What is THE album you're willing to spend a fortune to get sealed?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Strat-Mangler, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. How would you know if it were an RL if sealed? That’s the dilemma

Stone Turntable likes this.
  2. mcd4959

mcd4959 Head in the Clouds

For me it's a bit more esoteric - I like being the first person to open the LP - no one else has touched it outside of the original packers. It's like new car smell to me. I always open them when I get them - an then clean them, play them, MOFI inner sleeves, resealable Japanese outer sleeves...you know, one of us...

I often search for sealed copies of old favorites but I do agree that the contents can often be very disappointing - it really depends on how well they've been stored for the covers, and the records themselves are a crapshoot. I paid fairly big bucks for a sealed copy of Linda Ronstadt's "Simple Dreams" Super Disk - and when I opened it, the inner sleeve had deteriorated so badly it literally fell apart in places and was stuck to the vinyl, rendering it useless. Oh well...

But to the OP's question - a pristine sealed copy of Sgt. Pepper would be nice...

3. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Why on EARTH would you bother sealing great music?

4. 1st 4 Vertigo Sabbaths

HotHere likes this.
  5. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

Schrödinger's RL

Mugrug12 and mcd4959 like this.
  6. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

:-popcorn::pineapple::-popcorn::tsk:".....................keep moving folks....nothing to see here

Henryflowr, Ash76 and Jrr like this.
  7. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Me too. I will also spin my pistols and shoot my records.

8. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Dude! You gotta open it and tell us! Why not know?

9. If I could have a guarantee that a sealed LP would play perfectly and sound as I wished/expected, then I would pick the Classic Records LP of Dido - Life For Rent. I have her No Angel album and it may be the best sounding album in my entire collection. I know some audiophiles who have both of these and confirm my view of the quality.

10. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

However, if it was with the intention of not bothering myself with the music and losing the valuable time, it'd have to be Queen's "Flash Gordon" or "Live Magic".

11. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

Sealed albums are just interesting if you find them cheap.
    Otherwise you'd pay a fortune for a record that may be warped to hell.

Jrr and Cronverc like this.
  12. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I bought a collection of sealed albums that came from a old promo guy who's been around since the late 50's, 60% of what I bought is still sealed.
    What is awesome is all of the easy listening, pop/schlock vocals, and sweet band jazz was trashed, but all the rock, decent jazz, and R&B was untouched. That's what I bought.
    I'm talking about a open LP when you pull out the inner-sleeve and it's white under the folds, the rice paper sleeves are almost gold.
    Two of those sealed LP's are copies of "The Teddy Bears Sing" on Imperial and "The Story Of The Blues" by Della Reese on Jubilee that came sealed in loose poly bags.
    The LP's that are tight shrink wrapped are not warped whatsoever, if you lay them flat the albums will warm. These were stored vertical and are perfect.
    I opened a few of them for defects only to find pristine white label promo copies inside. In other words, these sealed LP's are over 50 years old and still perfect.

Ash76 and Tjazz like this.
  13. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

This is the Letters to Penthouse of vinyl acquisition posts.

:pleased:

Young and Restless likes this.
  14. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident

15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

16. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

If I had the fortune to spend on a single record, it would have to be a first-state stereo Butcher cover. Next up would be a numbered US White Album.

apesfan and recordman33 like this.
  17. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I would pay, not a fortune, but a lot of money for a big reggae collection of 45"s. Same for a nice set of Chess blues originals or an Elvis collection of singles. I wouln´t be interested on spending too much for just a record, but I´d very interested on a nice collection.

18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Maybe a Beatles Butcher cover. That's the only thing I can think of. But "fortune" for me would be about $50. :magoo:

19. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Nothing, I think.

20. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

You should probably start a new thread for this......

21. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident

An original copy of the Eagles’ first album and a promo copy of their second album, Desperado.

A first UK or German pressing of Queen’s A Night at the Opera and their self-titled debut.

And last, but not least, The Who’s Face Dances. Why? It’s the first ever record I ever listened to in full.

22. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

A fortune, none.

Just picked up a sealed copy of Love & Rockets self titled 1989 release with the hit single So Alive for $20.

23. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

A tie between 3:
    [​IMG]

Jrr, Richard--W and JNTEX like this.
  24. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Exactly! That was almost always my experience. Besides, I mostly collect import (UK, German, Dutch, French etc.) pressings from 1960s and 1970s which as far as I know were never sealed.

81531 likes this.
  25. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

!! Every sealed copy is both a bootleg and Ludwig before it's opened

Young and Restless likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.