Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to CD 15 from "Mercury Living Presence Vol. 2".

"Beethoven - Symphony No. 7" performed by the London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Antal Dorati.

[​IMG]

Marzz, vanhooserd, bigstar87 and 5 others like this.
  2. bluemooze

First listen to CD 22 from "RCA Living Stereo Vol. 1".

"Offenbach - Gaite parisienne" performed by the Boston Pops led by Arthur Fiedler.
    "Rossini/Respighi - La boutique fantasque" performed by the Boston Pops led by Arthur Fiedler.

[​IMG]

3. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Spotify Premium. CD 5 - Brian Newbould's reconstruction of Symphonies "7" and "10". Interesting enough for an occasional listen, I guess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Mowgli, ShallowMemory, Marzz and 4 others like this.
  4. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

from the Fricsay complete Orchestral works for DG:
    [​IMG]
    Absolutely incredible performance! Very good, clear mono sound. This might be my new favorite recording of this piece

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    WriteFace, Marzz, Wes H and 5 others like this.
  5. David*M

David*M Forum Resident

I just ordered this Fricsay box from Amazon Italy - currently $80 delivered to the US, a considerable discount from the Amazon US price. Looking forward to diving into it in a couple weeks!

crispi, bluemooze and bigstar87 like this.
  6. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I visited Oxford sort of by accident on one trip. We rented a car at Heathrow to drive to the Cotswolds. It was the Monday on a Bank Holiday weekend and traffic was so bad, it took us most of the afternoon to get as far as Oxford. We decided to stop there hoping the traffic would be better the next day. We spent most of the next day walking around Oxford before continuing to the Cotswolds.

ShallowMemory and bluemooze like this.
  7. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

Good deal! I actually just received it a couple of weeks ago and have enjoyed everything I've heard so far:righton:

8. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Listened to CD1 from the following twofer over my just completed late afternoon walk ...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  9. coopmv

I have owned the following Philips box for years ...

[​IMG]

sherrill50 and bluemooze like this.
  10. coopmv

It is time to move the clock forward by one hour again this weekend. What a boondoggle? We hardly had a winter ... :crazy::thumbsdow

ShallowMemory likes this.
  11. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Biggs recorded on a bunch of European organs.

12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Caballero's transcriptions of movements from "Iberia" must be transcendentally difficult to play, but he plays them beautifully.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Eigenvector like this.
  13. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

It’s perfectly okay with me if you don’t like Biggs—or anyone else that I express a preference for. It doesn’t rattle my cage in the slightest. :)

Of the organists you mentioned, I have many recordings by Peter Hurford and Marie-Claire Alain, and I highly respect both of them. In fact, I’ve heard both of them perform live.

Biggs may have settled in Cambridge, MA, but he made most of his recordings in Europe. Just now I can’t think of a single recording I have (among many) where Biggs did not perform on the original instrument that the composer played –or, if that instrument no longer exists, Biggs went to the same hall or church where the composer performed. He felt that hearing the sounds and sonorities that the composer heard would add perspective to his approach.

IMHO he made some great recordings. If I get some time this weekend, I’ll post pictures of a few of my favorites.

14. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Now you need to watch the "Inspector Morse" series!

julesd68 likes this.
  15. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

That glass entrance is an ugly pimple on that once-handsome church. The architect who suggested it should have been sent packing.

Marzz, vanhooserd and bluemooze like this.
  16. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Yes!... and that organ at Adlington Hall is shown on the cover of Bigg's "Historic Organs of England" album from 1970. (It's one of seven English organs he plays.) Do you live near this?

[​IMG]

He comments on the Adlington Hall organ-- played by Handel on more than one occasion:
    "...the oldest of original English organs... thought to have been built around 1670... the organ gallery is partially supported by the trunks of two oak trees that formed the main uprights of a Saxon hunting lodge, pre-dating 1066, in the Forest of Macclesfield."

17. Now spinning this very lush recording. A great sense of depth. The flute playing is as smooth as it comes with this wooden device.
    [​IMG]

Eigenvector, WriteFace and bluemooze like this.
  18. coopmv

This is one of the four recordings in my Quantz's collection ...

19. It's wonderful. That concerto in A minor is almost tear inducing. I've got to get as much Quantzs as I can, but I'm afraid there is a lot on LP only that I just can't play.

20. coopmv

There are just not that many Quantz recordings out there and if you want to get one, you have to go with Naxos ...

EVOLVIST likes this.
  21. Yeah, I posted a link a while back with all of the Quantz recordings. Many are OOP. In the end, though, I think only 79 of his works have ever been recorded, while there are many more extant scores which nobody has taken the time to touch.

22. coopmv

IIRC, that villain Antonio Salieri, aka the Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's murderer, was supposed to have composed many works as well ...

This is his only recording in my collection. Before I was even through with the first movement of the first piano concerto, I already knew I was listening to the work by a second-rate composer ...

[​IMG] :agree:

bluemooze likes this.
  23. Haha! That is too funny! Funny, also, that I was reading Salieri's wiki page last night, and according to the page the claim is that, indeed, his intrumental music is second-rate, but supposedly there's a good chunk of his operas that are sublime. I wouldn't know, though.

Perhaps I'll pick up one of the more highly rated ones and give it a whirl.

24. bluemooze

I can't find it on Amazon. Do you know where it's available?

25. coopmv