Stylus Question - Audio-Technica AT95E

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GroovyGuy, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently purchased a vintage turntable which as a fresh AT95E installed on it. One of the first things I do when I acquire a new cartridge is to buy a spare stylus. I'm in the process of doing that now.

Currently, Amazon (Canada) has the AT95E on sale for C$58 including shipping https://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technic...?ie=UTF8&qid=1520985310&sr=8-1&keywords=at95e .

When I went to the Jico SAS site, their stylus is U$56 plus shipping ATN3451E, JICO stylus | Online Shopping for Japanese Phonograph Needles

Based on this, it would be cheaper for me to buy the entire cartridge on sale from Amazon and get the OEM stylus with it. My question is - is the Jico / SAS a better stylus and worth the extra money? I don't mind paying more for a better stylus but I don't want to pay more for something that would be the same as what I'd get with the OEM stylus from Amazon. Thoughts? TIA :)

2. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

That is not a JICO SAS stylus. It is a JICO elliptical. A/T makes fine styli so my opinion it is about 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Leonthepro and patient_ot like this.
  3. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

I have an AT95E and have experimented with several aftermarket styli. A good option is here on the Turtable Needles site.

It might be worth mentioning that the OEM stylus has dimensions of .4 x .7, while the Bliss aftermarket option is .3 x .7, which is a slightly finer cut. I have this, and there is a difference to my ears, at least.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    GroovyGuy likes this.
  4. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

I used the AT95E as my first cartridge on my AT-LP120 and it worked fine to me. I never really thought it sounded "inferior" until I upgraded to a MoFi Cartridge, and I still think it's the best in the price range.

GroovyGuy likes this.
  5. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I tend to agree. I'm using this cart in my second "vintage" system so my feeling is that if I upgrade the cart I won't really hear a difference due to the other components. That said, I'm pleased with the sound I'm getting right now so I'm just going with it :)

H8SLKC and Brendan K like this.
  6. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

I'm thinking to into buy one AT95 for me... just from curiosity :) Folks what are you talking about it? Is it good idea?

7. tables_turning

Probably one of the best choices available in its price range.

vwestlife likes this.
  8. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

Yes price is good. I also have at440mlb+ new ATN150SA and Nagaoka MP-110 so I was interested about this at95 :whistle:

9. tables_turning

I like mine. I upgraded the stylus to the ATN95EX...instant improvement. This one is a keeper.

MikeInFla likes this.
  10. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

The AT95 is a good budget choice. It has been a Stereophile recommended cartridge for years. There are many aftermarket styli to choose from.

H8SLKC likes this.
  11. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

I watched this video on youtube. AT95 vs Nagaoka MP-110.

I don't hear much of a difference. Is it youtube, is it my Notebook or my headphones, or is it my ears?

12. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

The AT95e is a very good cartridge, no qualifiers needed. Plenty of choices in styli for it including shibata tips. FWIW, the super cheap AT3600 and others using the AT 211 body offer incredible value and goodness in sound as well, also with multiple styli options. I actually prefer its tone to the AT95e. Chinese sellers on ebay are offering the AT3600L for $11-13 shipped.

vwestlife likes this.
  13. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

I'm curious as to why you feel the need for a cart that is several steps below what you already have? The 440 and 150 are premium cartridges, don't know that much about the Nagaoka. But why the 95? Not that it isn't a good value, but you already have two - perhaps three - that are superior.

14. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Just my opinion. I would not buy anything less than a VM540ML. The AT-120e does not work for me either. I know the VM540ML costs 5x a AT-95e, but it sounds much better. The VM540ML is still at the lower end of audiophile quality cartridges, but gets you there. If you just cannot spend that much, a Grado Green is superior to the AT-95e for $25 more. (I'm no fun, huh)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    nosliw likes this.
  15. Livewire91

Livewire91 Mammagamma Member

AT 95E is really great for it's price.

16. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Well on my TT it is shrill at certain high frequencies. That is a show stopper for me. My FM tuner does not sound shrill, but of course the resolution on FM is a lot less than a TT.

17. Livewire91

Livewire91 Mammagamma Member

Best audio equipment is your own ears and everyone has their own specific hearing/opinion. That's whats really awesome and opinions are different. I have a AT-LP120 with ortofon 2m red cartridge. Connected straight to the klipsch r15 pm speakers and i love the sound. That is all that matters, as long as you just enjoy the music and the sound :):thumbsup:

You can just buy different cartridges or stylus till you find the one you like and return the ones that don't suit your likings.

18. The AT95E is a cheap, entry level cartridge. You could probably buy a new cartridge with stylus for about the same as the genuine replacement stylus. Current Amazon pricing in U.S.$ is $49. for the complete cartridge and $35. for the replacement stylus. If you want to upgrade, get an AT95EX at Amazon for $59.

19. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

Not sure if anyone in this thread is still after a at95e but I have one unbranded left. It just doesnt have the logo, but it's an original AT stylus and cart and never used. I don't really need it myself, asking $47cdn (approx 37usd)

New: AT95E cartridge/stylus

Livewire91 likes this.
  20. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

I have intended use AT95 for old not good vinyl condition. I like 440 and 150 so much. Nagaoka is also good but is different like these two AT´s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.