What is THE album you're willing to spend a fortune to get sealed?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Strat-Mangler, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

And how much would you be willing to spend to get it?

Don't think it'll take long before we get into 1st UK Beatles pressing territory. :D

2. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Probably none. Depending on what we consider a fortune. :)

I do like collecting opened, clean original condition copies of my favorite artists (Kiss, Zeppelin, Capitol Beatles). But with the exception of having some sealed reissues, I tend to prefer quality open copies to sealed ones, since I almost always play the vinyl.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

None.

Plenty of sealed records are disappointments. I’d rather see what I’m spending money on.

Ash76, Jrr, johnnybrum and 4 others like this.
  4. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

None.

DPK, rockclassics and Neonbeam like this.
  5. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Am I allowed to open it? ;)

Neonbeam likes this.
  6. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

A fortune, I don't know. But I would pay big bucks for a sealed double RL Led Zeppelin II.

7. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

None. The temptation to be the first one to put a needle to a historic record would be too great.

Neonbeam likes this.
  8. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

I've never bought an old sealed record and I never will.

rod likes this.
  9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

The thought of keeping a record sealed never even crosses my mind. Of course you would spin it... at least I would. :agree:

10. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Most old sealed records I bought have been a disappointment. Many I sold on.
    Buckled inners from the air compression were the main problem.
    The one exception is an original Tom Waits Night On Earth (Film Soundtrack) that I paid €100.00 for.
    But I agree with @lucan_g that I prefer to see what I am buying.

11. Strat-Mangler

Absolutely! Sealed only means that's the state the record would be in when first obtained.

You can keep them sealed or play them. I buy lots of sealed older records and play all of them.

showtaper, Jrr and mcd4959 like this.
  12. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

Ditto. I buy a record to listen, first and foremost. Second in line is having an original historic representation of that era. A partially peeled VU banana with Emerson's torso with warts and all works just as well for me as a pristine sealed copy. It makes me feel less bad about handling it and giving it plenty of spins. It also makes me wonder about it's history and whose owned it and how far its traveled to end up in my hands.

lucan_g and CBS 65780 like this.
  13. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Beautiful! Perfectly put. It's like Anton Chigurh says in No Country For Old Men; "I got here the same way the coin did."
    But what serendipitous events end up with me looking in a box of records on the street and finding something I want that someone else once loved?
    That's the whole joy of records!

14. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Albums in the UK were never sealed in the 60's

Henryflowr, Man at C&A, Ash76 and 6 others like this.
  15. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

This is like asking me what pistol I would buy and never shoot. I understand the appeal, but it ain't me. I'm gonna shoot my pistols and spin my records.

savemenow likes this.
  16. joefont

joefont Senior Member

None....I'm a cheap collector.

Morton LaBongo and riverrat like this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

It's not. As mentioned earlier in the thread, opening the album is perfectly fine.

It's just that a lot of so-called NM condition albums aren't truly NM. Sealed albums can be in better condition.

18. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

If I could get a solid gold guarantee Lee Mavers would record release album number two, I'd get a bank loan to sort the studio time and vinyl pressing, or even just Kickstarter the damn idea. Toerag Studios and Steve Albini might leave me homeless (Albini seems cool with doing stuff cheap though!) but it would be worth it :)

Of course would be a bit selfish to do for a sealed copy all for meeeeee

granata and tages like this.
  19. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

At the very least, you're usually going to get bag marks, or maybe even warps if the shrink is too tight. Plus you don't know if it's a first pressing or later. And then there are the resealers...

Once or twice I have bought one of those early 60s sealed records with a plastic, perforated inner and no sleeve over the jacket. Those you know are original and you can see the condition.

20. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

Apologies. Didn't read everything before posting.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  21. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The only record I've ever kept sealed was Roy Orbison's Fastest Guitar In The West. I have the CD so I know it to not be the greatest album, anyway, but it is a hell of a cool cover.

22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I love sealed albums from the last five years but I wouldn't spend much money on sealed vintage vinyl. Got burned as young collector when I bought "Have twangy guitar will travel" by Duane Eddy as sealed US original. An album from 1958. Sealed. :biglaugh:

The second half of the second side sounds like a campfire. Fortunately the seller gave me a full refund so every time I'm feeling tempted I listen to some Duane Eddy first:evil:

23. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

Coincidentally, I recently picked up an early sealed copy of LZII. I hope it's an RL pressing but how would I know unless I opened it?

24. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

I've purchased one too many older sealed albums only to discover that after years of the plastic wrap shrinking with age that the lp inside was warped to hell and back after being bent into that position for so long. So for me, I avoid any and all sealed records that are older than 10 years.

25. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Not sure about a ‘fortune ‘, but I’d love mono copies of the first 2 Floyd albums. The stereo counterparts go for the price of a small house as it is.

andrewskyDE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.