The Americans sixth and final season approaches...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sloaches, Dec 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident Thread Starter

Vidiot and mrjinks like this.
  2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

...and Philip is out.

Humbuster likes this.
  3. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

The Beastie Americans.

Scopitone and sloaches like this.
  4. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

WOW. I'm going to miss pouty Paige. I guess this season is going to answer for what many felt was a lackluster season 5. They were just setting us up.

5. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

The only thing that would make this video even better is if it had said "Beloved Character Actress Margo Martindale".

Vidiot likes this.
  6. anti PC.

anti PC. Forum Resident

When does the show start up again ?

7. I just started watching this on Amazon. I'm about done with Season 2. For the most part the show is quite remarkable. While certainly not A+ material (see Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Mad Men), so far I'll give The Americans a solid B. In other words, well worth watching. I'm enjoying it.

My grade is pretty much based on the premise, the cast and the story, while marks are taken away for its CBS, NCB, Fox, night time TV appearance, which is not what I would expect from an FX Original. I mean, it's not all the way mainstream looking, but the presentation is still a bit on the vanilla side, even though they could never show this on most non-cable networks.

So, it's missing that glimmer of other period pieces, like Boardwalk Empire and Stranger Things, yet it doesn't take me out of 1982, either.

Maybe one episode a season is a little bit of a dud, as far as the first two seasons go. It's interesting that it's set up a bit like Mad Men, per season, where each episode is self-contained enough to carry its own weight, but of course there is a thread that attaches the episodes together. It's not the strongest thread, and again, it doesn't take me out of the story. There's a lot to be enjoyed here.

I have to add that I had never seen anything with Matthew Rhys in it before. His acting and screen presence is captivating, though. He's outstanding in every bit. In fact, I can't find a shabby acting job in the whole lot, including the kids, who are usually a weak link in most shows.

So, does it get better, worse, or the status quo in the rest of the seasons? I've already signed on. I'm just looking for other options if there's any to be had.

Thanks!

enro99 likes this.
  8. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

I think it gets better in S3 & S4, I didn't care for S2 much.

9. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

Some interesting analysis on "why you should watch the Americans", or why it gets better in the rest of the seasons.

10. It probably has spoilers beyond Season 2, yeah?

trem two likes this.
  11. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

Oops.
    Thanks.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  12. So, I'm sorry if I'm just clucking away about a show that most of you have seen; still, I wanted to say that Season 2 really ended with a bang. Those last two episodes were brilliant.

People mention Season 2 not being as good as Season 1, and I can see that. So, most people are saying that Seasons 3 & 4 are even better? What of Season 5?

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Which is how she's referred here in Hollywoo.

14. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

:laugh::righton:

15. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Paige won't be a full partner in the family business until they turn her into another w**** for the communist party like they did her mother.

16. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

She's on Sneaky Pete now.

Scopitone likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Humbuster, Scopitone and dmiller458 like this.
  18. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

March 28th.

19. I just finished Season 3. Pretty good. It's still a solid B+ show, but damn good.

I like the way they spoke to Paige about who they really are (even though they were dragged into the conversation), but they really faltered when they didn't just sit her down and say, "Hey, it's not all a lie, and of course there were things we couldn't tell you, in order to protect you. There was no possible way that we could have told you these thing when you were young. The truth is, that your parents are still your parents and that never changes. Neither does our love for you, blah, blah, blah..." But, instead, their interaction with her was merely on a cursory level. The next thing you know, she phones pastor Tim. Wow! I wonder how that's going to shake out!

20. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just got done watching the premiere of this season, and I am pretty excited to see how the rest of it will play out. Got to give Keri Russell an A+ for her performance as an increasingly weary Elizabeth. Also, the soundtrack in this episode was spot-on.

mrjinks, rufus t firefly and JimW like this.
  21. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

That God it's not over.
    For a show that prides itself on it's lack of exposition, we sure got a lot of it with this episode. But that may have been for the better because of the intricate politics involved with the arms summit, which will be the driver for this final season. It's Phil vs. Elizabeth, something I never thought I'd see.
    Some other stray ramblings:
    Song selection was on point, especially the full version of "Don't Dream It's Over", which was specifically written for this show :righton:.
    Holy crap is that whiny Paige?
    When you see Elizabeth rolling up on someone with barely any disguise, the other person is gonna have a bad time.
    I don't think I'll ever get used to the storytelling style of this show-so many short scenes that jump around, sometimes with no discernible connective tissue between them.
    And what was up with that Navy dude trying to pick up Paige? And keeping her i.d.? Was this a winning strategy for him in the past? Because it sure didn't work out too well for him.
    Anyway glad to see The Americans back, dark as ever (literally and figuratively).

22. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Amazing job of setting up the tensions and conflicts that will explode this season. Really makes me feel this series will go out with a bang; best season yet. And yes, amazing music choices.

Yeah- they did a great job of setting all the many, intricate, inter-locking gears in motion. The Phil/Elizabeth dynamic should play out very dramatically. I'm guessing she comes around in the end and the whole family disappears at the end. We'll see. Whatever direction they take us, it'll be a wild ride.

It was eerie how incredibly synchronized the music was to the plot and esp. emotions of the scenes. And the music really was a star of this show; it drove it from start to finish.

This is my 1st RT season; I finished binge-watching the 1st 5 a month ago on Amazon. I really liked it a lot, but this premiere has me even more excited. Much more darkness to come. Will there be light at the end? For whom?

EVOLVIST and Splungeworthy like this.
  23. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

I especially like the time jump from last season. I spent some time trying to nail down exactly how much time we should assume has elapsed. I have to say a minimum of two years? It may be a bit jarring at first, but it makes perfect sense. As to the music choices, I did think Gold Dust Woman was a bit out of place. Nothing against the Mac, just struck me as a bit odd since we are late eighties in this episode.

24. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

Setting an Eighties mood with some Crowded House is fine. Not brilliant but fine. After that it got lazy. Peter Gabriel again, Talking Heads' Listening Wind didn't add up musically or lyrically and Gold Dust Woman? Huh? What? Just a distraction from an excellent episode.

Was I the only one watching Paige talk to a handsome young security guard and wonder, um, what is her assignment exactly? Yes, I'm a bad person but we are dealing with some bad people here. Paige is inquisitive not to mention pushy so I think the veil will fall from her eyes before too long.

25. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Loved seeing him carrying his stereo! Boy, I remember that. Some of you may not.

Cassius, EVOLVIST and Splungeworthy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.