How "old" is 80s music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ribonucleic, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident Thread Starter

In the building where I work, the music piped in to the bathrooms recently switched from Classic Rock to 80s Top 40. For example, it was playing this on my last trip just now:

As a child of the decade, this pleases me well, naturally.

But we're a tech company, so most of the employees are in their 20s to early 30s, and to them these are oldies. (A co-worker broke my heart once by innocently asking "Who's this Debbie Gibson you mention?") "The Warrior" is as old now as Patti Page singing "The Tennessee Waltz" was when Scandal was on the charts.

Now the thing is, IIRC, back then, you did not hear early 50s music anywhere nearly as often as you hear 80s music today. Which suggests to me that 80s music has not "aged" at the same rate as, say, Perry Como.

Is this because the advent of rock marked a more decisive break with the music of the past than anything that has occurred since? Or - dare I hope - is the music of my youth simply better?

(Let's please leave the video out of it. It was considered notoriously bad even at the time.)

2. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I was born in 1994, and when I hear 80s music in stores and such, it doesn't seem "old" to me. I recall hearing a lot of it as a child though, so that might be why.

3. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

We have GenericCrap.fm piped in to our work, a little while ago the DJ said "we've got a genuine old school classic coming up next".

It was Rihanna! :cry:

timind, pinkrudy, LeBon Bush and 7 others like this.
  4. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

The CURE, The Smiths and Echo & the Bunnymen are Timeless.
    If I was born in 2000, I would love their Music.
    And going back further, Talking Heads & The Police.

5. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Doesn't sound old to me at all. Still sounds state of the art and expensive.

bluesky, bru87tr, Purple and 4 others like this.
  6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I always think that's 20 years ago but we already have done another 10+ years now. That's scary.
    Musically I don't think it's old. Some artists nowadays use 1980s elements in their music so that's kind of reborn.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  7. dickens12@excite

dickens12@excite Forum Resident

Synthwave and all of its offshoots are extremely '80s influenced.

8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

9. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

From the class of 83, I was always in large part retro with my taste.. I'd listen to certain music that came out before I was born, but not a lot of it... On the other hand, I spent a lot of time as a teenager and later listening to music that came out in my lifetime, but when I was too young to remember it.
    Those were the biggest years in the development of the music and sound quality..

The thing is IMO, rock and pop music haven't advanced much (if any)as an artform since the 70s, both in writing and in sound quality. So it stands to reason 20 year olds today might listen to music that came out 20-35 years before they were born.....

timind, Purple, blaken123 and 4 others like this.
  10. ribonucleic

I listened to The Chronic in its entirety the other day while I was waiting for recall work to be finished on my car. And realized it was eligible for a "25th anniversary deluxe edition". (with extra "beeyotches", I suppose)

Dan Steely likes this.
  11. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

1980 is 38 years ago... I think that qualifies as oldies.

In the 1960's, "oldies radio" featured stuff that was from the 50's (and the late fifties at that).

To put it in forum math, 2018 is to 1980 as the Beatles' "White Album" is to 1930... ;)

ARK, Scopitone, Kristofa and 8 others like this.
  12. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Doesnt seem old to me. Just a bit out dated cuz of the production styles. But much better than todays music. I love it.

13. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

It's getting older all the time. It has its own sound and niche now. There was a lot of diversity and change and the whole MTV era and its effect on music as the decade went along.

Rojo, GodShifter and ribonucleic like this.
  14. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Since everything music cool nowadays is either rap wannabe acoustic folk, the short, smart New Wave pop tunes of the '80s are somehow passé. But many sound fresh as when they were baked.

DiabloG and ribonucleic like this.
  15. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

When I was a teenager in the 70's the old music of the day was the Perry Como type stuff from the 50's. Sometime in the 80's, can't really remember when, Corporate America co-opted Rock 'n Roll so they could use my generations sentimental moments to sell products to us. Still going on today to the point that kids in their teens still get inundated with music from the 60's, 70's and 80's on a regular basis in ads and movies. I loved the 80's music scene and think it has held up very well. Lots of fun too.

16. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

It's nice to read 15 straight posts with no hate for 80's musics. :agree:

It's 2018, of course it's old. In these days of disposable everything, "old" starts in about a year after something is born.
    But for me, all music is timeless in the sense that I can enjoy it now even if it was composed centuries ago.

ARK, John Grimes, bru87tr and 8 others like this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member

You think that's bad? About a month ago I referenced Eddie Vedder in a conversation with a guy in his early twenties. He had never heard of him. I felt so old that I almost asked to pay half price for my bus ride home.

RudolphS, Scopitone, bru87tr and 7 others like this.
  18. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I never listened to much 80's music, or anything past the 70's for that matter. Old? - it's like it never existed, to me.

pinkrudy, blivet and ODShowtime like this.
  19. strummer101

And...there it is.:rolleyes:

pwhytey, ARK, Paul King and 9 others like this.
  20. Chris Schoen

And...just think, it could all be "new" music, if I only just listened to it! :laugh::sigh:

21. strummer101

Go ahead, I dare you.:D

wrappedinsky likes this.
  22. Chris Schoen

There are some things from the 80's I will go for, Police, Pretenders...

23. Drew

Drew Senior Member

It's old... but if you were a teenager in the 1980's like I was it seems like only yesterday.

JuanTCB, Lonecat, Fullbug and 9 others like this.
  24. ribonucleic

I've got an Eddie Vedder story, sort of.

Back in the Aughties, my wife went to a fish market here in Salt Lake City to get us ingredients for dinner. They told her that representatives from Pearl Jam - who were performing in town - had called to ask if they had any sablefish. The market had mistakenly told them: No. So now, thanks to the goof, they could sell the sablefish to her.

As she and I are both big Seinfeld fans, I wondered if this was a case of "Jon Voight's car". But she went ahead and cooked it for us. And it turned out to be as succulent a piece of fish as I've ever had. Melt-in-your-mouth stuff. "Better luck next time, Eddie!" I crowed with satisfaction. "Maybe you can write a song about it!"

But in my piscatorial triumph, I failed to notice one of my dogs inching up to the coffee table to steal a lick of the buttery platter. "No!" I cried in a panic. "Not the Pearl Jam fish!"

ARK, dano272, OptimisticGoat and 11 others like this.
  25. Django

Django Forum Resident

As a child, early 80s pop music was the first music I liked. I'm watching top of the pops 1985 on BBC4 right now ( animotion - obsession is on) yeah its dated in one way but pop culture is so endlessly recycled that some the sounds & production almost seems current.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.