How "old" is 80s music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ribonucleic, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

I was a teen in high school in the mid 80's. I will be 50 in a few weeks. 80's music is old. LOL

I heard 50's music quite a bit in the 80's. CBS FM played all oldies from the fifties and early sixties at The time. In fact I saw a concert with Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry and Duane Eddy at the time

2. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

A lot of that music from the 80's has really aged well and we sometimes forget about the experimentation that occurred. Spirit of Eden from Talk Talk is one of those stellar works that I'm willing to bet most people haven't heard or have maybe forgotten about.

3. Holmes

Holmes Active Member

Old? Nah. In fact I'm just now getting into it.

Kahunasunset likes this.
  4. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

It's old, but still 'younger', because the 80's had a lot of what teens still enjoy today. For starters, most big hits from the 80's have music videos to accompany them. On top of that 80's music icons have lived on very well and endeared. MJ is still very ever present and there isn't a place you look today in pop music where you can't see some of him. It's the same with Madonna, there's no way your looking at today's pop divas and not seeing some of Madonna's footprint.

I think teens today can relate to teens from the 80's, it helps that teens today are often times the children of teens of the 80's.

Anything before the 80's can be a blur, I mean they didn't even have music videos then, what's the point of watching something on YT if it doesn't have that vevo stamp to go with it

5. Holmes

Holmes Active Member

My wife still loves Def Leppard. Her son said Def Leppard was "golden oldies" lol

ARK and MitchLT like this.
  6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

80’s music is now lumped in with Classic Rock in my area. A significant amount of 70’s things have seemingly been retired, and replaced by U2, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi etc.

7. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

I'll see that and raise you this: I was watching Madonna's "Truth or Dare" with a 20something recently and the sections with Warren Beatty were playing. After about 20 minutes she asks me "so who is Warren Beatty-is he her manager?".

BluesOvertookMe and ribonucleic like this.
  8. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I'm in my early 40's, so my childhood took place in the 80's. I love 80's music, though I am pissed that bands like Motley Crue and Def Leppard are played on the local classic Rock station.

Somebody else said it earlier on in this thread; I still sort of think as the 80's only being like 10-20 years ago. I suppose that happens to everybody though.

I'm still waiting for shoulder pads to make a comeback.

905, Jack Lord and ChrisInKansas like this.
  9. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

People can say what they want. But to me, the 80's will always be the absolute best decade for music. No matter how old it gets, it remains awesome. Age or stupid, silly trends won't change that. I'd listen to any of the lamest, cheesiest tunes from that decade over anything from today.

10. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I guess it does depend. But if I put on Thompson Twins, Culture Club, China Crisis or Level 42, it seems a long time ago.

negative1 and AveryKG like this.
  11. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

This is so true, but put on the Smiths or the Blue Nile and it could be yesterday.

LivingForever likes this.
  12. teag

teag Forum Resident

I wish it was so old that it would not be heard again.

chervokas likes this.
  13. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

We've been in a retro '80s moment for a while now...Taylor Swift's 1989, the Drive soundtrack, Pitbull sampling A-ha..... This is a pretty good summary of the moment: It’s 2016. Why Are We Still Obsessed With the ’80s? (and it's not just '80 music, Stranger Things was in very much an '80s retro crazy product)...but I think we're mostly on the cusp more of a '90's revival now...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    ribonucleic likes this.
  14. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, for me, The Smiths haven't aged a day.

I figured their moroseness would speak to teens of any generation. But my wife, who works with them as a social worker, tells me they wouldn't even have heard of them.

15. You hope wrong. Rock marked a definitive break, which was intensified circa 1962-64, and so older music of the “rock era” will have more relevance than Pre-rock did 30+ years ago. Music from the ‘60s through the ‘90s still gets some play amount younger generations and has an influence. Plus, boomers and Xers are still an important demographic and they want to hear their formative music on the radio.

ARK and ribonucleic like this.
  16. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

:cop:

lesterbangs likes this.
  17. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

I would say it has aged at varying rates...

"80s" doesn't mean anything to me. It was an entire decade of incredibly diverse music.

Also, I was born in 1986, so I feel no allegiance or nostalgia for 80s.

I don't think this sounds old at all

18. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

You know what my next paragraph was going to contain? ...

“But when I listen to bands like The Blue Nile, that’s not the case”

No, really!

:cheers:

19. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

90's music sounds old to me, and I'm in my late 50's.

MitchLT likes this.
  20. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Good music is timeless.
    :cheers:

Chemguy likes this.
  21. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I'm with you, though there's plenty of '80s music I still like, the sound of the music of that era is just about the worst pop music sound I know. I've lived through the pop music of the '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, '00s, '10s, and of course I listen to the pop music of the '40s and '50s still sometimes...but man, to me, on a purely sonic, timbral, level, there's so much that's just kind of irritating, trashy, burdened by early digitalitis (all boom and sizzle no midrange) and, just flat out tastelessness. Even the music I like of that era -- some of the rock like The Smiths, the harmolodic funk of Ornette Coleman and Ronald Shannon Jackson, some of the Countrypolitan stuff, Husker Du -- I just don't like the sound of it very much. But there's some pop music of the era, like Public Enemy's It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, that to me still sounds so fresh and original and explosive.

blivet and teag like this.
  22. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

If I stop to think about, it it’s strange that 80s music (new and hip when I was a teenager) is now the default music piped in at supermarkets.
    I don’t feel 52 and to me 80s music doesn’t feel like oldies.
    Mathematically, the 80s Music today is the same nostalgia as 50s music in the 80s, but when you’re advancing in years right along with the music, you don’t feel the distance.

23. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

On the local active rock station, Z93, the 80s are relegated to their own Saturday night showcase. They focus on the 90s, 00s, and 10s.

24. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

And Morrissey's Solo Albums.

25. dammitjanet

dammitjanet Fun, natural fun

I've heard 90s music referred to as "classic" and it upset me. And you can't just lump 80s music with Classic Rock, that makes no sense! I feel it's descriptive of a style of music (guitar based 60s-70s rock) rather than music from X number of years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.