The Doors - Live Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large Thread Starter

I thought it'd be interesting to revive this thread and remain mindful of forum rules.

One question I wanted to ask and may as well do it here to kick off the thread, I know that a track-by-track breakdown of Absolutely Live (venues/dates) exists, but what of Morrison's banter sliced and diced into the finished album?
    1. "House Announcer" (Philadelphia 1st May 1970)
    2. "Who Do You Love?" (E. McDaniel) (Felt Forum NYC 17th January 1970 1st show)
    3. "Alabama Song (Whiskey Bar)" (Weill/Brecht) (Felt Forum NYC 17th January 1970 1st show)
    4. "Back Door Man" (W. Dixon/C. Burnett) (Felt Forum NYC 17th January 1970 1st show)
    5. "Love Hides" (Jim Morrison) (Philadelphia 1st May 1970)
    6. "Five to One" (The Doors) (Felt Forum NYC 17th January 1970 2nd show)
    7. "Build Me a Woman" (The Doors) (Felt Forum NYC 17th January 1970 2nd show)
    8. "When the Music's Over" (The Doors) (Felt Forum NYC 17th January 1970 2nd show)
    9. "Close to You" (W. Dixon) (spoken intro Pittsburgh 2nd May 1970 / song Felt Forum NYC 18th January 1970 2nd show)
    10. "Universal Mind" (Morrison/Robby Krieger) (Aquarius Hollywood 21st July 1969 2nd show)
    11. "Petition the Lord with Prayer" (Morrison) (Felt Forum NYC 18th January 1970 2nd show)
    12. "Dead Cats, Dead Rats" (The Doors) (Detroit 8th May 1970)
    13. "Break On Through (To the Other Side)" (The Doors) (Detroit 8th May 1970)
    14. "Celebration of the Lizard" (The Doors) (Aquarius Hollywood 21st July 1969 1st show)
    15. "Soul Kitchen" (The Doors) (Aquarius Hollywood 21st July 1969 2nd show; the stage words by manager from Felt Forum 18th January 1970 1st show)

2. masswriter

from Wikipedia: an interview with Paul Rothchild, "Many shows were recorded during the band's 1970 tour to create the Absolutely Live album. The Doors' producer and longtime collaborator Paul A. Rothchild claimed to have painstakingly edited the album from many different shows to create one cohesive concert. According to Rothchild, the best part of a song from the Detroit show may have been spliced together with another part of the same song from the Boston show, trying to create "the ultimate concert." Rothchild has said, "I couldn't get complete takes of a lot of songs, so sometimes I'd cut from Detroit to Philadelphia in midsong. There must be 2,000 edits on that album."

joshm2286 likes this.
  3. SickAgain

SickAgain Active Member

Who Frankensteins more? Page or Rothchild?

4. masswriter

I think Rothchild.

Dodoz likes this.
  5. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Wikipedia also goes on to say that this isn't true.

Despite this claim, the Bright Midnight record company (Rhino/Elektra/Warner group) started to publish all the uncut masters of all the shows recorded for Absolutely Live (July 1969 – June 1970: Aquarius Theatre 1969, 8 CDs; Live in New York 1970, 6 CDs; Boston 1970, 3 CDs; Philadelphia 1970, 2 CDs, Pittsburgh 1970, 1 CD, Detroit 1970, 2 CDs), ultimately proving Rothchild to be wrong. In fact, most of the tracks were taken from the Doors performance at the Felt Forum on January 17 and 18, 1970. Official audio professional proofs show that less than 5 major cuts were done on Absolutely Live. These recorded audio proofs, from officially available CDs, allow matching of each song on the Absolutely Live album to each recorded concert, showing that Rothchild's claim of multiple edits to songs for cohesiveness is totally untrue. These are the real sources of each song, proving that no major cut or edit was actually done on songs.

6. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

A question I have always had (that no one may know) is how come there was not a recording made of the MSG 1/24/69 performance.

Being such a big gig for the band, in addition to premiering new music and the inclusion of the horns and a bass you would think documenting the show would be a priority.

There are plenty of pictures floating around but only the distant audience recording circulates. I'm sure many of us feel the same that it would be great to have an additional live reference for the Soft Parade cuts! From what is available it sounds like a great gig.

Dodoz, ODShowtime, anth67 and 4 others like this.
  7. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

Here’s a question, where was Dead Cats, Dead Rats played at besides Detroit?

8. anastasios

anastasios Forum Resident

With jim?

9. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Was the Hollywood Bowl the only professionally recorded (i.e. multitrack) show prior to the Aquarius Theater gigs?

10. ZEP77

ZEP77 Houston/Pontiac '77 Video. Where are you?

01/12/1993 - Los Angeles, CA (Eddie Vedder on vocals)

County50, RockRoom and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. masswriter

I asked this in the other thread and will repeat here, are there any Boston 1970 show witnesses that can explain what Jim was doing at the end of her show after the power was cut?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Ern and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Hmmmm...Sounds like "Alive, She Cried" was actually more of a Frankenstein than "Absolutely Live".

Dodoz, joshm2286, SKean and 1 other person like this.
  13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Fillmore East
    Matrix 2 track(band/vocal)
    rumoured Eagles Ballroom 67 Seattle 4 track

14. masswriter

During the performance of "The End" in Detroit '70, Jim seems to be finding his groove before Ray jarringly shouts out "stop the car!" and then proceeds to do it several more times... Jim, to his credit kept being in the moment and recited great poetry. Other than that, what a great performance of that piece . . .

This is just a small rant that sometimes Ray and his vocalizing were terribly intrusive.

jonathan, Oliver, Engelsstaub and 7 others like this.
  15. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

To me,I always thought Ray was and instigator. Ray was trying to get Jim to go into that “stop the car” rant. Same with Break on Through,sometimes Ray would say “Higher” to get Jim to sing that.IOW is a perfect example,Ray is singing “higher” during Break on Through. On the IOW extra documentary Ray is all happy and smiling when talking about Jim’s antics on stage,Ray loved it. Ray Loved all the chaos and craziness at their live shows.

Grand_Ennui, EVOLVIST and Doggiedogma like this.
  16. Bill Pafford

Bill Pafford Hyperactive!

I have some reservations about responding to this as I haven't been feeling well for quite some time now, but I attended this show, most of it anyway. My parents had taken me to a few music events from time to time, but this was my first real concert. Kind of a life changing event, in that I was becoming a rebellious teenager and what I witnessed on this very late nighter was well beyond my Tiger Beat, American Bandstand type expectations.

joshm2286, kees1954 and Flynbryan like this.
  17. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

This quote has been revealed to be largely baloney. There isn't very much splicing on the album...your list above is pretty much correct.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Why did Rothchild exaggerate so much about the edits it's clear to anyone that's heard all BM releases etc.? he made some strange comments from time to time regarding the Doors

joshm2286 and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

Please feel free to elaborate when you are feeling better. We would Love to hear about your experience.

Frederick Mars and Doggiedogma like this.
  20. Bill Pafford

Bill Pafford Hyperactive!

Ok, I was about 14 1/2 and went to Boston with a friend who was 16. Neither my parents or his knew we were going or that we skipped school that day. How we got there was a pretty wild story in itself. We both knew Boston pretty well and headed for several places of interest. I liked places where hippies hung out and where I could look through records. Dave liked stealing beer out of stores and was pretty smooth and slick but managed to get in trouble a lot. We walked miles and miles that Friday, had a great time, started getting tired and hungry so walked into a McDonald's type place. Dave had his allowance, I had my paper route money so we weren't hurting for cash.

I told Dave that I saw a flier earlier saying The Doors were in town. We both loved The Doors and agreed it would be a great place to hang out for the evening, whether we got in or not. We hung around outside for awhile when we saw a couple girls and a college guy go inside for a burger. We go back inside, Dave starts showing the girl who wasn't with the guy his special jacket with sewn in pockets with zippers and the cans of beer he had lifted earlier in the day. She started liking Dave pretty good and we talked the older guy into giving us a ride to the Arena. I will continue this a little later on.

21. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

Thank You for sharing. We really appreciate it.

22. Mitchy

Mitchy Forum Resident

Absolutely Live has numerous edits.

Backdoor Man is taken from 2 or 3 of the Felt Forum shows - i think the first section is from the 4th show (18 January 2nd show).

Five To One is the Frankenstein here - it has heaps of edits, some bits from each of the first three Felt Forum shows, can't remember if there are any bits from the 4th show.

Build Me A Woman has the infamous Sunday Trucker verse edited out.

When The Music's Over has approximately 20seconds of dialogue edited out before the We Want The World section.

Celebration Of The Lizard has approximately 55seconds edited out at the beginning during the lead in to the Lions In The Street section.

Dodoz, kees1954, Buda and 2 others like this.
  23. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Can ya get it up to 2000 edits

David del Toro and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Mitchy

Mitchy Forum Resident

No, just a few handfuls....

25. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

finally picked up IOW

Erik B. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.