The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Thabks mate. Yup uncle and i are back at it.

Last week was the best in a very long time.

Mansley, wavethatflag, adamos and 3 others like this.
  2. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

On a whim, I decided to do a bit of a deep dive back to mid-1985 for the 20th Anniversary Run at The Greek. I've only got 2/3rds through the first set of night 1, 06/14/85, so far and it's too early to draw many conclusions.

So far the most notable moments have been someone (I read it was Jerry in the comments, but doesn't sound like him) messing with Bobby between songs with kissing sound effects and a come-hither "Boooobbbbbyyyyy" and the debut of "Keep On Growing", which was nice. Looking forward to the second set, which looks a little... odd... on paper, anyway.

3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Such a great album cover as well. Truly one of my favourites...

4. GuidedByJonO)))

On another topic, was glad for the opportunity yesterday to introduce my six year-old to the (sorta) live Dead experience. The Rock N Roll Playhouse, which I believe got started in Brooklyn, now has an offshoot in Chicago and they did a few shows yesterday playing Dead songs targeted at kids. I was a little wary going in, but the band was pretty solid! They jammed out just a little bit and certainly didn't "dumb down", they just picked songs that leaned heavier on the dancing vibe and interacted with the kids between songs. I'll admit, it was really cool to see a roomful of littles dancing around with smiles on their faces, this bus ain't stopping any time soon folks.

The setlist was: Shakedown, Scarlet>Fire, Bird Song, Dancin', Not Fade Away, Ripple (may not have the exact order)

5. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

JRAD played 3 nights in Brooklyn (3/8, 3/9 & 3/10) with sone pretty imaginative set lists. Wondering if anyone here attended and could comment....

warewolf95, lucan_g and US Blues like this.
  6. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Grew up in Roslyn (which helps explain why we were at so many of the same shows in the early days), spent every summer in White Lake.

PS: The new Garcia release from Hawaii is wonderful. Absolutely love it.

-Zafu

7. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Maybe my third listen to 5/14/78 from 30 Trips has me realizing that the first set is so great that They Love Each Other & Looks Like Rain are both very good. Opening Half Step IS great and Cassidy is even better than great.

Looking forward to the long (longest?) Let it Grow that ends the set.

8. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Roslyn, eh? Have you heard my father's place is reopening? They already have a bunch of shows lined up. I used to go there all the time and worked for a band that played there often.

budwhite and US Blues like this.
  9. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

My wife and I were going to take our kids to this - but my nephew and his wife's baby shower was going on the same time, so we had to skip it.
    I talked to my kids (8 and 6) about it when I heard about the show a few weeks ago and they pretty excited to go, too.

Thalia Hall has turned into my favorite venue in Chicago - great room and great location (I'm on the south side)

10. GuidedByJonO)))

It was pretty fun, there was a great crowd. Both shows were noted as "sold out", but I'm guessing they sold significantly fewer tickets to keep plenty of room open for the kids to dance. There was a range of ages from 6 months to probably 12-13 years old. I love Thalia Hall, which is what sold me on going, any excuse to check out a show there is appreciated. As was the BBQ at Honky Tonk afterwards.

US Blues, SBegonias17 and hyde park like this.
  11. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Yea, I know. My current fiance was my child-hood sweetheart and also grew up there. Her parents still live in Roslyn so we get back there once a year. Eppy, whose opening it, also owned the Stone Celler, which was a wonderful head-shop in town I used to frequent often 70' - 72'. He was always playing the dead, had met the band and remember when I pressed him on what Jerry was like, only replied, "he's good people". ;-)

It originally opened in late 71 and really took off in 74'. During 71' and 72' I was a Fillmore East regular and by the time My Fathers Place took off, I was in Boston, so sadly, never saw any music there; at least not that I can recall.

Cheers -Zafu

adamos and US Blues like this.
  12. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

When Sultans of Swing hit the airwaves in '79 or so, I thought it was Bob Dylan!

13. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Gotta love the few instances when a venue is easy for the South Siders. I lived in Hyde Park long enough to know seeing a show listed at Metro or Lincoln Hall meant bargaining on a really long night. Turnabout is fair play now--I'm on the far north, and Thalia Hall is now one of those places. :)

Awesome venue.

14. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I've never paid much attention to 1979, but with a strong "Shakedown Street" and "Althea" jones, I headed to '79 territory and enjoyed 8/4 and 8/13. 8/4's "Shakedown" goes directly into "Playing," etc. which is quite cool.

Any other '79 shows I should check out for "Shakedown" and "Althea"?

On a side note, my son is home from college for spring break and he awoke yesterday in the afternoon to me cranking the 8/13 "Other One>Drums" and he said it sounded "really cool and trance-like."

15. warewolf95

Omg kill me now. Weve been stuck sitting on the corner of Union and Macri in Brooklyn with our flashers on for 2 hours waiting for some giys to clear traffic so we cam make a delivery...

#nightmare
    #helpmejerry

bzfgt, US Blues and Dahabenzapple like this.
  16. John69

John69 Forum Resident

1979 Shakedown Street. I would say check out 11/25, 12/01, 12/05, 12/26.

17. John69

John69 Forum Resident

Althea? 11/5 maybe. I think the only II set version in 1979. This show also has an Eyes Of The World with a nice long introduction before the vocals start.

18. ralphk

ralphk Ain’t gonna work on Maggie’s farm no more

Deadheads are everywhere.

19. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

I've decided to jump into 1976 head-on, based on the recent 76 vs 77 discussion. So far, I think I'm turning on that argument. 6/10/76 playing right now, and Jerry is in 100% top form. The runs during FOTD are top notch.

20. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

10 January, 15 January, 4 February. :tiphat:

budwhite, warewolf95 and KeninDC like this.
  21. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I was there a lot. Great variety. A friend of mine will be handling all of the technical aspects of the new place.

warewolf95, US Blues and Zafu like this.
  22. Billy_Sunday

5/5 & 5/6 1990. A couple of "standalone" shows in the California sun, 1 month after the Spring tour ended, and over a month until the next scheduled GD shows (6/8, 9, & 10, Cal-Expo).

A fun weekend down at Cal State Dominguez Hills. The Saturday shows looks real good "on paper" but they sound rusty and just don't quite find their groove. The middle-of-the-first-set H>S>F combo should have been (or at least could have been) the highlight of the set, if not the whole show, but instead it's lackluster. Too bad. The ">" into Slipknot just about falls apart, too much zigging when they should'a been zagging. Franklin's is a long drawn out version with at least 5 lengthy Garcia solos! That is somewhat unusual as verses 2 & 3 are usually sung back to back... the Queen Jane that follows is actually pretty smokin' I think by this point Jerry had shaken the cobwebs off. Loser is nice as usual. Second set is strong but nothing to "write home about" -- the payoff was the 5/6 show. Also nice looking on paper, this Sunday show was ripping from start to finish!

23. Billy_Sunday

Cal State Dominguez Hills, Carson, CA (5/5/90)

Good Time Blues
    The Race is On
    Help on the Way
    Slipknot!
    Franklin's Tower
    Queen Jane Approximately
    Loser
    Me and My Uncle
    Mexicali Blues
    Loose Lucy
    One More Saturday Night

Truckin'
    Crazy Fingers
    Playin' in the Band
    Uncle John's Band
    drums
    I Need a Miracle
    Dear Mr. Fantasy
    Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad
    Around and Around

Touch of Grey

Cal State Dominguez Hills, Carson, CA (5/6/90)

Mississippi Half-Step
    Feel Like a Stranger
    Easy to Love You
    West L.A. Fadeaway
    Masterpiece
    Candyman
    Victim or the Crime
    Foolish Heart

Iko Iko
    Samson and Delilah
    The Weight
    Blow Away
    Terrapin Station
    drums
    The Other One
    Standing on the Moon
    Throwin' Stones
    Turn on Your Love Light

This Could Be the Last Time

24. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

31 December 1971- Winterland. Upgraded copy now in circulation.

Billy_Sunday, LucaB, budwhite and 7 others like this.
  25. warewolf95

May god have mercy on your soul. I thought 5/5 was one of the worst shows id ever heard. :(

rbbert likes this.