POLL: Meryl Streep as an actor

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Moshe, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

That’s one role in a career of probably close to one hundred.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  2. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Silkwood, Sophie's Choice. She was kind of sweet in Julie and Julia.

Moshe likes this.
  3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

You’re confusing a strong, focused female lead with being “cold and unlikeable”. She’s had many roles that are the exact opposite of that. Don’t pigeonhole her for a select group of performances.

SgtPepper1983 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  4. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I wonder how much of "cold and unlikeable" translates to "she dosen't look like Kate Beckinsale".

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I think she's been able to continue working in such a vast stable of characters, most people don't know who she is really, because they may have just remembered her in a few roles. Like I said, she has a huge rexume, so that's not their fault.

But I think mistaking the character for the person is not their biggest stumbling block - it's her success. She's done so much, she is now officially known for "being" all those people, and she gets a seat in the front row at the Academy Awards as if she's royalty, and that's [/I]what rubs so many casual fans and non-fans the wrong way. And the way the hosts always genuflect and single her out every Oscar broadcast, it's not surprising that makes an unconscious impression on viewers.

Like most cliches, they are cliches because they ring true. And even if nobody but the movie-going public can remember her last three films at any given time in history, they can always hang on to the idea that "she's in everything", and take their reactive cues from that. The way "half the media" tend to single-out actors and Hollywood as the one community who somehow doesn't have the right to use their notariety to speak about things they're passionate about (which is actually because the things they tend to feel passionate about are contrary to that "half of the media")...it's no wonder she strikes that negative chord with people who aren't fervent cinemaphiles, and that feeds into a negative impression of her that is sorely undeserved.

(ps - this impression and opinion comes from somebody who, honestly, could care less if Streep had a career in the movies or not, because I'm not really a fan of hers. I just empathise with her situation)

6. Rasputin

Rasputin Forum Resident

After she & Bobby opened their pie holes, their acting (unfortunately) never felt the same...

Ginger Ale, Moshe and Propinquity like this.
  7. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Meryl Streep is 68. There are not many actresses that have been around as long as her that can even still get movie rolls, let alone rolls in movies getting Oscar nods (The Post 2017). If she's not a great actress, then who is?

8. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

She's ok

Not my favorite actress by any means, but I am okay with a few of the movies she's been in. Loved her in Death Becomes Her.

Guss2 and Moshe like this.
  9. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

What Katharine Hepburn said...

Moshe likes this.
  10. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Bridges is probably my favorite. Also like Death Becomes Her and Defending Your Life. Haven't enjoyed anything new from her in a long time.

Moshe likes this.
  11. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

If I could vote "Great Actor" and "Don't Care For Her At All", I would.

eric777 and Moshe like this.
  12. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

She is good, but I have never thought she was as great as the hype.

As for all of the Oscar nominations, I don't put much stock in those. Award shows are generally a big joke, especially since once critics and voters decide they love someone, like they did with Streep years ago, you can sometimes get a nomination just for showing up.

eric777 and Moshe like this.
  13. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Don't like her. Never did. Call her Meryl "Sleep" as her movies cause me to drift off.

14. Russ_B66

Russ_B66 Forum Resident

I had to sit through "Mamma Mia" and it required "suspension of disbelief" beyond belief. The daughter is turning twenty and her mother was very young when she was born. Are we to believe that Meryl Streep was forty? What???

Moshe likes this.
  15. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

"Sophie's Choice" is probably the finest performance of an actor in the last 50 years, male or female.

Alan Pakula mentioned on the DVD commentary that she already learned Polish for the role, and then he gave her a terrible surprise by telling her she also had to learn German (for a scene that got added in) during the production. That ain't no easy feat.

2003 was quite a year for her as well, with "Adaptation" and "The Hours". She's great in "Defending Your Life" also.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    lightbulb and Moshe like this.
  16. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I find her to be very overrated. Have you ever said to yourself that you want to see the latest Meryl Streep movie? And I've never seen her in a film where i thought her performance was amazing.

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

love her acting ability...but, she should keep he thoughts outside her movies to herself...

18. Michael

her acting seems effortless...I'm not a huge fan, but I do enjoy her.

Propinquity and Moshe like this.
  19. Michael

well that's a drug free sleeping aid! and she's always available...LOL

HGN2001 likes this.
  20. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Quite true!

21. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

wow....nonlove for the streepster. never thought id see the day. this thread is more shocking than a Paul McCartney hate thread

The Iron Lady?

I see them as polar opposites, Jack IS the character (kind of like paul newman), Meryl becomes the character , shes more old school dustin Hoffman, I don't rush out to see her but shes probably our finest actress pound for pound

22. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

You sound like an old buddy of mine who has a really bad toupee. :p

HenryH and Moshe like this.
  23. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

One of the best.

24. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

It's kind of ironic that the majority of votes in the poll affirm she's great, and the majority of comments in the tread claim she's not very gifted. Odd thing, that.

Chris DeVoe, eric777 and Nice Marmot like this.
  25. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

deniro? redford?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.