Tom Waits Reissuing Anti Records Albums (2017), incl. Orphans (2018) Plus Elektra Back Catalogue *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

£14.49 - Closing Time

2. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Big sound. Not sure if I like it better than my trusty old CD. It’s clean, very clean but not bright. Kind of reminds me the sound of the remastered 2010 Japanese Mini LP, but better.

3. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

Thanks but I had seen that at 7d. Was hoping the bandcamp would be 24 bit at usd9.99. That's a decent price for me, not £15.

4. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

If you are looking for a $9.99 new 24/192 release, then you don’t want a decent price but a steal! ;)

5. seeofa

seeofa Well-Known Member

Yea, I don't like it. Whilst it's cleaner, it sounds more muffled or something. For me the original CD remains the superior version, and I suspect that will be the same for the other albums.

6. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

But it's not a new release - it's a reissue. No recording costs to recoup. Neil Young was charging $10 for his catalogue in 24/192 until recently.

$15 (£11/£12) would be reasonable. 7digital and their clones have the albums at £14.49, Qobuz £15.99, and the clowns at HD Tracks UK want £20.50. Too expensive.

7. Vinylanswer.net

Vinylanswer.net Forum Resident

These aren't reissues, they're remasters. Original tapes were transferred to hi-res 192k/24 bit files and remastered.
    Plenty of cost involved in that.

mick_sh likes this.
  8. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

Not nearly as much as a new recording I would think.

Anyway, I played a few snippets of the new Closing Time and they are way less hissy than the original CD where the hiss was pretty intrusive. The hiss is almost inaudible now and I suspect they must have used some de-noising technology to achieve it. Some Hoffmanites may be less than impressed but so far I like the new version better.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  9. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

I have bought quite a few 24 bit versions of albums on Bandcamp for that kind of price - it's more or less the going rate on that site. The problem is that there's no way of knowing if the files are 24 bit or 16 bit until you have already paid. You can hit a "contact" link and ask the artist/ record company beforehand - sometimes you get a reply, but from the Tom Waits page I didn't.

10. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I just went for the 1st issue CD of this secondhand in NM condition for £7. Is there much difference in the first issue to ones that came out later. Looks like the sticker on front changed not sure about packaging.

11. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I'm enjoying hi-res The Heart of Saturday Night more than Closing Time. It's clean but not dull. Shiver Me Timbers never sounded better.

12. MoonPanda

MoonPanda Forum Resident

My copy of Closing Time has horrendous tearing noises (non-fill?) over the whole last two tracks of side one, and plenty of other clicks besides. I can't remember when I last got such a poor quality pressing.

13. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Bummer. I've seen in Discogs that US and EU editions have different deadwax inscriptions. Your US copy came in a resealable bag, right? Could you please tell us if the sleeve is "tip-on" style?

14. MoonPanda

MoonPanda Forum Resident

It did come in a resealable bag. Sleeve is regular cardboard, not a tip-on style. Is the EU version tip-on?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  15. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I don’t have it yet, but based on online pictures it’s not a tip-on sleeve either. Such a pity.

16. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Someone let me know when Blue Valentine is reissued on vinyl please

17. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

Closing Time sounds good but the pressing is noisy af.

18. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

According to Discogs, pressed at Independent Record Pressing.

Blender likes this.
  19. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Saw the old Elektra ones today, which I never feel really needed remastering. Of course, they're in digipaks (yuck!).

20. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Old Elektra CDs in digipaks? I didn't know those existed.

21. BigDaddyWil

BigDaddyWil Forum Resident

My vinyl copy of Closing Time is terrible. Tons of surface noise, pops and clicks, U.S. version. This will be the second copy going back to Amazon. Both copies had tears in the top of the record jacket.

22. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

I spoke lazily...I meant the Elektra remasters.

mick_sh likes this.
  23. Crowes72

Crowes72 Forum Resident

I got the new Alice this weekend. Overall, the vinyl sounded really good (quiet, lush), however the first LP is severely warped so it's being exchanged. Don't think I've ever had a new record show up that was warped that badly. Didn't effect playback but still.

Table Top Joe was the only track where I noticed a significant difference in the mix, with the addition of the trumpet towards the end. I quite like it.

24. Arjan

Arjan Senior Member

I bought the US pressing. Noisy, pops and clicks. In my view they should stop selling this pressing. What a shame!

25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

They re-mixed this album? Or some tracks, at least? I was under the impression it was only "Real Gone" that was remixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.