Did anyone here become a Beatles fan in the 90's or later?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I started out as a hard rock fan, and then I was in a band in high school (early '80's) where the drummer was fanatical about the Beatles, and that turned me off. So I didn't really get into them until maybe within the last 5 to 10 years. Great writers. They innovated.

I was telling a friend recently, you know how the live scene changed in the late 60's? Think of Pete Townshend's quote that a single had to be "2 minutes 50" in the Kids are Alright. To a 15 minute version of My Generation at Leeds. :)

I really wish the Beatles had taken part in that live transition along with the Who, Cream, the Stones, Jimi Hendrix, etc.

2. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

I asked the guitarist in my band, a huge Beatles fan, to make me a couple of mix tapes of their stuff. This would've been around '93, while I was in high school. I dug it. It was cool because he didn't include all of the obvious songs, so I ended up getting into more obscure things like I've Just Seen A Face and You Never Give Me Your Money. Soon after that I was at my singer's house and we listened to about half of Pepper and I had to have it. I got it for Christmas that year and I loved it. Within You Without You especially blew my mind. I had never heard anything like that in my life. Quickly became obsessed after that. I loved it when the Anthology came out. I watched every episode on TV and went to the midnight sale of Anthology 1 at Tower Records. That was such a fun night, being a Beatles fan among other Beatles fan...it was like a giant party. That was on the night that the first volume was aired, I believe. I remember a dude playing Beatles songs outside Tower and one of them was Free as a Bird. I was impressed that he'd already learned it! I didn't know that it was available on boots for 15 years or so. That was fun time to be a new Beatles fan.

Tuco and andrewskyDE like this.
  3. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

They're a great band, but I would never vote them #1 for that reason. And it's a shame too because the reason they quit the road became a non issue within a year or two of their last live show.

4. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Yes- the 1890's.

5. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Yes late 90s

6. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

I was 3 in 1989 and neither of my parents are what you would call music fans.

Didn't really discover them until around 2005 or so. Took me longer to really get into them.

7. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

15 tabs?

That's all? hahaha...

8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I was 9 or 10 when I started loving them and it was in the late 1990s.

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

You have the advantage of understanding all of the words to Komm, gib mir deine Hand and Sie liebt dich (I assume). :)

andrewskyDE likes this.
  10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Actually I got to know the german versions very late, when I bought the Capitol Albums Volume 1 CD set and the 2009 Past Masters.^^

11. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I absolutely loved the Beatles as a 6 to 10 year old.My tastes were always expanding and eventually didn`t listen to much Beatles for years on tapes or records.Still every now and then whenever I heard a Beatles song out of the blue unexpectedly I still enjoyed it and would be tapping or singing along in a car,supermarket or anyplace.I never got around to collecting the entire catalogue until years later.

12. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Mid 2000’s for me.

13. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

Does going through a long wilderness phase of disavowal after discovering post-punk at age 14 with stuff like Joy Division/The Fall/Wire and then moving into 80s indie rock and 60s proto-punk and the VU before finally coming back in your mid-twenties to the band that you listened to solidly through the ages of 7-13 and saying ..."yeah they pretty effin' amazing" count?

14. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I was 12 when the Anthology series aired on TV. I didn't know much about the Beatles at all until then, except that they were English and I could recognize maybe 3-4 of their songs if I happened to hear them on the radio or at someone's house.

I recall my parents not ever showing a whole lot of interest in music, and certainly never tuning in to music programing that was shown on TV, so it was surprising that my mom and dad were both very interested in sitting down and watching the Beatles Anthology all the way through. That perked my attention to "This is a big deal."

So I watched it all with them and got swept up it all, the humble beginnings, the mania, the psychedelics, the whole ride. It was wild to be baptized into the Beatles in such an intense and condensed way, night after night. It really changed me.

I started saving up and buying the band's CDs one by one after that as I could find them.

5th-beatle and richarm like this.
  15. kingofthejungle

kingofthejungle Forum Resident

The Anthology came out when I was 12 and got me interested in the Beatles. They were basically everything I listened to (and I listened obsessively) between 12-14, so much so that I kind of burned myself out on them for a long while. I might be considered a casual fan now, I guess. I bought the Mono box a few years ago — listen to something from it every once in a blue moon.

16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Btw, the first Beatle I got to know was John.
    There was a documentary about him on TV sometime in the early 1990s and I asked my mom who that fat bearded guy is.
    Eventually I heard a couple of Fabs songs on the radio (obviously 'Yesterday' and 'Help!') before I got my first LP of them (the Blue Album).
    The first song that actually really introduced me to them was 'Strawberry Fields Forever' which still is one of my favorites.

17. Cokeman118

Cokeman118 Forum Resident

I didn't get into the Beatles until the hype about Beatles Rockband came out, around 2008 or so. At that point I'm in my early 30's. Yes, I knew of the Beatles... but I didn't actively listen to them, thought they were over rated. One of my friends mom was a huge Beatles fan... One time she asked me If I knew who Paul McCartney was, I was like "Paul who?" Of course she looked at me like I'm crazy for not knowing. My wife was a big Beatles fan, so she kind of got me into them also. Then she told me about the Paul Is Dead clues and I was hooked. I've really been a huge fan ever since, especially a Paul fan.

18. JimmieP

JimmieP Forum Resident

Same as OP for me, Anthology is what got me in. I was an 14 yr old Brit-pop Blur/Oasis fan and kept reading how they were ripping off the 60's acts, Kinks, Stones, Beatles...etc and thinking I should probably go an listen to some of it, then Anthology hit. I watched the TV series before I'd heard anything (other than vague memories of hearing the odd song on radio), and just dived in from there. I remember switching from an Oasis fan to slating them for 'ripping off the Beatles' in about a week! I've since changed my tune and now enjoy Oasis for what they are without the chip on my shoulder about them.

I have a strong memory of watching the promo for Hello Goodbye on the Anthology TV series and just loving it, to the point that I taped the audio of it onto cassette by holding as mic up to the TV speaker. I then went and bought the Free As A Bird CD single, as it was about all I could afford at the time.

Soon it became a case of saving up the paper round money to buy a 1987 master CD release every month or so, which at the time was quite an expensive way of acquiring the music. For those in the UK that remember 'Our Price' record shops, typically a Beatles 1987 CD retailed at about £15.99 GBP (about $22.00 USD). My paper round paid £8.00 GBP a week. I remember that the White Album was the last one I bought, 2-CD fat box, which I paid a whopping £31.99 GBP ($44.00 USD) for in about 1996! That's same price I paid for the Mono Vinyl version of it in 2014!

Since then I've been through all the 1987 CDs, the 2009 Mono and Stereo CDs, Love DVD-A, Yellow Submarine Song-track, Let It Be Naked..., Anthology CDs, BBC 1994 and the remaster/Vol.2 - those have all been and gone - sold to finance the purchase UK yellow and black Parlophone LPs for Please Please Me through Let It Be, in mono and stereo, a few silver box 70's Parlophone LPs, Magical Mystery Tour Horzu, and a few 2014 Mono LPs. Plenty of boots on the NAS too.

The only releases I haven't really bothered with are the Red and Blues albums, 1 (though I have the 1+ Bluray set) and the Hollywood Bowl, Star Club, Rarities etc.

The only artist I've done a deeper dive into is Dylan, where the amount of material is on a different scale...

Tuco likes this.
  19. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Weird! My teen years were 1983-1990, and I bought my first Beatles record in 1978! :)

Duke Fame likes this.
  20. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

For all the 'Oasis ripped off the Beatles' thing - I believe they were really just 'into' the mid-60s way of things, and maybe in even more a 'Mod' fashion way. Sure, they had a melodic guitar-based approach as well as the haircuts - but really it was an easy way for the press, the critics and Americans to review them and a clever way for Oasis to market themselves as delivering Beatle-quality music. They really did benefit from being associated with the Beatles, though, whether it actually comes through in the music or not. For instance, did anyone ever mistake Oasis for the Beatles when an Oasis song came ont the radio? Of course not. They were into the image and the vibe, but it was not a note-for-note rip off.

Ironically, the two albums that you don't have - the Red and the Blue - are the two Beatles albums that got the Gallagher brothers into the Beatles when they were kids - so concise and arresting are the scope of those two albums.

21. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I've tried many times since the 1990s without having any success.

Hillel abramov likes this.
  22. Funny enough I started listening to The Beatles via first listening to Oasis.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

My kids did, and they have seen 2 Paul shows, 2 Ringo shows and Love already at age 10.

24. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

My colleague introduced me to them in 2004. I was 20 at the time. He burned me cd’s of all the albums after Help! I remember being thrilled by Revolver which would have been the 87 stereo cd. The White Album also got played a lot. Those 2 albums got me into the Beatles. I played nothing but the Beatles for months on end, believing that they were the greatest band of all time and also bought and studied the Anthology book. Then I experienced 13 years of Beatles burn out. Joined SHF and started listening again. Bought the mono cd box and all the remixes. I’m back into them. I still think they are the best rock band ever but I’m careful not to listen too much lest the burnout returns.

25. I was born in 1982 and became a fan in the mid 90s when my dad bought Sgt Pepper on CD. I had heard the Beatles before on the radio and my dad's old tapes, although I always liked it I didn't become a fan until hearing Sgt Pepper on CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.