Artists You're "Supposed To Be Into" But Just Don't Care About That Much

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Waves Crashing, Mar 10, 2018.

1. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Love all the "nobody tells me what to like" talk on this thread. :)

PDK, bzfgt, Terrapin Station and 4 others like this.
  2. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

The Yes Album is one of my all-time favorite records, yet I've never owned anything else by them. They're in a weird category for me of "I don't really like them, but I LOVE this one thing."

ellingtonic likes this.
  3. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Kinks? Incomprehensible. The Beatles would be more reasonable than that.

bzfgt likes this.
  4. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

W
    The next two LPs were kind of seamlessly placed with it, in a kind of brilliant triptych. Have you really given them a try?

5. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Well, thanks for the kind words! I respect your open mind.
    Prince in the studio doesn't ever land in James Brown territory.... probably because many of his best recordings have him playing every instrument, and a one-man band will never capture the "raw-ness" of James live in the studio with a hot band. (If anything, he's closer to a R&B/funk version of Todd Rundgren than a JB acolyte.) So I suspect the polished part IS putting you off and you might not be able to get past that?

Do you have Amazon Prime? If so, watch the "Sign O' The Times" movie, which just came out of OOP land and is now streaming for free. It's not a true "Prince concert experience" (there's some weird filmed bits that tend to ruin the flow) but the bulk of the show is excellent and not particularly "show-off." "I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man" is pretty great. You might enjoy that more than the studio albums, honestly.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  6. Waves Crashing

Waves Crashing Forum Resident Thread Starter

Guided By Voices is a band I WANT to like so so much. They hit everything on my checklist: prolific, great melodies, off the cuff sound, shambolic catalog, overtones of Brit invasion song elements. But admittedly their discography intimidates me a little. I have a couple of their albums, but I feel like I haven't found the right one to hook me in. It's likely at some point in the next few years I'll sit down and fall in love with at least an album or two.

Tristero likes this.
  7. Waves Crashing

Oh yeah, forgot to mention Creedence. Can't stand Fogerty's voice. And I grew up on a steady diet of classic rock singles, and movies with war scenes where they blare CCR from the choppers.

crispi and somnar like this.
  8. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

They are a band who disappoints me with every song I hear. I have owned a few albums over the years, bought on recommendation, but I just don't like any of it. I'm not about to listen to any more albums just to be disappointed all over again. Just not for me. Same thing with Pavement, and I even saw them live back in the day.

9. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

The Smiths.

But I have a feeling that this is largely to do with the fact that I can't.stand.Morrissey.

OldSoul and Fullbug like this.
  10. Waves Crashing

That's fair, certainly not for everyone. I love Pavement though. I bought Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain when I was 14 and I've always owned a copy of it since then.

The Replacements are probably my fave band of all time, but again I get that not everybody identifies with the persona of the Mats as much as I do. Hopefully though people can still recognize the song craft in their best work.

drad dog and Fullbug like this.
  11. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Anyone curious about R.E.M. should get their hands on the 1991 release of the compilation "The Best Of R.E.M." I just picked it up, and it sounds great - musically and from a mastering standpoint. A relatively risk-free way of checking them out...

12. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Love The Smiths.
    Morrissey took a while to grow on me.

13. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

I have a love/hate relationship with “Marquee Moon.” Whenever the song begins, I love it. Ten minutes and 19 seconds later, I hate it.

14. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I probably shouldn't even respond, but I'm compelled to do so (sorta pre-80's as I have very little interest after that). No hate but never listen:
    1. Velvet Underground/anything Lou Reed;
    2. Talking Heads (spastic, not enjoyable);
    3. Springsteen (great work ethic; very high school)
    4. Mozart (Incidental, despite being prolific);
    5. Zep post-Presence (oy, not so good).
    6. Prince. Just so very annoying. Great talent but still annoying.

bzfgt likes this.
  15. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

I think Morrissey writes lyrics like a 13 year old school girl. But, I love their music.

Sprocket Henry likes this.
  16. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

Steve Wilson. I have a few of his things, Porcupine Tree, Blackwing, solo stuff, and Lord, have I tried, but it all seems like emperors new clothes to me. No great songs, nothing particularly interesting about his work. There’s a lot of rabid fandom though, so I tend to keep my mouth shut.... ‘you are listening to him wrong!! His stereo mixes are just an afterthought!!!’

Erm, ok....

17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

AC/DC
    Iron Maiden.
    Depeche Mode
    Nirvana (though I love Tori's cover of SLTS)
    Van Morrison (after the 70's).
    Saxon.
    Judas Priest
    Motley Crew
    - in fact practically all new metal/ hair metal with exception of Metallica's Black Album (which probably isn't real metal).
    Eminem.
    Jay Z.
    - in fact most rap and grime (the new UK version).
    Prince (though I get his musical skill)
    Michael Jackson.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Earscape and Archtop like this.
  18. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

I'm an individual! And so is my wife (husband/partner/small furry creature from Alpha Centauri)! ;)

19. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Oops--it's a page back, but my post about the Clash had an important typo. That was supposed to read "Those are just the folks who haven't graduated to preferrring Sandinista yet." I guess it was clear that's what I was saying despite the typo. It's interesting that we can read the intention behind "negation typos" that easily.

20. Col

Col Forum Resident

Of all the legendary performers that one is "supposed to be into" as a fan of popular music,then my disinterest is in Elvis Presley.Doesn't do it for me.Perhaps because the first of his music that I heard was the middle seventies stuff and it felt so middle aged,while the earlier work sounded so alien and old fashioned.

drad dog likes this.
  21. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

Bob Dylan
    Springsteen

Earscape likes this.
  22. Terrapin Station

Well, or people don't even believe you.

I wrote a post about this on a Paul McCartney thread yesterday, though it seems to have been mostly ignored.

Here's a link to that post:

Paul McCartney greatest flaw as an artist ?

Grant likes this.
  23. Terrapin Station

The sooner we realize that everyone is an individual the better. :righton:

24. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Given I like Nirvana a great deal many people say I should love the Foo Fighters. I don't like the Foo Fighters and never have really enjoyed their music. Oh and FWIW, anybody can tell me what I should like - I just ignore them and move on ;)

25. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Megadeth and Rush.