Lesser known Australian Musical Artists*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Mar 11, 2018.

1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Radio sucks here in the US too. But I've followed the charts almost religiously since I first heard the words American Top 40. I was somewhat surprised when I saw how the same British and American acts dominate there too, even though I probably shouldn't have been.

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

And don't forget Normie Rowe and the Playboys, not really garage but with some tough sounding music...

goodiesguy and mark winstanley like this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

for every band that you cringe at there is a band you love that somebody else cringes at. it's called subjective opinion. i don't know that the nation as a whole particularly cringes about any specific band

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  4. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Most of these bands are too old to cringe at: they are in academic interest and when you look at the that way there is no possible cringe.

5. mark winstanley

it is surprising me how many bands i had forgotten about. saw matt taylor and chain at the sandringham way back when (there was a little bikie trouble though lol) spectrum, particularly that song are great

Ash76 likes this.
  6. mark winstanley

ill at ease is a classic album

mkhannah likes this.
  7. mark winstanley

kevin johnson is brilliant. i managed to pick up a concert dvd recently and was very pleased

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  8. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I'm really into Augie March at the moment.

JL6161 and mark winstanley like this.
  9. mark winstanley

billy and the aztecs are a bit of an aussie legend

dmiller458 likes this.
  10. mark winstanley

i like some of them and i don't like some of them, again it's just subjective opinion

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  11. mark winstanley

that debut was a classic.

12. mark winstanley

great band. perhaps too quirky and politically incorrect for the overseas market ... idk

marcob1963 and Rick Bartlett like this.
  13. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

LovetheHoodooGurus Singer!

Only real Straylians get that reference.

14. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

Thirteen pages in and no mention of one of my faves...

15. mark winstanley

chisel not breaking through overseas always blew my mind. they are in my favourite bands ever, no matter what country.
    i didn't know that about deniz, is that what made the link with mc5 for the new order material?

dmiller458 and Rick Bartlett like this.
  16. Glennza

This is a great song too!

17. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

I recently found a rarity in a thrift shop, Icehouse's post Man of Colours album "Code Blue" on chrome cassette! Haven't found too many pop albums on chrome. It's good too, Yo ho ho ho Big Fun is a good song.

18. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I was going to say Stevie earlier, but trying to keep to the thread title, and even then
    I have mentioned others that are famous too.
    Stevie Wright's Evie 45 is one of the best Aussie records of all time!

19. mark winstanley

whatever you reckon mate

20. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Up until early-mid 70's Australia suffered from a "cultural cringe". Our local artists (arts,music.literature,movies etc) were seen as inferior, 2nd rate in comparison to British, European & American.

Australian radio broadcasting laws required a certain percentage of content to be local. This was more often than not achieved by air freighting the latest UK & US hits to Australia & having them re-recorded by a local artists/bands thus beating the real thing which was shipped by boats which took up to 3 months to arrive.

Local bands & artists did not believe in the "cultural cringe" & started to play their own self written music despite the barriers put up by the labels & the radio stations. This self belief was supported by the audiences although it took a fair while for the change to be noticed by the labels & the radio stations.

You have no idea of how badly Australian radio sucks. Our only widely available choice is basically AM Top 40 format ported to FM. Free form or album focused FM just did not happen here.
    We have of course moved on to syndicated radio with its perennial recycled "big hits".

I can see your love for top 40 shining through, however, my music listening has never had nor never will have a relationship to the top 40.
    The top 40 reflects very little in the culture of Australian music.

21. mark winstanley

great song

Kingsley Fats and Rick Bartlett like this.
  22. Rick Bartlett

Yes! All true and well said.

23. Glennza

Fair point. Guess I interpreted it as lesser known outside of Australia

24. Rick Bartlett

ha! yeah I don't know, I was gonna post The Seekers, Frank Ifield, John Farnham but figured they had hits overseas......
    who cares eh?

25. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Believe me nobody in Australia would ever put Normie Rowe & garage in the same sentence.
    Think of his image along the lines of David Cassidy.

James5001 and mark winstanley like this.