What was the impact of SGT PEPPER at the time it was released?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thestereofan, Sep 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

I was 14 when it came out in '67, I bet I listened to it 100 times the first week. Had the lyrics memorized quickly, sitting in a rocking chair in front of my record player, the only one in the house, my sisters , both younger, listened with me a lot. My older brother, by 4 years, too cool for anything this commercial, listened some. This album still holds a spell over me, I listen often, and think the 50th remix is the best it ever sounded. By the end of high school I was a jazz fusion enthusiast, and I still prefer instrumental music, but this album is special to me.

sekaer likes this.
  2. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I can't believe I read parts of this thread two plus years ago but have no memory of it; even 'like'ing a few posts.

That is the impact of this album.

PS: what happened to 'theMess'? (and don't say he got cleaned up).

3. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

tages likes this.
  4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Paulie on Pepper 20.

5. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

No. The suggested revisionism is all yours. At the time the media anticipation here in the UK was immense (and was just as large in the US IIRC) partly fuelled by the release of Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane as a double A sided single. That single got people wondering just what they were going to be coming up with next as it was known that they were back in the studio working on another album. Another thing you should remember is that there was a huge cultural shift going on which the mainstream media had latched on to and in most cases took seriously, Pop Art, Fashion, Music, Flower Power, Poetry, there was a blurring of the boundaries between what had been known as high art and pop culture. It is the time that Pepper was conceived in as much as anything, its emergence from that background that the hyperbole should be understood; and there was hyperbole, for example that bastion of establishment politics and culture here in the UK, The Times, ran a long scholarly article over several pages in their Sunday Supplement shortly before Pepper's release which would have reached a huge proportion of the literate population in the UK (IIRC Alan Aldridge provided illustrations for the article). The thing is that back then The Beatles were seen as being at the forefront of these cultural changes that were gathering pace at the exact time they were recording the album. The anticipation, hype too, was real; there was a tremendous sense that they were holed up in the studio producing something special, it was a massive media event waiting to happen and when it did the response from the media was overwhelming. It's a record that perhaps more than any other of theirs is wedded to the circumstances surrounding its creation, where they were seen as leaders in this cultural upheaval that was taking place, a more innocent time of optimism that was soon to dissipate. It was all real, believe me.

Crimson Witch, uzn007 and tages like this.
  6. Lucretius

Lucretius Forum Resident

Pepper had its' biggest impact on bubblegum groups. Nobody wants to talk about now 'cause it's embarrassing. Listen to '67-'68 records that sound the most like Pepper, they're by bubblegummers. So Pepper is basically psychedelic bubblegum which started to sound incredibly dated in a few months. The Beatles' '68 stuff sounds nothing like Pepper at all.

7. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

When The Beatles first appeared on Ed Sullivan they simply dominated the AM radio airwaves considering the teenage baby boomer market.

Then along came FM radio spinning records that were longer, heavier, & deeper by comparison resulting in a music underground renaissance while other groups were evolving.

By 1966 my guess is that The Beatles were no longer trying to gain the respect of their fans but their newfound peers.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  8. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

That's gold!

"...the Beatleologist listens so carefully that he can hear Ringo singing submarine in the third verse on the mono record, but clubmarine on the stereo. Beatleologists, in varying degrees of erudition, are the new breed of Beatles fan, and they may make the Beatles more contemplated than Buddha."

tages likes this.
  9. tages

tages Senior Member

I'm sure there's a hundred quotes by "non-bubblegum" groups that contradicts your post - come on man!

Colocally likes this.
  10. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Pepper's greatest demographic impact (at the time) was on potential heads in my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    zobalob and tages like this.
  11. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Anything the Beatles put out in 1963-1964 could have been a single. The U.S. market agreed since every B-side Capitol released up until "I'm Down" broke the streak charted in the Billboard Hot 100. And "I'm Down" was close to charting since it bubbled at 101. Even some Canadian releases made its way onto the chart. Even though Capitol milked the Beatles in 1964, they sure picked some good songs to be singles.

Culpa likes this.
  12. Cokeman118

Cokeman118 Forum Resident

Interesting comments from the audience

13. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

They must have picked a bad group of audience members, or audience members who were still reeling in the "bigger than Jesus" comments. Have they forgot about Revolver?? It was only released approximately 6 months ago.

That last guy Dick interviewed in the snippet was great though.

14. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I mentioned this show in an earlier post.

The funniest was the kid who just responded: Mick Jagger!

Yeah kid, just you wait...

15. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

For me every BEATLES album release was a big event. I bought anything they put out
    as soon as it was in the record store. My favorite tracks were Getting Better, and Good Morning. There wasn't anything special about the album since every Beatles album was special to me. That was about 50 years ago. I was
    what??? 15 years old I think. Having said that, I probably liked Revolver and Yesterday and Today just as much.

16. Great Music Lover

Great Music Lover Well-Known Member

The album seemed to be everywhere in the U.K. It seemed liked the tracks were getting played non stop on the pirate radio stations, Radio London and Radio Caroline. The weekly music papers, NME, Record Mirror, Disc and Melody Maker were full of reviews. Windows in record shops were full of the album covers. Even a month or so after it’s release, on holiday on the east coast of the U.K. where both of the above pirate station ships were moored, transistor radios on the beach were still playing songs from the album. It was an amazing time.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    zobalob likes this.
  17. Great Music Lover

Great Music Lover Well-Known Member

Probably not goosebumps, but it was a way out feeling of amazement. In fact the whole album was amazing. I was 17 at the time and in the U.K., you would have had to be living in a cave not to know of its existence. Just walking by the window of a record shop that were full of displays said it all.

bherbert and zobalob like this.
  18. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

That guy with the last word .... classic ! :righton:

zobalob, jamesmaya and Hall Cat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.