Jethro Tull - This Was and Mr. Steven Wilson *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dougb222, Sep 16, 2016.

1. ChrisH

ChrisH Forum Resident

That's Martin Barre on guitar isn't it?

varitone likes this.
  2. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Definitely Barre. That same show included the instrumental "Martin's Tune"; it was one of his first gigs with the band. Abrahams had been gone for at least a month, hence Iommi's presence at the Rolling Stones' Rock and Roll Circus in early December 1968.

Colinjpush likes this.
  3. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Did they ever record with Tony Iommi, or was it just him miming on Rock'n'Roll Circus ?

4. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

They never recorded with him and his tenure with the band was extremely brief. It's sheer coincidence that his time as a member was recorded on film.

Colinjpush and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  5. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

The conventional electric blues (which I love, by the way) seems to be a straightjacket for their talent- you can see in that early clip how much more animated they are (except for the guitarist- I didn't recognize Barre) as Anderson turns into that madcap minstrel of ye olde English ballad, amp'ed up.
    I saw them in ~ Oct, 1970, by then very polished, they had released Stand Up and Benefit and were about to release Aqualung. They were a great band live in their heyday.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  6. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Mick Abrahams has spoken warmly of I.A. recently and there was the 2001 reunion, so I think their personal differences have been long-resolved.

Clive Bunker seems to get on with everyone, so I doubt there'd be any problem there.

Colinjpush and FVDnz like this.
  7. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Oh damn! You're right: that is Martin. I checked Allmusic.com, and it states Abrahams exited the band at the end of Nov. 1968.

Sorry guys.

8. SJB

The Steven Wilson remix of Stand Up has a complete Stockholm show, plus footage of two of the songs, if you want to hear more of Martin's earliest documented work with the band. (The Stockholm gig was about two weeks after he auditioned.) The work-in-progress version of "Nothing Is Easy" is an interesting excavation for people who are into 14-minute jams.

izgoblin likes this.
  9. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

10. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

11. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

The same way the first Doors album was remixed, instruments left and right with the voice in the center speaker, rears are just ambience.

I was figuring out what Tull is doing for their 50th, a second remix of This Was sounds right.
    Better would be a short tour of the original band (minus Glenn) with both Mick and Martin.

12. Colin H

Colin H Forum Resident

In the absence of a half-hour 'Colour Me Pop' on which the Abrahams Jethro Tull appeared, this is the only moving image of that line-up - a few seconds of silent Pathe newsreel film from an event at Hyde Park. Abrahams is behind an amp. Roy Harper can be seen onstage at the end.

Colinjpush, Siegmund and ParloFax like this.
  13. Northern Lights

Northern Lights Forum Resident

14. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

50 for 50 will need to contain something pretty exciting to make it a purchase.......but roll on October.....

15. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Glimpses also of John Peel, Dave Gilmour and Nick Mason.

ParloFax likes this.
  16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I’d rather have Under Wraps but I may rebuy this if the bonus material is worthy of purchase

tootull likes this.
  17. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

I'd imagine this is a release before Stormwatch next year. I hope they continue and do at least "A" and Broadsword if not Under Wraps. I really really hope Steven does Under Wraps though.

Six Bachelors and Runicen like this.
  18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

IK,R!!

;)

anth67 likes this.
  19. Amazing!

20. The snippet says 4.1 so I’m guessing the .1 is a sub channel

21. SJB

:goodie::pineapple::bdance:
    I'm a sucker for compilations, so I may well pick up 50 for 50 even if I've already got everything on it. I don't have every Tull comp, but I have a lot.

And bring on This Was! And then Stormwatch. There's a case to be made for continuing the reissues into the 1980s, but if that doesn't happen, at least we have the classic 1960s-70s period fully represented. Kudos to Wilson for his dazzling work, and a grateful not do Ian Anderson for letting us rummage around in his closet.

22. Ian had not inherited his Dad's "bowling frock" (or whatever) yet...

Thanks for sharing this film from a fascinating time!

Colinjpush likes this.
  23. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I think most Tull album sessions yielded plentiful out-takes, a lot of them of very high quality. Compared to the barrel-scraping exercise that was the last Led Zeppelin reissue campaign, Tull left some astonishingly polished stuff in the can.

24. tootull

I agree.
    Not likely to get a lot of agreement here, or am I mistaken?

25. tootull

I like to see vintage 4.0 mentioned and I have expressed this during the projects. With a new mix I really don't mind 4.1.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.