Lesser known Australian Musical Artists*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Mar 11, 2018.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

As an Aussie living in the U.S. I am often surprised how few people know some of my favourite bands from oz.
    I'm guessing everyone knows

acdc
    bee gees
    inxs
    little river band
    air supply
    nick cave and the bad seeds
    crowded house (though neil is a kiwi)
    silverchair
    men at work (down under ... shakes head in dread of being asked about vegemite :) )

but there are obviously a lot more
    just a few examples

cold chisel
    the angels
    powderfinger
    paul kelly
    the saints
    rose tattoo
    midnight oil
    daddy cool
    icehouse
    easybeats
    australian crawl
    divinyls
    hoodoo gurus
    models
    masters apprentices
    regurgitator
    john farnham
    split enz (kiwis but we love them like brothers)
    dragon
    skyhooks
    the church
    hunters and collectors
    jimmy barnes
    died pretty
    go betweens
    triffids
    john butler trio (although john was born in the u.s.)

for any americans or europeans .. or whoever may be on here .... i'm just interested in who and what you know about aussie music.
    any aussies on here, stick in some bands i may have forgotten about.
    cheers

2. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Many of those were not born in Oz, give us a list of true Oz born artists. The Bee Gees are from the Isle of Man and AC/DC are Scotts (the Youngs) for starters, MWP from the church only went to Oz in his early twenties..

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    CaptainFeedback1, hi_watt and yarbles like this.
  3. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

I was a big fan of INXS starting when Shabooh Shoobah came out thanks in part to MTV, A lot of bands on your list I certainly recognize and admire, some I was not aware of. I remember a band called the Bushwhackers, and I only knew of them because of Pete Farndon's early involvement before the Pretenders formed. Were they a popular band the Bushwhackers ?

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Gary Shearston

Ted Mooney and goodiesguy like this.
  5. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Angus & Julia Stone

6. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

A couple of singles by Australian bands that were released in the UK, and that I bought, are Most People I Know Think That I'm Crazy by The Aztecs, and Eureka Stockade's Sing No Love Songs (The Groove under another name). My fave Aussie track is That's When Happiness Began by Mike Furber & The Bowery Boys, even though Furber was English-born.

7. mark winstanley

the bee gees were born in the isle of man and moved to australia. they started their music career in australia and after several albums moved to england.
    acdc are an australian band. bon scott is burried in fremantle western australia the band formed in australia and spent all their time as australians until hitting it big in the u.s. and moving over there.
    to say the church aren't australian because one guy wasn't born there is a little pathetic. they are recognised all over the world as an australian band.
    once your an aussie, your an aussie. i was born in england too mate and i'm as aussie as david gulpilil
    try harder

8. mark winstanley

i know of the bushwackers, but not the extent of their popularity. i am pretty sure they had a good following and a pretty successful career
    shabooh shoobah and the swing are my favourite inxs albums. good band, sad end

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Grahamstuartcanada likes this.
  9. mark winstanley

billy thorpe and the aztecs were pretty big, most people i know think that i'm crazy is probably my theme song lol

TonyACT, Weirwolfe, Ash76 and 2 others like this.
  10. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

I am a huge fan of Australian 60s garage bands.
    The Easybeats , of course , but also The Missing Links , Masters Apprentices,Ray Brown & The Whispers, The Loved Ones,Ray Columbus & The Invaders, The Groop,Purple Hearts, The Throb ect. ect.ect.
    Later on in 70s punk , I love The Saints.
    And of course , the magnificent Atlantics who were one of the top instrumental surf garage bands in the world before they morphed into a killer 60s punk outfit.

11. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Love Icehouse and saw them at Milton Keynes on Bowie’s Serious Moonlight tour.
    Brilliant band.

bmoc79, Groggy, JL6161 and 5 others like this.
  12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I really liked Australian Crawl back in the day. Surprised they didn't make more of a splash (boom boom!) in Britain.

Also Johnny Diesel had a great swagger about him that I thought would have translated into international sales.

Others I enjoy:

Sherbet (my first ever single was Howzat).

Noiseworks (Jon Stevens' recent solo album was excellent).

Jimmy Barnes (really love his eighties solo work).

The current Aussie prog scene seems vibrant. Voyager, Karnivool and Caligula's Horse are all worth a listen.

souldeep69, TonyACT, siveld and 4 others like this.
  13. mark winstanley

i was just reading about some of those new prog bands, i may have to check them out
    ahhh sherbert, forgot about them lol they were huge. braithwaite had a pretty big solo career too
    diesel was good value. his first band the injectors did pretty well too.
    oz crawl were pretty big and back in the day i loved them, i reckon sirocco is a classic pop/rock album

carlwm likes this.
  14. mark winstanley

before any nit pickers say anything, yes dragon were kiwis too

the acdc thing ... the youngs were born in scotland and angus and malcolm were 8 and 10 when they arrived in oz. i don't think that's when they released their first album ... i'm pretty sure they went to school for a few days beforehand ... george, their big brother was in the easybeats and i am pretty sure he would agree that the easybeats were an aussie band. george also went on to form vanda and young with harry vanda and they had a fair bit of success with hey st peter and down among the dead men .. with a pre hip hop rap/pop style

Use_Your_Koala and cwitt1980 like this.
  15. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Radio Birdman

16. mark winstanley

didn't they end up hooking up with some guys from mc5 and form new race?

17. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

How in tarnation could they have slipped my mind????
    One of the best !

18. Toomanydogs

Toomanydogs Forum Resident

I’ll always love Hoodoo Gurus.
    How about the Dingoes?

19. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Re the church, Steve Kilbey is also English born.. My question to you was can you make a list of successful Aussie born artists, no ten pound poms allowed..

Goat and wrappedinsky like this.
  20. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Daddy Cool, saw them as an opening act in the early 70s when their 1st WB album came out

mikmcmee, Zappateer, TonyACT and 5 others like this.
  21. mark winstanley

so what. they're an aussie band. formed in australia signed to an australian label. get a life

22. Paul Middleton

Paul Middleton Forum Resident

Superb and essential addition!

23. Paul Middleton

Paul Middleton Forum Resident

Great list, Mark!

wrappedinsky and OptimisticGoat like this.
  24. mark winstanley

yea they did well and broderick smith ('s big combo) had a pretty good solo career afterwards. had two hits i can think of faded roses and my father's hands

Toomanydogs and Kingsley Fats like this.
  25. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident