Thoughts on the future of Grand Funk Railroad?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRD, Dec 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I think I've read that Farner doesn't have too much of a problem with Mel, who probably just needs the work.

Attempting to tread lightly: I will say that Mark made a few political/conspiracy theory comments when I last saw him that got a bit of an uncomfortable reaction from the crowd. I've read interviews so I didn't find them surprising but that may be a bigger issue for Brewer than his religious beliefs.

Don't really want to bash Don too much but I've also heard that he's the one kiboshing the release of the Maysles brothers' Shea Stadium documentary because of perceived lack of interest. Grrr.

2. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Listening to the aforementioned Bosnia right now, sounds phenomenal!

Todd W., rstamberg and Danby Delight like this.
  3. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

No Mark, No Funk, end of story.

This is as bad as the louts currently calling themselves the Guess Who.

Just because you have the legal right to do it doesn't necessarily make it the right thing to do.

4. Growing up, the only GF I knew was 'American Band and Loco Motion' because that is what was played on the classic rock stations. Later in life I moved to Cleveland and started a rock band in the late 2000's and my bassist turned me on to their first 5 albums. I was blown away. I had no idea they rocked that hard. Here in CLE, they do have that hard rock credibility, but I guess it hasn't translated outside the rust belt.
    Many of their early recordings were done by Kenneth Hamann here (and I think he's still at it!).
    It would be great to see a reunion and 're branding' attempt to remind folks of their muscular hard rock roots. We're losing so many great artists, it's a shame that they can't pull it together for a farewell run, especially given that Farner is still in relatively good voice.

JoeRockhead and BadJack like this.
  5. francocozzolives

francocozzolives Well-Known Member

Well, in a book on my shelf "Encyclopaedia of Rock" it describes Grand Funk as "mediocre head banging outfit for whom right place right time was the key to success". Not a joke. It says that. So I think their only future should be as exiles on another planet.

6. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Yes, that train has left the station.

driverdrummer likes this.
  7. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Is your Encyclopedia Of Rock from Rolling Stone?

Matthew Tate and keyXVII like this.
  8. McRich

McRich Forum Resident

I think I have one in my CD collection. I never listen to it and probably never will again. PM me if you are interested. I would rather a fan have this CD than collect dust. I was at the Bosnia show too! Met the Grand Funk boys after the show.

9. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Not sure of the "future", but the Japan Past Masters cds are the bomb! :agree:

Todd W. likes this.
  10. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

The red RS Encyclopedia Of Rock reviews are funny to read.

11. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Is that the show that was recorded at The Palace of Auburn Hills (Mich)?
    If so, I was at that show. Very impressive. There was also video of that show at one point.

12. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

Funny, I'm currently listening to We're An American Band and found this thread.

Haggis Wampovich and Todd W. like this.
  13. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Yes. I ordered a copy of `Bosnia' from Japan and it was shipped several weeks ago. I'm still waiting
    for it to arrive.

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Now being discussed on the Farner Facebook page, apparently Mel stopped touring last August (2017), and now GFR is represented by one member, ala Skynyrd. :rolleyes:

15. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

How'd they say Mel was doing? He had some substance abuse issues from what I've heard. Hope he's just decided to take it a little easy or retire.

16. Myke

His health hasn't come up, just his retirement from the road.

17. PPL Runner

PPL Runner Forum Resident

I saw GF last November (2017) and Mel was still with them.

18. PPL Runner

PPL Runner Forum Resident

A quick check of the Grand Funk webpage did show that Mel isn't currently touring with the band and it mentions that it's due to a family emergency. Pictures on the site confirm that he was still touring as of November, 2017.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Myke

20. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

seacliffe301, keyXVII and Myke like this.
  21. Myke

In the comments on Facebook, I suggested Don team up with Gary Rossington. :laugh:

Pennywise, Spaghettiows and boboquisp like this.
  22. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

keyXVII, JoeRockhead and Myke like this.
  23. Myke

24. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Yeah, new lawsuit over Capitalization. Good thing Farner's a Christian or Brewer might've seen the business end of a pistol.

Myke likes this.
  25. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

keyXVII and Myke like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.