Record Store Day "RSD" April 2018 Releases*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cwd, Feb 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Maybe if Mick, listens to Keith, gets fixed and stops having kids, the prices might come down a little...but I gotta have my Stones records!!!

2. frogfog

frogfog Zappaddict

I skipped this one on the list. Thanks for the heads-up, another one to add to an already long shopping list.

zwolo likes this.
  3. frogfog

frogfog Zappaddict

I can access the website from Canada, but they won't ship outside US anyway, so... reference only.

oldturkey likes this.
  4. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

That album is ABKCO, right?

5. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Right.

6. crazybeats

crazybeats Forum Resident

Yes that's what I mean and yes I do have Taylor Swift's albums. That's what music is about. Charts. Sales. Competition and for people like myself who respect the classics but also like new music that current artists are putting out....it would be nice to buy that music physically on a format like this. I can go back not too long ago when that was the case.

Record sales are at an all time high right now, higher than they have been in many many years but you know what? I'd much rather have the selection we had just 10 years compared to now because at least I could walk into a record store and buy 45s and 12"s and promos. You could walk into a record store and buy new music that way and it was cheap. Now it's expensive David Bowie and Abba and who does that benefit? The same people that already have those same exact singles already? How is that bringing new customers into record stores? Like I said I'm glad the sales are as high as they are and so many people are buying records but really?....I've no idea what is selling. I do know the selection of what is available is nowhere near what it was just 10 years ago.

7. Being in Seattle I go into Record stores weekly. There’s a plethora of new and old music. Tons of new music in CD and fairly cheap at that.

It seems there are just as many new releases today then ten years ago. Lots more indie artists which is a good thing imho.

Vinyl is more expensive but varies by artist and label. Some very reasonable under $23 and some at a crazy higher price point of over $30

dhegron and chacha like this.
  8. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Kids, kids let's not fight. I think we've all forgotten how tight things have been in the lenticular industry ever since Cracker Jack stopped giving out prizes.

Seriously, if you want to gripe about something....oh I don't know...OH HOLY HELL WHERE DO THEY GET OFF CHANGING THE COVER TO THE PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN?!!!

Spadeygrove and Erik B. like this.
  9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

You’re right...it’s much better these days. I get the feeling you don’t go to record stores often.

By the way, there are 3 Taylor Swift albums being released for record store day.

Mazzy likes this.
  10. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

As for this idea that only current chart artist music counts as "new", I've been back into vinyl for a couple of years now, specifically so I could rediscover the music experience we used to have 20+ years ago. Where we sat down and properly listened to music. Music has become disposable, I was more than happy listening to 192k mp3s in my car, or walking to work, but with so much at my fingertips it was too easy to gloss over stuff. Too easy to skip unfamiliar tracks on an album to get to the favourite ones, or the hits.

Now I am back into vinyl, not only does it allow me to give my favourite music its due care and attention, to savour the nuances I'd just not heard via earbuds walking around, or in the car with the sound of the road and attention elsewhere, but it opened up a whole new world of familiar artists' classic albums, or unfamiliar artists classic albums. New music to me. It meant I properly listened to those previously skipped album tracks, and have gotten to appreciate them.

Music is "new" if you have never listened to it before, at all or properly. I am buying music new to me when I take part in RSD, most of the time. That is the benefit of reissues of the likes of Abba and Bowie, to me. That is the music bringing a new customer like me, into record stores.

11. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

12. cwd

cwd Forum Resident Thread Starter

Narrowing down the list for the day and still a lot and some $ will be going...but that's the way it is. Anybody have any information on specifics of the Marvin Gaye "Let's Get It On," other than anniversary release and on heavy red vinyl? Then the Sexual Healing, Baby Huey, Johnny Cash, Neil Young, Hillbilly Hell, Prince, Pink Floyd, a couple of the Bowies, several others, and that's just the ones I find interesting. Even some Taylor Swift for those of you "modern music" aficionados.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  13. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

14. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

And this is why I hate to hear people cheering on updating the sound of a classic. First it's remixing, then it's slipping in modern overdubs and then it's this crap. It's a slimy slope.

You just know when we're all dead, this is happening to all the classics.

15. cwd

cwd Forum Resident Thread Starter

Did you just make up "slimy slope"?-interesting twist on the metaphor.

rnranimal likes this.
  16. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yeah. But I'm guessing if I googled it, I'd found out it was already made up. That happens anytime I think I made something up.

AZRunner likes this.
  17. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Largely agree. RSD would be a lot cooler if the list were cut in half and we didn't have an embarrassing post-RSD glut of weirdly shaped glow in the dark 7"s. But whatever. I'm not gonna hate too much. I'll still line up for the few things I really want.

18. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I’m with you. Try finding an unused band name.

TheLoveDrags and rnranimal like this.
  19. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

This is so thoroughly illogical and patently false that I am now convinced this is just straight-faced trolling.

scotth likes this.
  20. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

You...you know that's just a slipcase, right? The cover is exactly the same. It just has something else over it.

Clarkophile and Tom Campbell like this.
  21. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Oh well that’s quite different, carry on. Nothing to see here...

22. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

45 minute burrito.

AZRunner likes this.
  23. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

Honestly it's really not as hard as it's usually made out to be

24. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I told my friend who runs a record store here in San Diego about this release. He did some research and said he could order it from an unofficial RSD list. He hasn't answered back on specifics. Stay tuned...

Crimson Witch likes this.
  25. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

An “updated” “modern” version of the Mona Lisa is so much better. It helps introduce classic art to today’s crowd.

:shake:

[​IMG]

I think not.

rnranimal, Jimijam and mick_sh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.