King Crimson 2009 re-issues CD / DVD stereo/5.1 all inclusive thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Hmm. I like SW's music in general. And I like many of the albums and artists that he has been involved with reissuing.

If he is involved with one I'm not familiar with (example - Caravan's In the Land of Grey and Pink, initially), it makes me curious enough to check it out, based on his track record. Why is that bizarre? There's a real possibility it may be music that I like, but just haven't checked out yet.

2. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I liked the album Lark's Tongues In Aspic, but agreed with Bill Bruford that the production was very "weedy". It lacked something. Wilson said he did more manipulating of the material than usual, and it is my go to for that album.

Lizard was also far too dense of an album, and Wilson opened it up and made it easier to listen to. I can't say what he did technically, but my ears can definitely tell the difference. It isn't that hard to understand.

3. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I do not understand how something being remixed can change one's opinion
    on the actual quality of the music.
    After all, it is the same musical performance. Yes, I am fully aware of what a remix can do. I have heard my fair share. But I also know what a remix cannot do. For *me* personally, it is not such a dramatic difference as to reassess the actual quality of the music.
    If i didn't like the music of say, Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin, no amount of remixing is going to change that.
    So, again, for *me*, theory tested.
    And proven.

4. Matze S.

Matze S. Forum Resident

A remix might not change my opinion of a musical performance. But is that what we are talking about? A remix can - and did several times - change the amount of pleasure I get from a musical performance. That's a big difference and might explain why Wilson's KC-remixes changed my opinion of quite a few KC albums.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  5. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Agreed - imagine Earthbound, newly remixed from previously forgotten about, but pristine 16 track multi-tracks. I bet that might change a few people's appreciation of the album.

6. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Isn’t this one out on the 40th years anniversary lately? Any acciunt on the SQ?

7. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

yes, but not from 16 track as the other poster dreams - that show was only done on 2 ch cassette and nothing more. This new anniversary edition just has a few more tracks from the same 2ch cassette along with some other stuff from that era including a quad session - info that's out there and so easy find if you look.

Norco74 likes this.
  8. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Please don't give me a hard time for this lazy post but could someone summarize which versions a new fan of this band should seek out? I have been reading through several KC threads on here but they are freaking massive. I am looking at picking up all the studio albums up through the 1980's.

9. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

The quick answer is to just purchase all the 40th Anniversary Editions.

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Easy peasy. They contain remixes and the original mixes, plus bonuses and are not expensive.

11. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

That is where I am leaning at this moment. From what I remember reading is that you essentially get it all with those 40 th anniversary versions: original mix (30th anniversay mastering?), remix stereo, multichannel, etc. Regarding the mastering, I have read that it was done quite well but other posts are complaining about significant compression used. I don't like loud modern brickwalled masterings.

12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The 30th remasters are compressed but the tonality is mostly good. I wouldn't say they are brickwalled.
    The original 40th Ann. edition of Red was the exception as it didn't have a stereo remix, only surround, but it was later released on a 2-CD edition and The Road to Red boxset.

JediJoker and SOONERFAN like this.
  13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The alternative to the 30th Ann. remasters in digital would be going to the early 80s CDs but these had several different masterings of varying quality and it is headache-inducing to sort through.

JediJoker likes this.
  14. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Okay, thanks! What about the stereo remix version on there, is it compressed as well?

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

They are not the typical flat transfers of Steven Wilson's remixes, they have been mastered and have some compression, but on the whole they are still fairly dynamic.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  16. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

It's a good time to be a new fan of King Crimson. The 40th anniversary editions (CD+DVD-A) offer excellent value for money (they include original mixes plus new mixes and other bonuses (and hi-res too)), they are still in print and easy to obtain. Once you have your favourites you can take your time researching other pressings.

17. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Good to know, thanks? Plan9's description of the mastering gives me the impression that the sound is not perfect, but pretty good despite some light compression. I love the idea of just picking up these titles as what's currently in-print and fairly inexpensive but still getting nice sounding versions. It is always dicey these days getting into a new band since most current masterings are crap. Seeking out obscure and out of print versions is a pain in the butt and expensive, especially with long catalogs like this band. I am tempted to try out some of the early Genesis stuff but have avoided it reading how terrible those remasters are.

18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i had only heard crimson's islands, but since the 40th anniversary editions i now have all the studio releases and wait for the last couple eagerly.
    i really enjoyed the genesis 5.1 box sets ... i think you can still pick up the individual discs, not sure about the pricing.

19. Norco74

The 40th years reissues sound is excellent (studio tracks). I like the DVD-A hires stereo tracks (96kHz-24bits).

I won’t even look further to buy another edition. Unless you are lookng for something specific, this is all you need.

tedhead and SOONERFAN like this.
  20. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Good to know. Are you a listener who does not mind compression or is the compression light enough to not be a big deal? I am eagerly waiting for these to arrive in my mailbox.

21. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I agree with the idea of buying the latest masters If you a true completist, you need some early versions of some albums due to the presence of overdubs that were since removed (USA and Discipline for example).

Completely disagree with Genesis 5.1. I thought those mixes had a strange EQ to them; not much low end.
    I like the definitive edition masters for the most part.

22. Norco74

Not all hifi systems are created equal and I learned that once again when I changed my preamp not too long ago. Same price range preamps not only sound different but the effect of compression seems to be reproduced differently amongst them. Same wih the room acoustics.

To answer your question, I do mind over compressed remasters. These are not. Also do remember that the original takes for these albums happened +40 years ago. The original TCOL and PTB sound incredible, no need for remaster IMO.

23. Do the 30th definitive edition of USA and Discipline have the overdubs?

24. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I know the 30th of USA has the original overdubs. One of the discipline releases had the old overdubs of Matte Kudasai and the new stripped down versions, but I forgot which ones. I have too many King Crimson discs lying around; kind of sad really. My personal mixes on my hi res player have both versions; but I can't remember which CD they are ripped from.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  25. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

You don't necessarily need to:
    - the first version of Matte Kudasai is included in the 40th AE of Discipline (labelled as "Alternative version"). Looking for an old Polydor mastering would be expensive, I'd say minimum $50, but that would be a good choice for the original mix. The remix is still better IMO;
    - the first version of Sleepless is included in the 40th AE of Three of a Perfect Pair (labelled as "Bob Clearmountain mix");
    - USA includes a new 2013 mix, the 2005 mix, the 30th AE, a vinyl rip (no need to look further).

The 40th Anniversary Editions are currently available (brand new) for £12.99 or US$24.99. That's the way to start with KC...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.