Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

For what it is worth, Bill Anderson wrote in his newsletter this month that he has heard "not a peep" from Bear Family about a follow up to his box set (First 10 Years). That's a shame as the second 10 years had a lot of great music also.

Not surprising considering how many boxes from long ago (Faron, Webb, Kitty, etc.) were 1 and done.

2. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Would be great with 1 more from these:Continuing from earlier box:Billy Walker,Stonewall Jackson,Bobby Bare,Porter Wagoner,Kitty Wells,Brenda Lee,Roy Acuff,Bill Anderson.Plus lots of others.

Steve...O, maloney and Russ_B66 like this.
  3. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

I've mentioned this to Richard – the problem isn't lack of interest, but the master tapes. They were lost in the MCA fire, and there are hardly any safety copies known to exist. (Bear Family already searched the vaults of foreign companies/licensees for second generation tapes.). Still, as Whispering Bill wrote, you never know...

Steve...O likes this.
  4. Svein Arne

Somewhere there must be a negative tape.A tape that has been used to make metalstamper.This tape you must play in a phono amplifier plugged in the opposite way then you normally do.It is easier to send a tape like this then 2 metalstampers to the record manufacturer.With a tape like that you get better sound then make a copy of vinyl.Hope this may get People at Bear Family some new ideas.:tiphat:

Steve...O likes this.
  5. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

I remember when that fire happened in 2008, everyone was going nuts and then Universal said that everything had been moved and what was still there was only stuff from “obscure artists from the 40’s and 50’s” and they had digital copies of that music that was safe, so I guess all of that was a lie and the masters are all gone forever.

6. Svein Arne

7. Lucretius

Lucretius Forum Resident

I've never seen a complete list of label catalogues that were lost in the fire. Does anyone know? Only ones I know for sure are Duke/Peacock and ABC-Paramount.

I heard that Universal has all the Chess tapes but they weren't stored in the building that burned down. Is that true?

8. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

This hurts to read. If Decca masters were lost, I suppose that hurts the chances of a second Brenda Lee or Webb Pierce box as well.

melstapler and Steve...O like this.
  9. Svein Arne

Look at this video,it is possible biggest storage of recorded music in the world.Begins at 19 minutes about records.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Lucretius and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  10. Russ_B66

Russ_B66 Forum Resident

I would love for there to be more Brenda Lee on Bear Family. At least there are the old records but Ace and Bear Family have put out some wonderful discs.

Svein Arne and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In such events, you should always go with the best available source, even if that is a mint LP. Thousands of satisfying reissues on CD came from such sources. If audiophiles fervently believe in the sound of vintage LPs, why can't CD reissue collectors get that same source?

Svein Arne likes this.
  12. Svein Arne

And now you can play 78s on a turntable like this to get top sound:https:
    //www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFeMMJlXplY

13. Svein Arne

14. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

Over the next 9 weeks, I will be posting 1 picture each weekend to unveil my complete Bear Family box set collection. I hope these posts can encourage friendly discussions related to the various artists/bands unveiled each week and hopefully some of you will develop a newfound interest with some of the artists/bands shown. At the conclusion of the 9 weeks, I hope this inspires others to do the same!

Storage Box #1 contains....(yes, I know, some boxes still have not been opened yet!)

[​IMG]

15. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Some top tier boxes here. the Macon and Carter boxes are beyond essential. The Tillman box is a favorite as well.

The Killer likes this.
  16. GodBlessTinyTim

Very nice assortment. Of those I only have Floyd Tillman and Starday Custom. Thought about Mitchell Torok's set, but the quality of his output varied drastically. It seems that for every "Caribbean" there's an "Edgar the Eager Easter Bunny." Good for those who like country novelties with an ethnic flair, though.

melstapler likes this.
  17. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

any discussion about Bear Family releases never gets tired for me, even if it's ground has already covered.
    glad to hear about @hotshotskings presentations, should be fun.

melstapler and hotshotskings like this.
  18. maloney

maloney music collector and archivist

Some Great sets there to my way of thinking the Carter Family set is The Greatest Set that they Ever Did . The Uncle Dave Set id great too , I also have enjoyed the Mitchel Torok Set especially his great parody of Johnny Cash , I love the Gene Autry Too , I have the Smithsonian Set As Well , very good. I am looking forward to what else develops in this discussion . I will try and post some pictures from my collection .

melstapler and Mr. H like this.
  19. maloney

maloney music collector and archivist

Mitchel Takes on Johnny Cash , Reminiscent of Stan Frebergs Records on Capitol...

20. GodBlessTinyTim

Torok also did his share of sequel songs and soundalikes. Took me a minute to realize this wasn't just "Green Door" with one word changed.

One I wish was on YouTube is "El Tigre," a great Marty Robbins imitation.

21. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

The Carter set is reason enough for any company to have existed. Had it been the only set they’d done, they’d still be the stuff of legend, IMO.

22. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I think the BF set my collection really needs is the Louvin Brothers set. I really ought to put that right.

23. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

A third Connie Smith or Osborne Brothers set or Tanya and LaCosta Tucker sets tops my lists of wants.

melstapler likes this.
  24. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

well..as long as you are asking...the jerry lee lewis '64 hamburg star club..cd...no liner notes at all....and i was so looking forward to reading a lot about it.........i wonder.....why?....single disc.....cd.........anyway...just thought i would mention it......cuz i love bear from germany.........anyone else come across this?.....great album tho...around 40 minutes..live star club..with the nashville teens........but no liner notes.....i was dissapointed...being it who it was who released it..

25. GodBlessTinyTim

That one's a rare case where Bear Family was thoroughly outdone by another label. Hip-O Select put out a three-disc set called The Killer Live! 1964-1970 with the Star Club show plus three subsequent live albums and a 30-page booklet.

Jerry Lee Lewis - The Killer Live! 1964 - 1970

melstapler and The Killer like this.