Oppo Sonica DAC Being Dropped

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Standingstones, Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident Thread Starter

I went Oppo's website and saw that the Sonica DAC was no longer being shown. I emailed Oppo and was told that the Sonica was being dropped from their lineup. I emailed again because I asked if there was a replacement coming and my question wasn't answered in the first email. No answer yet.

2. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Seems like they're leaving the audio only sector. I was surprised when they didn't update the very popular HA-1, now the portable HA-2se is gone, the PM-2 phones are gone and the PM-1 phones are out of stock.

3. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident Thread Starter

I received a reply concerning a replacement for the Sonica. There will be no future DACs from Oppo.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  4. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Figures. I just ordered a Sonica DAC three days ago.

5. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Wow. They’ve had universally good reviews in the Hi Fi press for their DACs and headphones and now they’re dropping them? Shame.

6. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

This is unfortunate news. Their headphones were/are very good. The PM1 and PM2 especially. I've been hopeful and optimistic that Oppo would do an improved version of the PM1 and PM2. The Audio Zenith modded PM2 headphones are an example that there is/was room for improvement. And I was hopeful and optimistic that Oppo would do an improved version. But it seems that is not going to happen now. Bummer. If anyone gets a chance to try the Audio Zenith headphones, they're awesome. And the stock PM1 and PM2 are good too.

7. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I did consider at the time their HA-1 because it looked cool and received excellent reviews. It looks like it's a company decision to get out of the audio market altogether and I doubt if they will share their reasons with the public.

8. BIGGER Dave

Since Oppo has a 30 Day trial period, I now have two decide if I’ll keep the Sonica DAC. Discontinuing it most likely means no additional R&D for the product, which means no further firmware updates, and ultimately support for MQA and gapless playback will never happen. What it does have going for it is most reviews states it sounds pretty darn good.

9. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Wait up. Are you saying that this DAC is incapable of playing a rip of Dark Side Of The Moon without jamming silence between the songs?

10. BIGGER Dave

I haven’t received it yet so I’m not speaking from firsthand knowledge, but yes, that’s what I’ve read here on the SH Forum and numerous reviews. I understand this is a deal breaker for some, but for me it’s not. The outstanding SQ (for the money) that many reviewers have reported is what won me over.

11. ddhd

ddhd Forum Resident

Kind of a bummer as I've never ownered a DAC and this pcs of equipment with its versatility was exactly what I was looking for. I was appreciative of the knowledge that it's was a newly designed device by a respected company with longevity, solid R&D, with the prospect of continued support on its device app.

Robert C likes this.
  12. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

The PM-3 is no slouch either.

Sorry to learn OPPO is making this move.

13. Sevoflurane

I guess the audio side is much less profitable than the disc player side. Shame. I will keep my Oppo HA2 and PM3 running as long as possible.

Gardo likes this.
  14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I don't think there's anything mysterious going on. They dipped their toe into a very competitive market, and after disappointing sales decided to focus on the high end blu ray player market they basically have a monopoly on. I'd do the same in their shoes.

recstar24, gd0 and Agitater like this.
  15. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

Well, I would have bought the 205 if the Sonica did not exist. Some of us only want the audio portion.

mreeter likes this.
  16. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

OPPO makes great multi player machines. I love them!
    But Redbook and SACD discs need better players for audio digital bliss.

17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Sounds like a company that's decided to focus on core product.

18. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I'm not so sure. Ten years ago maybe, but even then that was pushing it.

gd0 and Agitater like this.
  19. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

The UDP 205 just got MQA playback capability.

20. Sevoflurane

Gapless playback over a network from a media server appears to be an issue for a number of DACs. The Oppo DACS have no problems with gapless if a USB connection is used. I believe there isn’t a common agreed protocol for gapless playback over a network and whether it works or not is also dependent on the server software in use.

21. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

Actually What Hi-Fi was not too impressed by the Sonica. They gave it 3 out of 5 stars.

22. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

I don't think the Sonica got the same praise the HA-1 received. That was a nice piece.

23. padreken

padreken Senior Member

Love my PM-3's, great for long flights.

Gardo and Sevoflurane like this.
  24. BIGGER Dave

What HiFI was the only member of the Press that I recall giving the Sonica DAC a “meh”. The Absolute Sound gave it an Editors’ Choice Award in 2018. Oppo’s webpage for the Sonica lists 17 favorable reviews:

OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer

25. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

In about a month or two you can probably get them real cheap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.