The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

The wait is a little stressful, to be honest! I'm so worried that it's going to be something amazing and I'll miss the 12-minute window to place my order.

Matthew Tate and DrLunchbox like this.
  2. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

Is an announcement forthcoming? I haven’t heard anything anywhere other than here. Lol.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. GuidedByJonO)))

In recent years it's been around this time of year when the late Spring box is announced, so mostly just speculation at this point based on past experience.

4. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

this is reminiscent of when the New Years Run was due to be announced and everyone and their uncle was calling the Grateful Dead hotline(s) every 15 and a half minutes because...well, you know why.:pineapple:

5. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Four CDs containing over 3.5 hours of studio & live performances culled from previously uncirculated masters and newly discovered recordings. Audio restoration and mastering by Fred Kevorkian."

Yes! Been waiting for something like this...

6. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Can we discuss the 10/9/76 version of Slipknot!? There's a little turn from the jam and the transition that is simply sublime, and I can't stop listening to it over and over again.

7. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I always thought that pair of shows would make for a nice compilation ;)

rcb30 and US Blues like this.
  8. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

This probably already popped up on here many pages back but, hey child let me tell you how in I am for this RSD release:

Grateful Dead Fillmore West, San Francisco, CA 2/27/69

9. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

I'll say it: I can't get into Dead shows on vinyl in a world where seamless digital playback exists. Don't dig the disc flip.

talkingleaf, MonkeyMan, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  10. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

posnera and budwhite like this.
  11. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I saw pig several times including his last nyc shows in 3/72. as many know, his last show was Hollywood bowl in 6/72. several months earlier he had taken time off during the first half of the fall 71 tour. I saw him near the end of that tour at the felt forum. at the end of 1972 I was on vacation visiting my brother in s.f. I had the chance for a one on one conversation with Garcia at the lion's share a couple of nights before the new years winterland show during a couple of Garcia saunders shows. I asked him if pig might be able to play for new years but he said he was too sick. I could tell he was very sad about it. no big surprise I guess.

12. trd

trd Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing all of these memories. I was born 6 years to the day after Pigpen died so I’ve always had a little extra affinity for him.

Reminds me I need to get this print from Rosie McGee framed,
    [​IMG]

Mansley, bmoregnr, lucan_g and 14 others like this.
  13. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

I kind of agree but certain things on vinyl would be nice - including another Live Dead era Dark Star. Do we know if this is in fact THE Live Dead version? Another thing I wish they'd do up on vinyl is the 20 minutes of heaven that is the Ontario 1990 Scarlet > Fire. I was pretty bummed that the 4xLP compilation from Spring 90 omitted it. What were they thinking?! I stand by that being the best Brent-era Scarlet > Fire, my favorite anyhow.

trd likes this.
  14. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I've mentioned this before. I met him outside the manhattan center on 4/4/71 before the show. he was holding court a bit with a small group of fans. that night he performed easy wind for the last time. this is one the rarest items in my collection. a point of purchase stand up for the 4/71 concerts.

[​IMG]

Mansley, Jim Walker, lucan_g and 22 others like this.
  15. GuidedByJonO)))

Which I think means a hearty birthday salutation is very much in order.

lucan_g, Crispy Rob and trd like this.
  16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes. Dark Star and St. Stephen on Live/Dead are from 2/27/69.

17. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

Good to know, thanks!

Matthew Tate and ianuaditis like this.
  18. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

A Nice Pair.

Silver1973 and jazz_case like this.
  19. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

We were at a lot of the same shows back then davmar77. Surprised you don't remember me. I was that guy with a psychedelic smile dancing my behind off ;-)

Still have the Boston Phoenix article reporting his passing the day after I believe. May need to dig it up and scan for you guys.

We were so lucky to have seen him. Probably my favorite pig pen night was March 25th 1972, the night during that week run at the Academy when they did a benefit for the hells angels with Bo Diddly opening. Lots of good pig that night; Smokestack Lightning, Lovelight...

Zafu

20. trd

trd Forum Resident

I don't see what Donna has to do with this

ruben lopez and budwhite like this.
  21. runonguinness

runonguinness Forum Resident

Thanks for that. "Lighting by Candace" a year before she toured with the Dead.

Zafu likes this.
  22. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

You guys are acting like a couple of boobs.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Spadeygrove and trd like this.
  23. trd

trd Forum Resident

Rim shot!

24. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I hope the video release doesn't mean that the won't put out the lossless audio files.

JRM likes this.
  25. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Thanks for that Davmar. As a huge pigpen fan, I've always been curious about the involvement and impact that his demise had on the band. Were they still in constant communication, did pigpen come and see any shows while he was sick, how was touring impacted, were members with him at the end? Fascinating to think how they might have evolved musically with him still active after E72. Two souls in communion is one of the most touching things the band ever did. I apologize for these sad and perhaps too personal wonderings.