New warnings on China-made electronic devices

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ghost rider, Mar 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident Thread Starter

Maybe a year or 2 ago I started seeing warnings like these

WARNING:
    This product can expose you to chemicals including one or more listed chemicals which are known to the State of California to cause cancer or birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov

This was on a USB spliter that like most things are made in China. So what is the real deal here? Are they now using new chemicals or have they found out that the old one are more dangerous?

I don't think its just because California is just way to cautious. Once someone said things like Lead and Asbestos were bad for you and look how long it took for that to get regulated.

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Every building in California has a sign somewhere on it reminding you its made out of cancer. Nothing to see here, really.

3. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

It' nothing. It's CA laws affecting labeling. Coffee in CA is now cancerous.

4. ghost rider

Maybe, but by nature I don't trust corporations to do the right thing. It's not like it stopped me from buying it. Just what exactly is it that you could be exposed too and how do you get exposed? So as long as you don't open it up and solder on it or something you're all good.

russk likes this.
  5. Helom

Helom Forum member

Next time you're at your local hardware store, check how many chemicals, adhesives and the like have that same warning.

6. ijustdontknow

ijustdontknow Forum Resident

When you live in CA, those warnings become invisible to you. Air, water, living, and every dang thing I own contains chemicals known to cause cancer in the state of Dysfunctiona.

Paully, SandAndGlass, matteos and 7 others like this.
  7. ghost rider

Yes I know I try to protect myself.

Hmmm maybe that's why 2/3 of us get cancer.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

something more to ignore...lol

TarnishedEars, Agitater and F1nut like this.
  9. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Good to know California is out front on this kind of thing. The rest of the country needs to catch up.

dbsea, oboogie, krlpuretone and 4 others like this.
  10. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

No. Only a little over one-third of Americans and Canadians develop a cancer of any kind, most of which don't affect lifespan or general mortality. Read:

Lifetime Risk of Developing or Dying From Cancer

11. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

The reality of it is, the product only causes harm when used by people inside California's borders.

The rest of the world understands not to eat or cook with a usb cord.

12. Michael

I'm still fearing the felony charge for the plastic straws...

13. Michael

I'm sure they are so embarrassed by those looney laws!

14. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

What about putting the USB in your mouth and using it as a kind of sucking candy? That's still OK, right?

15. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Yeah. We're blazing trails in ignoring ubiquitous warnings here. In a few years, people in other states will be mentally tuning out warnings too.

16. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

Dunno. I generally don't put random cords in my mouth. I probably would not try to smoke it either.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

yes but buy the blue cables the Blueberry flavor is to DIE for :wave:

I can't count how many products i have with this label from hair dryers & i've even seen it on some shampoos :O

18. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there are more than a few of us in CA who do not regard these disclosure laws as “looney” or “fake”.

19. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

If you take the time to go to the warnings site, you will find that because the interior of the USB splitter contains a chip or a tiny circuit board with minuscule amounts of the same chemicals, rare earth elements and other things found in most other chips and circuit boards, the state of California requires a product notice that stipulates to the presence of such materials in the device. It's a panicky, unbalanced, idiotic warning that serves only to alarm some people. As long as you don't boil the USB splitter in a dissolving, acidic solution to leach out the toxic chemicals or elements and then soak the result in your morning Nespresso, you'll be fine.

Almost forgot, don't let small children chew or teethe on USB splitters either, you know, because it's a monumentally stupid thing to let children play with. The state of California, the province of British Columbia, and plenty of other jurisdictions, have developed and pursued the idea that we all need to be protected from ourselves. Then again, when parents show up at hospital emergency rooms with kids experiencing toxicity symptoms as a result of being allowed to play with and chew on all manner of cords, cables, tiny electronics and other things found under the kitchen sink that non-drunk, non-stoned, engaged, even vaguely educated parents would never allow their kids to chew on, maybe a certain percentage of the population really does need to be protected from itself.

There is no evidence of any kind, so far, indicating that any of these warnings has ever saved a life or prevented any of the aforementioned catastrophes from taking place. I mean, the warning labels must alert some people, but it's impossible to tell. Unfortunately, the procession of unfortunate kids and Darwin Award-worthy adults showing up in our hospital emergency rooms continues unabated. Still, the warnings help to indemnify companies, to an extent, from at least some of the avaricious and predatory activities of litigation-happy personal injury lawyers.

All IMO only . . . of course.

Paully, SirMarc, Mike-48 and 11 others like this.
  20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Warnings are for the week and scared.

SirMarc and quicksrt like this.
  21. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I just wanna get my kicks before the hole thing burns down:

SirMarc, quicksrt and JNTEX like this.
  22. Michael

FELONY FOR PLASTIC STRAWS? SERIOUSLY?

ijustdontknow likes this.
  23. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

If it’s that BHP plastic stuff ( or whatever it’s called) i read that when a cashier hands you a receipt it transfers a huge amount to the skin which can be detected in the lab immediately. Also.. well I could go on forever:)

24. EdogawaRampo

I'm out of milk so I went out to the shed and found some old left-over beige paint, brought it inside and I'm thinking it might go good in some fresh black coffee. Should be OK.

Gavinyl, SirMarc, Johnny Reb and 3 others like this.
  25. EdogawaRampo

Ha! You're right. I wouldn't trying smoking it either. Not until I got it on the grinder a bit and got some useable powder out of it.

SandAndGlass and JNTEX like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.