Jessica Jones Season 2 March 8, 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Feb 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I've read that it suffers from the usual problem these shows have - too many episodes, not enough plot.

GodShifter and Vidiot like this.
  2. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

This seems to be (predictably) true over the first 3 hours I have watched. Also proves these shows are only as good or interesting as the bad guy, hence Kilgrave was a big part of the success of the first series.

3. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

It's been a bit slow and unfocused. I'm 10 episodes in too!!

jpelg likes this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah...I was going to begrudgingly watch S2, mainly because of Ritter, but given everything I've read, I won't bother. After a brilliant start with Daredevil S1, this whole franchise has become pretty unimpressive. I'm out.

PhilJol likes this.
  5. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Gotta say, I watched the 1st episode last night and was bored to tears. After reading this thread I won't be watching the rest.

On to Sneaky Pete!;)

6. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Good grief! You guys are tripping.

S1 was every bit as good as DD1.

You might be confusing them with Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and the Defenders, all of which were plot-light.

But, JJ1 had a superb story, villain, and supporting cast who were all worth the time invested in getting to know them.

And, 2 episodes in to JJ2, and it’s equally cool, badass, and not to mention timely. (That’s a small reference there)!

I’m loving it!!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    93curr likes this.
  7. Actually, I disagree with that assessment. It's a solid run very well written, directed and performed. There was a solid subplot that intersected nicely with the main one as well. I always just for myself. The problem is that when folks binge watch a series like this, it seems the plot is a bit more static because the momentum slows a bit mid season as things are set up for the last third of episodes. It's a perception issue for some.

Paper Wizard likes this.
  8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

No, I disagree. The problem is that the show is meant to be binged as it's released all at once and is heavily serialized, and paying close attention to the plot/writing over back-to-back episodes, exposes inherent weaknesses in the series as a whole (and the franchise).

There are plenty of serialized shows that I binge watch that don't have these sort of shortcomings, at least not to these levels (imo, of course).

9. I don’t think these are meant to be bingedbut that option is given for those who want to do it. Some folks like to parcel them out, others not so much. That would imply from the first episode the writers knew that would happen and adjust accordingly. I don’t think they adjusted how they wanted to tell the story based on that option.

Having binged many shows myself, it’s hard to compare narratives for different shows fairly. I watched all of season two and felt it didn’t lag.

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

So regarding JJ is S1 better than S2?

11. I think so.

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Why?

13. It’s much more of a personal journey and glimpse into how Jessica became Jessica. Great performances all around and a surprise appearance late in the game gives the show an additional bump.

alexpop likes this.
  14. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I watched first 2 episodes.

Little slow.

Vidiot likes this.
  15. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Both of these.

Still, Ritter is extremely compelling (or maybe she's just wounded & I want to help her *shrug*) and worth watching regardless. At least I don't have to fast-forward thru commercials.

Vidiot and Ethan B like this.
  16. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

Both my daughter and I agreed on Season 2 being a 6/10. I think one problem was there was no main villain.

17. But there was.

18. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

2nd half was better than the first.

When Kilgrave pops up in Jessica's head toward the end
    ..things immediately improve as well.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yep, big problem in the Marvel shows. The sad thing is, they have 7-8 solid shows with good stuff in them... spread out over 12 hours. :sigh:

Yeah, I agree with that as well. I also think these shows are falling into a very predictable formula and structure, to the point where I can get a certain number of minutes into an episode and say, "we need something exciting happening about right NOW," and within 30 seconds, there's either an explosion, gunshots, or a big fight scene.

I also felt this second-season storyline was getting a little bit too preachy for me. I get it that sexual harassment is a huge problem in Hollywood (and politics and other businesses as well), but it feels a little bit heavy-handed here.

GodShifter, jpelg and Deesky like this.
  20. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

This would have been developed before the whole #metoo movement, wouldn't it?

Killgrave's abuse of JJ occurred in a graphic novel back in the '80's. So, it's kinda built into the storyline.

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I’m three episodes from finishing this and, believe me, it’s been challenging in places.

I’d definitely rank Jessica Jones as my favorite of all the Netflix Marvel stuff (Daredevil right behind it), but it’s not without it’s problems. I think my biggest gripe is the length of the season. 13 episodes? Why? It could have wrapped up more economically in 10. Also, as noted, the “villain” in this season is very weak (not that Kilgrave was that awesome either) and the storyline has suffered.

I think Krysten Ritter does a fantastic job of acting in this series and it’s probably the main reason I prefer it over others. I really like Rachael Taylor, too. Am I wrong or is every episode directed by a woman. That’s kind of an interesting oddity (if I’m correct).

YardByrd and Deesky like this.
  22. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

3 episodes in and I really enjoy Ritter's work. Although it does have a tendency to be a bit slow.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The Harvey Weinstein news stories started in October, but the show started filming in July. I think it's fair to say this thing has been bubbling under the surface for a long time, and people were aware of it. Note that I believe every episode of the show is directed by a woman this season.

davenav and mikeyt like this.
  24. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I finished S2 last night and I think overall I enjoyed it better than the first season - it was great seeing the characters in more depth, plus I’m a sucker for back stories

davenav likes this.
  25. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

We go through hashtags and headlines so fast nowadays it's hard to keep track of when social movements ebb and flow. The #NotOkay hashtag went viral October 2016, and I believe that year was quite heavy for discussions of sexual harrassment and sexism in our culture.

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.