Jethro Tull – Heavy Horses: New Shoes Edition, 5-disc set (9 February 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

If I recall correctly, Burning Shed just sent a replacement automatically.

Bill Mac likes this.
  2. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

you are correct but my point is the defected dvds are still sold out and demand a very high price on ebay, those have a legit defect and the heavy horse dvd play fine so it wont effect sales and there is no "need" to be repleced

3. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Strange, so has been going on for awhile just that nobody has noticed.

4. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

5. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

It is a sign that manufacturing process has a flaw. Will it cause any problem or not, nobody knows. Most likely not.
    Many people don't like it. Like buying a book with dirty pages. One can still read it, but it is not right.
    I have not seen my DVD yet. If it looks like this, and doesn't have any scratches, I won't ask for replacement, but it tells me that somebody has a ****ty manufacturing process. "Aesthetic judgement" has nothing to do with it.

shadlet, ParloFax and slipkid like this.
  6. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

:wtf: Holy panic! All mine (nervously) :rant: checked fine. First time I've seen a cloudy DVD is with the HH live disc.

No soup for you!

Plan9 likes this.
  7. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Cloudy or not. Who gives a crap lol

MikeT and Tullman like this.
  8. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

9. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

You're not paying for a product with no cosmetic "flaws". You're paying for the music, music transported on a medium that allows playback without fault. This is precisely what has been delivered. The "it must look like it was delivered from a vacuum" is a consumer desire that goes beyond that. It's not like the label is deliberately marking the surface. This is not a fine jewel, it's a consumer grade, mass produced, DVD that you're paying (relatively) little for. CD and DVD's are specifically designed to withstand cosmetic blemishes such as this.

I ask you - assuming your disc plays, what precisely is the loss to the consumer? What's the damage? Just how often are you obsessing over the surface of your CD's and DVD's? And if you are, why?

10. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Would a new DVD with more than 50% of its playing surface scuffed and still playable would be acceptable to you? Not sure what is the acceptable limit.

This is about meeting a manufacturing standard not about how much you pay or what is comestically acceptable or not.Any inputs from the smart people on this thread are welcome.

11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Well, I may not qualify as one of the "smart people", but I'll reply anyway. :D

I don't have a limit. I've never even thought about it. I do know one thing for certain - it's not 0%.

Norco74 likes this.
  12. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

My DVD 2 has no scuff marks, maybe because I hold the disc sleeve so that it is slightly open so removing the disc without the playing surface touching the smooth card inner. Could some instances of scuffing be caused by dragging the disc out of the sleeve carelessly. I only ask as I have seen the way some people handle discs makes me cringe.

showtaper likes this.
  13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, I use IMGUR. I used to use photobucket but it became a huge PITA. IMGUR isn't perfect but at least it seems like the images I upload work when I post them.

JulesRules and geodos like this.
  14. I am not that - and I don't even own the box yet - but relying on the pictures shown here, I'll say this affects another element: the resale value.

I have bought a few expensive (for my budget) CD/DVD box sets in the past which I didn't enjoy in the end (Citizen Steely Dan, Tull cigar box...). I was sure glad I could sell these back - because they were impeccable - and recoup part of my money. Anyone should be able to resell a product he don't need anymore, don't like anymore or can't afford to keep anymore. I wouldn't like to have to explain a cosmetic defect like that to a potential buyer...

shadlet, Norco74 and slipkid like this.
  15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I'm with you. As a step in the right direction I would at least like to know what causes this condition, find out if it could worsen over time & then affect playback later. Those who just seem to want to ignore the issue and criticize those of us that are concerned about it make me wonder if they work for the record label and just want to hush the whole thing up (I'm kidding but that thought has crossed my mind).

If all DVDs looked like this I'd have no problem with it, that'd be the norm. But they don't. The closest thing I've ever seen to this was CDROT on my Deep Purple Live In Japan 21st Anniversary 3 CD set which played fine at first but then became 100% unreadable over time (the label acknowledged that as a manufacturing defect and made free replacement copies available).

Obviously there is something strange here so what is the harm in wanting to know what is going on, or even to ask for a "normal" DVD that doesn't have this weirdness on it for your own piece of mind? If it plays fine now and I know it will not affect play later then I'm perfectly fine with the disc no matter how it looks. It could have purple polka dots or look like the inside of my shower curtain for all I care (that reminds me I need to get a new shower curtain). It's not the cosmetics that matter to me but until I know what the deal with the weird clouds are it is a concern.

As an aside that has no real connection to this but still made me think of an association, the Philadelphia Flyers (I am a huge fan) recently played a game against the Winnipeg Jets. The Jets have a defenseman whose name is Chiarot! Made me think of a rotting chia-pet that somebody watered too much or something. Just my wacky sense of humor.

shadlet and ParloFax like this.
  16. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

How about people agree to disagree on their level of concern over the murky DVD discs?

17. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Or people get over it lol

rikki nadir and anth67 like this.
  18. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The argument against expecting a scratch/smudge free disc even though it currently doesn't harm playback is invalid, IMHO. What if you bought a new car with cloudy or scratched paintwork? Same type of fault, but would that still be a first world problem?

shadlet likes this.
  19. You know people who would buy a new car with cloudy or scratched paintwork and not complain about it?..

20. Norco74

Smart people refers to the ones with manufacturing or engineering experience/knowledge about DVD.

The real question here is when does clouding or visual scuffing , because a lot of it is not seen, could really affect DVD playing on a short or long term.

Parlofax is right, right from the getgo a new scuffed CD or DVD has a less resell value.

21. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Everybody would complain, and IMHO rightly so.

22. Norco74

Try to figure out the salesman pitch here...

23. I had misread you, sorry...

24. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

And so they have. And the endgame from a discussion perspective is...?

25. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Any comments on the 5.1 mix on these offensively disfigured DVDs?

aoxomoxoa and Plan9 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.