Lesser known Australian Musical Artists*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Mar 11, 2018.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

i'm pretty sure they ended up in there somewhere. i wasn't really expecting so many posts lol .... i certainly wasn't expecting controversy over a music post hahaha, good lord, lucky i didn't start on politics or religion :hide::D

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  2. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Yes. Radio Birdman were heavily influenced by The Stooges & The MC5

New Race was a punk/proto-punk super-group based in Sydney, Australia formed in April 1981. New Race was a concept band featuring three members of Radio Birdman: Deniz Tek, Rob Younger, and Warwick Gilbert, along with their inspirational mentors: Ron Asheton of The Stooges, and Dennis "Machine Gun" Thompsonof the MC5.

3. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

Okay, here's a more obscure Aussie band (and one of my faves). Baterz was a true original who sadly died young. I was lucky to see him play live in Adelaide.

DrZhivago and mark winstanley like this.
  4. mark winstanley

i certainly meant no offence. i figured any rational person would understand my comment. i sure hope australia hasn't become the home of pc pansies since i left

goodiesguy and Rick Bartlett like this.
  5. mark winstanley

when my band was playing the pubs down there, all the pubs were closing and turning into something else. live music was dying. irregardless of my band, that was heartbreaking as those pubs created some of the best live bands in the world

6. Kingsley Fats

I think it has. Except Kevin Bloody Wilson of course.

7. Kingsley Fats

What/who was your band ?

The thing that really pisses me off is when there is a venue that has been there for years. They build houses & units right next to the venue. The people who buy the properties then whinge about the venue. Venue gets closed down.

E.Baba, MrGrumpy and Rick Bartlett like this.
  8. Kingsley Fats

I thought music was politics & religion. Well it is for me.

9. iDigital

iDigital Forum Resident

Johnny O'Keefe, Warumpi Band, Severed Heads, The Shower Scene From Psycho, TISM, The Stems, The Sunnyboys, Grinspoon, Allnighters, Nick Barker and The Reptiles, The Bhagavad Guitars, Blue Ruin, The Bo-Weevils, I Spit on Your Gravy, The coachroaches ( later popularly known as The Wiggles ), Corpse Grinders, The crystal Set, Falling Joys, Exploding White Mice, Happy Hate Me nots, Hard-Ons, Harem Scarem, The Johnnys, J.F.K and the Cuban crisis, MEO 245,

mark winstanley likes this.
  10. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Abso-bloody-lutely!!! it's a sad place for live music as a whole now, being an old picker and band player myself,
    it breaks my heart. You once had a bunch of corner pubs and each had great bands playing, and some
    of the best musicians, that were no name performers, but were wonderful players.
    It's all changed in the last 20 years particularly, and venues have disappeared and bands are no
    longer wanted. The cost of beer, drink-driving rules, nobody really wanting to go out to
    see bands and publicans that no longer want to pay. Everybody is too busy on there home entertainment
    phones and portable videos, that it makes some of us a dying breed.
    I miss the old days...
    :cry:

11. Rick Bartlett

I'm afraid to say....... PC pansies this place is quickly becoming....

12. Kingsley Fats

Have you heard John Kennedy's latest album. It's damn good.

keyse1 likes this.
  13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

This is about as punk as any Aussie got in the 60s

14. mark winstanley

i doubt anyone had ever heard of us. maelstrom. we played in perth. we did the cover scene thing and i didn't want to. around '95 we self financed some studio time and cut a cd (i guess it would have been described as hard rock/metalish) we had spent 6 months playing the tunes in pubs to see what worked best and got responses etc. we recorded it in one day and mixed it the next. some dude at the local music rag reviewed it and said it was overproduced hahaha ... that's just what we sounded like, it was pretty full on for a three piece. he made some comment about being obvious we didn't believe in our songs (i wrote them, i'm pretty sure i knew what i believed in) i went down to the magazine to ask some questions about the review. they said get a gig and we'll review it. somehow, although we had had no trouble getting gigs for five years, nobody would give us a gig ... politics haha later on i put my own studio together and just recorded for my own pleasure

15. Kingsley Fats

That was as wild as the labels & radio stations would let them be.

Johnny O'Keefe was a bit wilder but in a more rock & roll (Jerry Lee Lewis) way.

This stuff is a little before my time as I didn't get into it until @ 1968/69

16. Rick Bartlett

without sounding like a turkey, don't come back for the live music will ya? ha.
    unless your a one man acoustic soloist or a DJ playing to drunk little tarts in short dresses.
    :rolleyes:

Gavinyl and mark winstanley like this.
  17. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

They have similar national content laws in Canada and we would listen to Canadian stations when we could pick them up.

I don't see how it could be any worse than US radio. There used to be a lot of good music on the charts. Now it's all the same watered-down hip-hop, dance pop, and blue-eyed soul.

18. mark winstanley

sad

goodiesguy and Rick Bartlett like this.
  19. D.B.

D.B. Forum Resident

That's the way! Some people just can't help themselves... "List true Aussie-born artists" - as if AC/DC or The Church weren't Australian bands - get outta here!

20. mark winstanley

i am trying to scratch up the money to come and visit family and friends, but that may never happen sadly. i sometimes pull the acoustic out and play some tunes for friends and stuff. the industry stuff takes away the love for me, so i avoid it

21. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Classic aussie hit featuring Normie Rowe

22. Kingsley Fats

I used to own & run Playback Records. I remember the band name maelstrom & I vaguely remember that it was regarded as a metal band.
    By 1995 I had sold the shop & had 3 young kids so I no longer went out to see bands so I never saw them & metal wasn't my thing.

23. Rick Bartlett

yeap! bruddah, I know a bit about the industry/politics stuff myself. It's a great way to destroy your heart and passion.
    It's probably still the luckiest country in the world per say, but slowly, everything that stood for
    being Australian, is being stripped away almost on a daily basis.
    We just seem to love to 'sell out' now. Our beliefs, morals, language, way of life, Christmas values etc etc

goodiesguy and mark winstanley like this.
  24. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Apologies if these were already mentioned.

Tame Impala
    Jebediah
    Sleepy Jacksons
    Architecture In Helsinki
    Avalanches
    Dope Lemon

acemachine26 and mark winstanley like this.
  25. mark winstanley

i am one of those folks that pretty much likes everything. we just gravitated towards that style. back in the cover days we were playing purple,zeppelin, floyd ... with bits and pieces of other stuff. we did a version of baker street before foo fighters, with a similar hard rock approach, boys light up (with the harp lol) all sorts of stuff ... we just seemed to gravitate towards that style (it wasn't the gargling mud vocals lol)