Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Big snow here early this morning.

2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

It's the kind of thing people like Bill Gates should finance. I'm a big Biggs fan. They should issue a big box. Bill Gates could underwrite it so it could be sold very cheaply.

Wes H likes this.
  3. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

He only plays a fragment of the fugue. Here's a complete performance played on a classical guitar. I'm learning this guy's transcription:

No tapping or other gimmicks...just flat-out virtuosity! ;)

bluemooze likes this.
  4. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

:righton: I'll sign the petition if you start it!

It's a shame that Biggs does not get the recognition today for the great work he did. The liner notes for those Gabrieli albums firmly credit Biggs for their existence, as he was very insistent on recording music in the locations where it was originally performed.

vanhooserd likes this.
  5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have this recording on CD ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and McLover like this.
  6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Listened to 100-102 from this 1992 reissue. Recorded 10/31/62 (102), 2/12/70 (101) & 10/20/70, all in Philharmonic Hall at Lincoln Center. Produced by John McClure (102) & Richard Killough (100, 101). Bernstein was a fine Haydn conductor.

7. coopmv

Maybe Jeff Bezos, the Amazon's founder and boss, who is now wealthier than Bill Gates, should underwrite this project ...

vanhooserd likes this.
  8. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

While wandering around old town Zurich, I thought I heard an organ playing Bach as we were walking up to what looked like a church. Instead, it was an old guild hall with a patio under the building between the narrow street and the river. A guy was playing Bach on an accordion. The patio was so resonant that it sounded like an organ as we were walking up.

bluemooze likes this.
  9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Bezos should underwrite US, all of us on this thread. Subsidize us, Jeff. It's your duty.

Mowgli likes this.
  10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

So someone posted a Naxos Historical CD with this cover picture on the Classical Corner thread & I made the same observation about Melton. I added the remark that "maybe I shouldn't say that on this thread." Apparently this was taken as a taunt & my post was removed as a Thread Crap. Makes me even more glad we have this thread.

11. coopmv

Goldberg Variations performed on violin? anyone? It is transcription that has gone too far. I listened to this CD a number of years ago when I first got the CD out of curiosity but that was too much for me to tolerate beyond the first listen ... :thumbsdow

[​IMG]

Dmitry Sitkovetsky - Wikipedia

Well, it turns out Dmitry Sitkovetsky is the son of Bella Davidovich, my favorite Russian pianist from the 80's ...

12. coopmv

I have that Naxos Historical CD by Backhaus ...

13. coopmv

@Wes H, Looks like you have more open-reel decks than anyone else on this thread. I only have three.

14. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

They sure did. Mine was the 62 as I preferred twin track although for a period I also had a series 3300x solid state four track machine for those occasions people would loan me quarter track tapes. If you used tapes likes Agfa's PEM even at 3 3/4 ips (9.5 cms for metricated souls) it did sound surprisingly well although as a rule I always recorded at 7 1/2 ips which was one reason I'd always bulk order 2,400 ft reels, picking up the 1,800 ft ones as needed as those two covered most needs because as you'll know we used nearly all the tape for both the left and right channels so had no side two!

bluemooze likes this.
  15. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

:agree: Intent is the bigger thing when it comes to stuff like that. Look at it this way: Quite a number of us are experiences challenges such as health etc so micro aggressions and the kind of situations where you feel you're walking on eggs shells isn't something we're needing cos we're here to talk about stuff and maybe take our minds away from such everyday challenges.

bluemooze and crispi like this.
  16. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Wow. I like the tapping arrangement on electric guitar, but this arrangement is way beyond that as far as difficulty is concerned. Good luck with learning this transcription!

Bachtoven likes this.
  17. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

My remark was more of an afterthought than a brazen challenge, but I guess it don't matter nohow. I ain't even gonna look at that thread no more.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  18. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Marriner & Son. My wife thought this was more Mozart clarinet music. An excellent release from 1992, recorded in Walthamstow Assembly Hall, July & October 1990.

Marzz, royzak2000, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  19. coopmv

I heard about this recording but do not own it. IIRC, Alfred Brendel and his son also made a recording on Philips (or Decca) together ...

20. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I quite honestly don't know how many RtR decks I have -- but clearly I have too many!

21. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I used to make live recordings where there was no opportunity to flip the tape, so I would use a 2,400 ft. reel, or even a 3,600 ft. reel-- not wanting to compromise on quality by using a lower speed. The 2,400 ft. and 3,600 ft reels had drawbacks, with thinner tape being more susceptible to print-thru or stretching. Eventually I started using decks with 10-1/2" reels for live recording with thicker tape.

22. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

Mine's on the way from .de

Sorcerer and ubertrout like this.
  23. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I have that as well. I prefer Gardiner’s Venice recording, though.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  24. Mowgli

16" of heavy wet snow here in Clinton Mass.
    2 driveways & over 25' of walkways
    and a shovel
    Glad my cardiologist said my stress test was textbook perfect last week
    I like shoveling but only so much already
    Ibuprofen's my friend

I played some Haydn Symphonies earlier.
    Now I'm watching the 3rd episode in a row of Britannia on Amazon Prime (71% on Rotten Tomatoes)
    Hurdy Gurdy Man is the intro song.
    Strange choice for a brutal historical show but I'm not complaining.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  25. Mowgli

There are a couple of RTR players advertised in the AK thread re: the Frankenfest in Sutton Mass this coming Saturday 3/10/18.
    PM for details if you're interested.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018