"District 9" This one looks like a keeper. - Part 2*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lemonade kid, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

[Moderator note: Continues from here: "District 9" This one looks like a keeper.]

Pretty amazing and unexpected film about aliens and humans in conflict. Kind of a upside down, thru the looking glass twist with the alien immigrants (and soon to be deportees) on the bottom, and the humans their oppressors. This ain't your fathers' "Aliens".

[​IMG]

And it's amazing how the filmmakers made these insect-like aliens more human than the humans.
    [​IMG]

Time to revisit the classic in the making.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2018
    serj, Sammy Banderas and Adam9 like this.
  2. lemonade kid

3. Alien Nation did it back in the 80’s.

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  4. lemonade kid

Right. Forgot that one. But not so compelling...

Alien Nation was a bit like a darker Jackie Chan buddy cop movie but with an alien sidekick...very vaguely similar. And those aliens were not quite so starkly different from humans. No one wanted to integrate the District 9 aliens into the human society, but rather to further remove them from human society -- with the only thought being how to use/exploit them by the industrial/military complex -- for pretty darn heinous purposes.

Sammy Banderas and Shawn like this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The thing I like best about District 9 is, so far, there’s been no talk of a sequel which almost shocks me. I loved the way the story ended in the first one. I hope they leave it as it is. It’s perfect.

Hightops and Sammy Banderas like this.
  6. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news:

A sequel to 'District 9' is in the works

lemonade kid and Sammy Banderas like this.
  7. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Possibly my favorite Sci fi film - I'm usually not a big fan.

Sharlto Copley gives one of the best performances I've ever seen in any genre:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    serj, PHILLYQ, Sammy Banderas and 3 others like this.
  8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

9. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

"Alien Nation" had no Sweetie Man though!

10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Alien Nation was terrible.

lemonade kid likes this.
  11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I loved that one of the main character's name was Van De Merwe. When I was in boarding school in Swaziland I heard many jokes coming out of South Africa about "Van De Merwe". . . he was a comical figure who was the subject or butt of many jokes.

12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I've never seen that movie. How did they create the aliens - the pic could be someone in a suit.

13. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I thought the same thing as the OP when I watched it.
    Brilliant use of making it appear as a news documentary at the beginning.

14. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

I always found it unusual that Blomkamp chose this direction if he wanted to make an allegory for segregation events like Apartheid. We're a species heavily obsessed with exploring space and examining not only our own body molecules but every life form on Earth and what do we do to aliens in this film? Throw 'em in the slums. Even of he meant well while making it, I still find it highly unbelievable to the point where the science fiction argument doesn't hold much weight.

Deesky likes this.
  15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes agree. Really hated this movie - from the painfully obvious allegory, to the cheap shaky-cam doco aesthetic, to annoying characters and accents, to a complete lack of scientific curiosity. I thought it was awful.

16. lemonade kid

Pretty realistic, IMHO, considering Apartheid is only a couple decades past (Cry The Beloved Country), and with the atrocities going on in so many countries, one ethnic group vs another--with heinous horrific crimes against humanity. It is not such a leap to believe that the same horrors and prejudices might evolve against a race of alien beings. Not too far fetched considering the violent history of the human race. Man against man.

Quite compelling, indeed.

17. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It was set years after they had arrived. Think how many of your fellow human beings are living in slums or shantytowns, and you have a lot closer connection to them than you would to someone from another planet. Those living conditions are the default for anyone not wanted by the majority.

lightbulb, Adam9, PHILLYQ and 2 others like this.
  18. lemonade kid

You said it better than me, chris d.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. lemonade kid

So we have passed the test, renamed nicely: "This one looks like a keeper"!

Many thanks to our great & truly fair minded administrators, and all you guys that contributed so calmly and intellegently here!

:tiphat:

A few of mine and others' posts were smartly removed, so we could keep this up and open.

Tim S likes this.
  20. lemonade kid

Looks like it could be a while--it's just in the "Hmmm, I'd like to make that District 10 sequel someday" phase...though alien Christopher did promise he'd be back in 3 years.
    I think it could be good. I hope. :cheers:

I loved little CJ. Who wouldda thought that the aliens would be more warm & fuzzy likable than the humans when we first saw the insect like aliens rummaging in the landfill on the big screen. Their insane catnip-like love for cat food was the first hint at their cuteness & fuzziness.

21. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

The whole thing that made this film was the two-sided nature of it. On one hand, you had this small group of Aliens who were stuck on Earth, their ship unable to take them home, and forced to live in squalor and make everyone treat them as unwanted, and on another hand, the government doing experiments secretly trying to figure out how to make their weapons work.

lemonade kid likes this.
  22. lemonade kid

Were there 1 million aliens rescued off the ship?...which expanded to 1.5 million after 20 years...or did they procreate after 20 years to such a great number? I forget. Hence the ban on reproduction, or at least licensing children and limiting the numbers. It was up to 2.5 million in District 10 at the film's end.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  23. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Yes, I believe you are right in that regard, the number being upwards of more than 1 million. The numbers were indicative of a refugee population that the government wanted everyone to believe as a burden on society.

lemonade kid likes this.
  24. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I liked it, and thought the CGI was quite well done for the day.

John K.

lemonade kid likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.