!

Two things I notice about Paul McCartney, in his entire career he's never received the credit he deserves for being a rocker, and after the Beatles his output has never received the real credit it truly deserves, and the really sad part about that is, in both cases he and it probably never will!

JLPMacca, maywitch and OobuJoobu like this.
  11. Arnold Grove

It's now designated as Macca Rock ... ;)

theMess likes this.
  12. Arnold Grove

I cranked my Bose system last night and listened to: We All Stand Together, Spies Like Us, Mary Had A Little Lamb, Freedom, Kreen Akore, Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reggae, Bogey Music, PS Love Me Do (studio version), PS Love Me Do (live version), and the whole Driving Rain album ...

Boy was I sick ... ;)

13. willie john

willie john Forum Resident

Driving Rain is not as bad as many think.

theMess, Rojo, foxylady and 7 others like this.
  14. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

Well we haven't had any new songs to bitch about yet

15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

There's another instance of Paul "trying" something with a song on New: "Everybody Out There" is trying to be a stadium chant, which nobody cared about, and in my opinion, is one of the weakest tracks on the album.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  16. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Same thing happens whenever I hear the track Girlfriend. ;)

Yeah. Or should I say yeaaaaahhhhhhh! (Shudders uncontrollably).

17. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Add a megamix of ALL the Ou Est La Soleil remixes and that sounds like a great night in*.

*an asylum.

18. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Ok, more on topic recent photos of Paul show him in LA with producers and near a studio (Capitol Records?).

I take it as a good sign.

Maybe, possibly........

Tord and JDeanB like this.
  19. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

You forgot "Soily".... particularly this version....

Zeki and PaperbackBroadstreet like this.
  20. Thomas Pugwash

Thomas Pugwash Forum Resident

21. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I agree with this. I honestly forgot about that song.

22. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Paul pretending to make an angry face at the beginning of this clip is funny and unconvincing. :laugh: But that's why I love him: most of his music is joyful.

theMess likes this.
  23. Arnold Grove

I'm wish that I could permanently forget about that song. ... ;)

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  24. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I did until you just reminded me.

theMess, Rojo and Arnold Grove like this.
  25. C_Jepson

C_Jepson Forum Resident

What's the issue with NEW on this thread?

Everytime I check back there seems to be another song picked from NEW for criticism and agreed disliking - first Scared, then Early Days, then I Can Bet, then Save Us, now Everybody Out There - honestly what's wrong with these songs?! I bloody love NEW - I would take it over Band on the Run anyday! Everybody Out There may be the weakest on the album (I disagree - in fact I believe a slower acoustic version would have sat good and proper on Flaming Pie) but that's only because it's shadowed and perhaps pales in comparison to Hosanna, On My Way to Work, Looking at Her and New - or are they all bad songs as well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.