He or She never fulfilled their potential in your eyes..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frimleygreener, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

The Stone Roses

Crungy, peachyg72, Sluggy and 2 others like this.
  2. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

True on all accounts but he could have released some great albums even if they didn’t do incredibly well.
    The funny thing about grunge is, Ric Ocasek’s Troublizing sounds the most dated of his solo work. I blame Silly Corgan.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I got the sense he mentioned Rolling Stone’s list as a joke.

4. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

you should listen to "like flies on sherbert" ... great album, one of the lost classics...

vanhooserd likes this.
  5. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I totally got messed with haha hey you never know on this site! :D

6. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I agree about Troublizing. Ben should have put out a follow up to The Lace...even if it was on an Indy label. He was a great vocalist.

Keith V likes this.
  7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Randy Rhodes
    Jimi Hendrix
    Stevie Ray

8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think Plastic Ono Band, especially, and Imagine, are proof that John fulfilled his "solo potential". It's hard to imagine -ha- him topping those albums in the 80s.
    They were created in turmoil, but that's part of what makes them great. Rekindled relationships (I suspect you mean Paul) wouldn't have pushed him to greater heights, not if Double Fantasy is anything to go by.

somnar and Zoot Marimba like this.
  9. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Strongly disagree with the inclusion of Jeff Beck and Joe Walsh. They each have about ten great albums and are still going strong in their 70s. Just because neither became solo superstars doesn't mean they didn't fulfill their potential.
    And besides, Joe Walsh has survived a great deal and Beck has a number of oil changes dominating his everyday schedule.

10. quakerparrot67

quakerparrot67 Forum Resident

wow- ths song gives xtc a run for their money...

cheers,
    rob

Terrapin Station likes this.
  11. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Great concert though. Saw him opening for Bad Company. He really puts on a good concert

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  12. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

The all-time epitome: Gene Clark. This guy had the greatest career takeoff imaginable in The Byrds, he had the songwriting skills, the V-O-I-C-E, the looks, the taste and... Sigh.:(

Ezd, moodyxadi, peachyg72 and 6 others like this.
  13. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

New Radicals

John Adam and Crimson jon like this.
  14. DPM

DPM Senior Member

King's X

Despite a string of very good albums early on and being an incredibly potent unit on stage, the other little power trio from Texas just never really caught on in a big way with the public. To this day they remain an underground phenomena with a cult following.

Riot

This Brooklyn-based boogie metal group was hindered by a predatory manager whose actions led to a revolving door of band members coming and going. The departure of original vocalist Guy Speranza was the nail in the coffin though the band would soldier on in one form or another until the death of original guitarist Mark Reale.

KT Tunstall

This girl has a knack for writing catchy songs yet big success seems to have passed her by. Curious.

15. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Surprised that someone else mentioned, but this was the first person I thought of. To be honest, though, I think he's done further work under another name so maybe he fulfilled his potential when I wasn't looking ...

That's not really fair ... I agree that her career has been on a downwards trajectory but I think she pretty much met her her potential.

Although she's one of my favourite artists of all time, I feel that Kate Bush has wasted her potential.

16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I would agree with jeff beck being on the list if he had stopped after 72 but his fusion stuff in the mid-late 70's made up for it

17. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

Agree with Jeff Beck, all technique over substance, as they say in the film `Amadeus`......`Too many notes`.....where are the TUNES Jeff?
    As for his pal `Rod Stewart`, started off as a truly great blues singer, and then decided to spend the rest of his career waggling his backside, and crooning!

Joe Walsh `Strummed along with the Eagles`......err, there was that little guitar solo in `Hotel California`.

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  18. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

I'll agree with Beck, but in the context of the JBG only. If he'd not been so trigger happy and that band had stayed together, they could have achieved so much imo. Not Jeff's fault he had his bike accident in '69 though. But before then he had already been through 4 drummers and sacked Ron Wood before reinstating him virtually the next day.

19. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

The daddy of them all is Eddie Cochrane. As a gifted songwriter as well as having the looks and guitar talent, what could he have done had he lived? I'm absolutely sure he'd have broken out of the pure rock n roll mould and developed in interesting directions, and made great music in the process

moodyxadi and pig bodine like this.
  20. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Bob Dylan. Enough with changing the world and our souls; what have you done for me lately?!?

21. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

It is a lost classic. Then.. no more classics.

22. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Kate Bush.

23. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

Buddy Holly - would have been interesting to see where he would have gone musically.

Sex Pistols - only one real album, but maybe that was the way it was meant to be.

The Vapors - had some success but the song writing was strong enough, imho, to have achieved more. Same with The Only Ones.

24. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

The Sons of Champlin, who in their own words- Answered the phone when opportunity came knocking.

Also, Moby Grape, wouldn't know where to begin with them.

vanhooserd and john lennonist like this.
  25. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

My Bloody Valentine

Elastica

Should have made more than just two or three albums each.

Echo and john lennonist like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.