What Artists/Albums Do You Love But Are Embarrassed Of?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StevenC, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur. Thread Starter

Example: For me, when I have someone who I know will look through my record collection is coming to visit, I hide my Wham records and my first two Culture Club records. I love The Smiths to AC/DC to Tool to other things... which are the artists you love but may consider stuffing under the bed if important company came over?

To me, owning Culture Club "Kissing To Be Clever" and Wham "Fantastic" goes way beyond "guilty pleasure". It's more than that; it's embarrassing.

sekaer, john lennonist and zappinnati like this.
  2. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Try Twiggy - Please get my name Right, recorded beautifully on Mercury, the ultimate bland recording that I can't stop playing.

onlyacanvasky likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Hopefully it's just a coincidence that the lead singers of both of those bands are gay.

4. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

What's embarrassing about them?

5. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I'm secure enough to leave my Wham! (that's how you spell it btw, so you're obviously not much of a fan :p) Abba and U2 recordings out in the open for everyone to see. Who decides what is an embarrassing artist?

DME1061, Zoot Marimba and ralphb like this.
  6. StevenC

Coincidence. I was citing it as embarrassing because I am an indie fan or a rock fan and they're very sugary and poppy. There's a big difference between "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" and "I'll Tumble 4 Ya"

7. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Ace of Base, and Hanson's "MMMBop". So loserific but I love them. Good thing I wear headphones.

8. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

But sugary pop songs have some of the best hooks, either musically or vocally. The Ramones, New York Dolls and countless other lionized bands were huge fans of AM pop radio.

9. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Absolutely.

quakerparrot67 and ralphb like this.
  10. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

None, I don’t give a f***. Granted, I know when something I like sucks, but I still don’t feel embarrassed when one sees them.

11. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

It's like this with me...if you don't like what's on my turntable...TOUGH-GET OUT!!!

Terrapin Station likes this.
  12. l-l-d

l-l-d Forum Resident

Same goes for me.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  13. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Dead or Alive

Malcolm Crowne, sekaer and c-eling like this.
  14. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

Nothing I'm embarrassed enough to hide. Some of the music I loved in my teenage years has aged, umm, poorly, but I'll still proudly blast it when I'm feeling nostalgic.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  15. StevenC

Wish I were as strong as all of you who say you don't care. My friends/cousins are rough. They once came over and spotted Weird Al Yankovic "In 3-D" and "Dare To Be Stupid" and it was a day-ruining crucifixion

mahanusafa02 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  16. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

The first album I ever bought was ABBA's greatest hits. Still embarrassed of that one, but at least ABBA are cooler now than they were for a while.

Fortunately my second ever album was The Beatles: Help, and the third Frank Zappa: Zoot Allures. So, I got better.

17. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I'm not embarrassed by any of them, but if you're looking for something in my collection that might draw ridicule or teasing, then I suppose it would be Barbara Streisand, Barry Manilow and Debbie Gibson. I have 3 greatest hits CD's from both Streisand and Manilow and the first 2 releases from Ms. Gibson.

Ha ha. Yeah, you have to be really thick skinned with my friends. Although to be fair we all piled on my buddy Pete for his collection of show tunes.

18. Mr wiggles

Mr wiggles Forum Resident

I'm not sure if this qualifies but I do love a Cindi Lauper song when it's comes on the radio.
    I'm not sure if others perception of her and not that I care.
    It's just I'm sure a man in his 40's isn't supposed to like her songs as much as I do.
    Just great pop songs.

19. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Embarrassed?? Of a record or CD??

Firstly I think there is zero to be embarrassed about owning a Culture Club or Wham! record. Two exceeding great and successful bands in the genre of popular (80's) music.

Secondly, that's where music snobbery germinates from.....and needs to be stamped out!!. Although your on this forum, and it's rife here!!:hide:

Thirdly....I couldn't thinks of any records that I own that others may consider embarrassing as quite frankly I couldn't give a toot!!

However......embarrassed of my children??......frequently!!.

dalem5467 likes this.
  20. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Funny, I was about to post about my Weird Al albums. I don't really care, but my daughter did have a laugh or two when she saw them in my collection. But then I played some and she really liked some of it.

21. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

The band Asia.

Stencil likes this.
  22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Shame on me then:biglaugh::

[​IMG]

StevenC likes this.
  23. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I don't give a flying fig what others think of my music tastes.

24. StevenC

of course it's ok to like her! Remember when "She Bop" was controversial when it was revealed what it was about...

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Seriously, everything that is here, is here for a reason, I'm not ashamed of records. I might hide condoms though. You don't want to be too obvious too soon:evil:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.