Which AC/DC CD Version Of Back In Black Is Better, the JP For AU CD or Barry Diament?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Superrayman3, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Superrayman3

Superrayman3 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Lately I've been on a BIB binge and as I was listening to the various BIB CD masterings I got to thinking which of the 2 highest ranked BIB CD's is actually the best, on the one hand you have the Japan for AU CD from the 1980's which is a very warm sounding album overall, good and subtle EQ, very crankable, honestly you can't go wrong with this one, on the other hand you have the Barry Diament mastering which is coveted by many a AC/DC collector as his mastering uses the original master tapes and the quality shines through, like the JP for AU CD the Barry CD is also a very warm CD, subtle EQ, very crankable as well, honestly both versions are excellent sounding but I'm curious to hear your thoughts, which of these two versions would you guys consider to be the definitive CD version of BIB?

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Haven't heard that Japan for Europe mastering, but I love my Barry Diament (Japan for Japan second pressing.)

I didn't vote.

scobb, Remy and rcsrich like this.
  3. Superrayman3

Superrayman3 Forum Resident Thread Starter

This wasn't a Japan for Europe CD, it was strictly released in Australia in the 1980's and to the best of my knowledge this mastering was never released on any international CD pressings it's a bit pricier but it can be found from time to time, search around you may find something that you can get for a reasonable price.

4. George P

George P Notable Member

Sorry I read AU as EU.

I am very happy with my Diament 20P2, so I won't be seeking out other masterings.

5. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I've only ever heard the Atlantic vinyl and it sounds perfect.

LloydTheVoid likes this.
  6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Not heard the Albert, the Barry sounds wonderful.

8. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

That's a cool looking disc!

Scope J likes this.
  9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I’m afraid this poll isn’t going to work. The Albert CD is too uncommon.

scobb, Mark J, ispace and 5 others like this.
  10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

...me want..me covet...

11. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I am sure there are more than just two different masterings among the CD versions released up to 1990, e.g. the Atlantic 32XD-320 or the Albert Made By Distronics.

Detroit Rock Citizen and ispace like this.
  12. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

From my experience, the rarest and the best sounding (meaning, closest to Robert Ludwig vinyl mastering) CD is the earliest WEA/SRC plant pressing using the WG Polygram stamper or glass master. This disc was manufactured by WEA's then newly opened SRC plant (1986) when SRC still did not have the ability to produce its own glass master. It is interesting that although WEA had the original digital transfer by Barry Diament, it had to ask WG Polygram to send over their stamper or glass master to make their first CD run of Back in Black. I am not sure whether these so-called Generation Zero SRC discs were sold commercially or they were only circulated for testing or demonstration purposes, but they are incredibly difficult to find, as not many appear to have been made.

It is also interesting that while the WG Polygram CD pressing and SRC Generation Zero CD pressing have the exact same matrix (meaning, from the same glass master), they sound noticeably different in favor of SRC Generation Zero CD. The WG Polygram disc actually sounds worse than the JVC Japan for US CD pressing of this album. Weird.

Also, I have noticed that no one here has ever pointed out that the earliest CD pressing of this album in the world (which was released here in the U.S.) has a slightly different artwork than slightly later but still very early CD pressings of this album released in the U.S.

13. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I have an original Atlantic disc but it is made in Canada. Not sure if it is the Diament but it sounds pretty good to me. Better than the Marino remaster.

14. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

They all sound good.
    Just get an early Atlantic pressing, you've got the Diament one.

SOONERFAN, Carlox and bruce2 like this.
  15. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Forum Resident

I haven't heard the Japan disc, but Barry's BIB is one of the best-sounding CDs I own :righton:

Detroit Rock Citizen and Scope J like this.
  16. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

Not quite sure where this fits in, but I have a US JVC copy:
    AC/DC - Back In Black

17. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Senior Member

I have a german pressing of this one. From what I gather it's not the Diament mastering. We really need a blind listening test...

18. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

Long ago, I believe Barry Diament posted in this forum saying he was able to use the master tape for Back In Black.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  19. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Regarding Identical discs that a tiny faction always claim that the most rare [and usually most expensive] one sounds best; Do not trust anyone but yourself! I do suggest all learn the tech deeply and most importantly do their own compares blindly on fully warmed up gear to form their own conclusions. Of course the $ [desperately trying to hold on to their salad days of high priced physical digital media] and ego folks would never want you to do that :) .

I have both the Japan for AU Albert, and many of the Diaments [32xd,20p2,1986 SRC 01 "no prefix, early DADC 1986 SRC 01 no prefix, WG+Germany for US, JVC Japan for US] of course all the Diaments sound the same, uhmm given they are, and it's really too close to call vs the Japan Albert. Both the Albert and Diament are excellent and can be cranked. In my opinion these are 2 winners no reason to belittle either one. From $ standpoint the Diament can be obtained, at least in my area, for about $2USD, so go grab one.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  20. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

Your US JVC copy is from late 1987 to the late 80's and sounds the same as the earlier JVC Japan for US, and is the second best sounding CD of Back In Black from my experience. But since the the so-called Generation Zero disc is almost impossible to find, I would just stick with your US JVC if I were in your situation.

leonafonte likes this.
  21. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Very interesting. Has this pressing been discussed elsewhere? How can you identify it if it has the same matrix as the WG Polygram?

22. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

OK. I may have misunderstood your other post. I thought you had said that the Japan for US didn't sound as good as the WEAs.

23. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

German pressing too?

24. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Anyone can tell me, which is Diament‘s mastering.

I have two Atlantics with the letters of the band and title completely filled with white. And one Atlantic with the band name in outline

16018-2 113772D made in USA by WEA

A2 16018 distributed by Columbia House (I think that‘s the canadian pressing)

16018-2 7567-81472-2 German

WERNER 1 likes this.
  25. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I have the non-club retail edition. His name is not listed in the liner notes, but it was mastered by Barry, based on the Discogs page:
    AC/DC - Back In Black