New Simple Minds album, "Walk Between Worlds", set for release 02/02/2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Also back then, some CD players would not play that CD due to the black surface.

Surly likes this.
  2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I listened to Cry yesterday. It's a melodic, light and unpretentious album.

3. Dil

Dil Forum Resident

I remember Kerr saying they wanted a short, stuctured pop album with melodic flair. Lovely, lilting group of tunes. A particular fave of mine as I went to see em live in Taormina in 2002 on the back of it. A beautiful sun kissed experience for 2 weeks on that rather magical little town!

Havoc, mrbiggs, DTK and 1 other person like this.
  4. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I've been following Jim's Facebook posts the past couple days while was visiting New York. He mentioned talking to a promoter about a possible US tour. I hope it happens! They sold out the venue here in Los Angeles last time...

Havoc and DTK like this.
  5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Now listening to Vol 1 and 2 of this - two live freebie cds given away with Sunday Express in the UK in 2007.
    Pretty good. Both discs are filled out by ambient tracks by one Austin Stuart Hanlin. No one seems to know who the dude is and why the tracks (pleasant) are on there.

Havoc and bob60 like this.
  6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Looks promising! Apparently it's not that for easy European bands touring the US anymore; lots of related costs and paperwork to wade through.

Surly likes this.
  7. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Thats really weird.

bob60 and DTK like this.
  8. Dave 81828384

OMD manages it for their releases. Going to Toronto on Monday to see them.

Maybe if Simple Minds scaled back their live performance.... oh wait they just increased the band to 7 :rolleyes:

Havoc and DTK like this.
  9. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

They could be like the Stone Roses and have a dude dancing on the side......so, it could be worse.

DTK and Dave 81828384 like this.
  10. Radical347

Radical347 Well-Known Member

ian christopher likes this.
  11. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

This was The Floating World tour if I remember correctly. We took our new little girl back to Ca. when I got some leave time and got to go to Clear Lake to see them at the weirdest venue where they literally served you dinner before the show. Sound was awful but they played a blazing set. Best thing was that the people staying at the resort had no idea who the band was so you could sit and chat with them after the show in the little lounge. There was hot woman making time with Mel, I just remember her clinging to her pack of Marlboro Lights while talking to him. We ran into Jim out in the parking lot before he got on a shuttle to go hit the bars in town, I had forgotten that he and Charlie were quite a bit shorter than you'd imagine after seeing them on telly. Ran into Eddie and Andy who were both quite tall and unimpressed with it all. C'est la vie.

Dil, mrbiggs, ian christopher and 2 others like this.
  12. Dave 81828384

:laugh:

I remember seeing Peter Gabriel in 82. Had floor seats in the Montreal Forum and they opened the show by walking from the back of the rink to the stage. I couldn't believe how I towered over Gabriel (I'm 5'11"). Even funnier, Tony Levin (that bald, stick playing giant I'd seen twice with King Crimson) wasn't any taller. :unhunh:

Havoc, ian christopher and DTK like this.
  13. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

That lady talking to Mel from from our table. The food was good but the fog generator up front messed with my sinuses that night.

14. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I saw that tour in NYC when I lived there. I had a front row seat, off to the left...so I was standing right by Charlie. It was great to just watch him play up that close. Hung outside afterward and got all 3 of 'em to sign my Cry CD booklet.

Dave 81828384, Stuart S and DTK like this.
  15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

A far cry from Live Aid :). But the Floating World was kindnof where they got their mojo back? Lots of older obscure numbers onbthe setliat.

Dil likes this.
  16. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

So you were there? Surreal. Members of the band I was in while in college were there that night telling me how they were playing a venue larger than that ballroom the next night and wanted me to come see them. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe that Jim. Charlie and Mel were right there a few feet from my table where we just ate dinner and a few feet away from this pear shaped dude in a Titleist hat who had no clue who they were. Then again, it's happened to plenty of bands, that fame is fleeting and you have to grab it for all it's worth when it's there. Look at the Stone Roses, even Oasis to a degree even though I'd bet the name alone would sell out pretty large places in a heartbeat whereas SM just seemed to have lost that rabid part of the fan base. They had to trade new fans for old I guess.

I hadn't heard any of the new songs that night but there was a video for "One Step Closer" on a little monitor and I was pretty smitten with the song and hoping it was their new one. I asked Jim out in the parking lot but some guy with dip in his lip was talking to him like they were going to hop in his pickup and shoot some deer just for the hell of it. I had Jim sign my copy of Neaopolis, he looked at it like it fell down from Mars. It was the version in the tin. A funny aside, my wife....who sort of fell for me because I have a passing resemblance to Jim.....talked mightily of how hot he was and what she'd do to him back in the day.............hid behind me the entire time Jim was within kissing distance from me. I turned to her and asked is she wanted me to pin him down so she could put some walk behind the talk and I got slugged. Prolly had it comin' :love:

I got some forgiveness cos' I was to be at Travis in two days so I could go back and join my unit in La. while she got to stay in Ca. and live it up. That whole specter of being away for a year was always hiding beneath the awesomeness of that night where I got to just walk up and chat with members of my favorite band cos' they plummeted so far that they were playing a dinner show. Sur........real.

17. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Played the new Simple Minds CD and sadly it’s a shell of the body of work they produced in the 1980s and early 1990s
    I just didn’t enjoy it.

Stuart S likes this.
  18. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Give it more time. It didn't grab me on the first couple of plays but I really like it now. Much better than Big Music.

Audioresearch, DTK and ranasakawa like this.
  19. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I agree with you on Big Music, I actually threw that one out, to the local donation shop

20. Dave 81828384

I've only manage to listen to it twice (doesn't grab me either). On the bright side, thats twice the number of times I listened to Acoustic.:laugh:

Stuart S likes this.
  21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I do think the in ya face b**ch mix and mastering detracts from what is a solid album.

sunking101 and Dave 81828384 like this.
  22. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Agreed but sadly that's a problem which affects most albums these days. At least I can actually listen to this one unlike Noel Gallagher's which quickly went out of rotation due to ear fatigue. The beauty of this album is in the second half. It starts well, has a bit of a lull where I'm questioning the album's quality but then it finishes on three fabulous songs and I end up being fully satisfied. For me it's their best album in a long while because it just works.

I own the regular and deluxe versions, being a completist/mug, but do find that the regular version is a much better listening experience. The album length and final track work really well and I come away from the album thinking it's fab. I know it's a similar vibe to Big Music but where that one is a meandering and overlong ride of varying quality, this one is a shorter stab of much higher quality and it contains no duffers. It feels like an album rather than a collection of songs and overall I'm very impressed.
    :edthumbs:

Havoc, JeffMo and DTK like this.
  23. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I'm nowhere near the wordsmith you are but I could have written this. Definitely two acts here with the 1st side being forward looking, more technology driven with 2 killer tracks IMO (Magic, Signal) packaging two pretty good to great tracks.......In Dreams is just out of place and they corrected it in the setlist I think, as much as I want to get to Signal, I put Dreams as #4 and the album works much, much better. I haven't got the ear fatigue from the Gallagher album, we're actually back in Ca. for a wedding and are seeing him tonight. I love his new album, I can listen to him tell the story of how it was made for hours.

Anywho, great post. Glad you like the album, seems it works for you the same way it does me. Jim was in NY promoting it and the talk of a SM/Pretenders tour has me hopeful they'll try and tour the states again. It was interesting to learn that a significant amount of the album was already made by the time Charrisse and Catherine were brought into the mix. I'd be interested to find out what happened with Andy and Mel that much more now as it looks like Mel was on the record or in recording it part of the way maybe? Or are some confident that his input were tracks that were laid down years ago?

sunking101 and DTK like this.
  24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I was annoyed when people were all "where's Mel and Andy" during the album launch. Get with the program. But listening to the gigs from the recent tour they have a point. Though no doubt talented musicians, Cherisse and Catherine do not have the skills required to make Simple Minds songs work on stage. The original keyboard and the drum parts are essential dna of the songs. Andy was very good at replicating those parts, and Mel is a powerhouse.

Dil and Stuart S like this.
  25. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

My issues come from the point of "again?" Especially given how well they righted the ship, putting out some good to great albums, pulling off the 5x5 Tour the way they did. Big Music seemed to be something more along the lines of releasing what they had compiled to keep themselves relevant, I like Big Music very much but more in the sense of how I appreciate Galore as a chronicle of a certain period of time. I figured the next release would be a proper album from the crew who had time to work together and was anticipating something great. The acoustic thing made me literally say "Huh?" Then seeing that little intro for WBW I'm just going "Not again". Then you see Mel's interview and he's at a bit of a loss. My theories are chronicled well here so I'll leave it at that. To your point, the live sets were fine but lacked punch and urgency. I don't think they contributed much to the album after learning what I have, hey.....it's Jim and Charlie's band, I get it. That said, Ged shouldn't be seen as more as a session and touring musician he gave the band a spark, one that Eddy didn't have. He just looks, plays and acts like a longtime member of the band. I think people who are members of a group tend to take more ownership of the songs even if it's on a subconscious level.
    Mel is a powerhouse and I can close my eyes and listen to the new versions vs. the Mel versions and spot the difference immediately. Andy is a wizard, "the professor" and he was a great fit for the band. So, I got with the program and accepted it...........the album is just great but it's very much a "project" with Charlie at the helm as opposed to a band getting in the studio and knocking things about. In the end, the music is quite good and I guess that's what counts.

mrbiggs, Dave 81828384 and DTK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.