The Who Fillmore East 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whodanny, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Live At Leeds came with 13, I think, inserts of posters, photos, invoices, etc. upon first issue. That would be cool with this new release.

dee likes this.
  2. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

12 total, I believe.

3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I think the US cover for Who's Last (without the flag) is worse than the UK cover. And this new Fillmore cover is worse than either of them, in my opinion.

Below is what the bootleg record I bought in 1983 looks like. They might just as well have copied this if they wanted to emulate the Leeds "pseudo bootleg" concept. It's a better design than what they did use:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2018
    izgoblin, Paul K, slipkid and 7 others like this.
  4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The album cover depicts the psychedelic Joshua Light Show, which was the back drop used during performances at The Fillmore East.

[​IMG]

jay.dee, Quadboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

If that was the idea, they arguably failed on the execution.

izgoblin, jay.dee, jsayers and 7 others like this.
  6. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Arguably? I’d say demonstrably.

izgoblin, supermd, jay.dee and 12 others like this.
  7. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Ah. Well, something tells me that this cover will hardly to entice some honest comments other than "it's poor", forget that deserved iconic status of a concept art-like the 70s-rock-cover-art-masterpiece what Live At Leeds original 1970 LP cover really is. Filmore Eeast 1968 cover releases in 2018 is nothing, big zero, even Endless Wire cover is "something" in comparision with this.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  8. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Well, as far as the colors go, that's a fine theory. However, the lettering represents the standard stenciled lettering found on every band's road cases (equipment cases) back then (trust me, I was once a roadie). However, they were normally white letters on black cases, so the cover fits in with your observation.

9. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

This, exactly. It's also in keeping with the design choice for Live At Hull. As if they have some kind of idea for a live archive series, and these two are the start of it (no matter how far apart their respective releases have been). It's a design choice that may not be to everyone's taste, but it certainly seems to be a deliberate one, and if there are (fingers crossed) further releases then I think they'll follow this same bare-bones design theme. In this particular case, as it's from 1968 they're attempting to 'psychedelicise' the design while still retaining the basic thematic elements (whether or not The Who ever produced any genuinely psychedelic music is a whole other tab of LSD, of course).

I'm ambivalent over it myself, it neither pleases nor annoys me, it's just there. The music is the important thing.

10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

More than just the colors of the font, it was the textures and the round splotches dabbled on the cover that were strong clues. If not a representation of the psychedelic light show, what else could it represent - an ad for the Grinch Who Stole Christmas...??...;)

4/5/68
    [​IMG]

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

A cheap design aesthetic.

12. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Agreed. I find if kind of laughable that people are reading anything into this cover other than The Who and/or the label couldn't be arsed to spend the time to come up with anything more than this simple, slapdash cover. It makes the Stones' Blue and Lonesome cover look like frigging Sgt. Pepper by comparison.

13. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I hope they release some audio samples soon. We need something new to gripe about around here. . . ;)

jonj, izgoblin, supermd and 13 others like this.
  14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Yeah the art department for most of the classic rock acts seems to have shut down. Most new releases of old material, the artwork sucks

15. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I really don't give a monkey's about the cover, I'm just looking forward to the aural goodness within!

16. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

And once that happens....the cover will be a long distance memory. :)

marc with a c likes this.
  17. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

The Dave's Picks series is an example. Great music/lame art.

zongo, Matthew Tate and marmalade166 like this.
  18. Well mostly lame art. They've had a few that worked pretty well.

budwhite and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

There's not one that made me think, "Wow, cool," but some are worse than others.

Well, now that I think about it... Nah, I'm going to stick with my original opinion. I was going to say Vol. 16 is OK, but it really isn't.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Dick’s picks weren’t much better.
    Look at most of the recent releases by the classic bands :
    The Rolling Stones ON AIR - pretty bad
    The Beatles - Hollywood Bowl - hideous
    Kinks - Mono box - not a fan of the outer box

I’m sure I could come up with more

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Great picture...but that’s not “The Who”. It might make a great rear or gatefold pic though.

dee and Mark Wilson like this.
  22. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Do I recall reading earlier that the booklet features concert pics from Linda McCartney?
    How much is it to license pics for a album cover compared to booklet pics?
    I recall a story from Chris Charlesworth about the picture they wanted to use for the 30 years box set cover (by Anne Leibowitz?) and were quoted a ridiculous price.

dee likes this.
  23. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

As expected of a bootleg, the photo is not from 1968. The double neck guitar was played only in 1967.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

"Armenia City in the Sky" is psychedelic, with its backwards instrumentation and trippy lyrics. But they didn't write that one, Speedy "Something in the Air" Keene did. It's possible they never wrote any genuinely psychedelic music. The rest of The Who Sell Out has a poppy, Swinging London vibe, but that's not the same thing as psychedelia.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  25. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

True. Aside from Armenia, I Can See For Miles is probably the nearest the band got to it with one of Pete's compositions (though I also think Glow Girl is on the cusp). Pete's demos for Disguises and Melancholia were pretty out there, certainly more than the band's versions. But then, what is psychedelia?

Crimson Witch and Matthew Tate like this.