Jethro Tull – Heavy Horses: New Shoes Edition, 5-disc set (9 February 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

This will be my last post on the subject. I don't blindly accept damaged goods. Apparently many of you do. Have you actually tested the error rates in a defective disc? Try it sometime, you may be surprised at the results.

shadlet, folkfreak and slipkid like this.
  2. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Great release. Fantastic sound, interesting book, generous selection of music, remix and original mix included, bonus concert is brilliant. Count me a very satisfied customer who is not in the least troubled by marks on the non-label side of a DVD which do not affect play.

Tim

lordfalconer, tootull, Plan9 and 3 others like this.
  3. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

[​IMG]

Tim

porieux, tootull, DaverJ and 5 others like this.
  4. Good luck in trying to explain that to your favorite used CD/DVD shop buyer.

...And no, not just dealers resell. **** happens, plus no one lives forever.

From a previous post of mine: "I have bought a few expensive (for my budget) CD/DVD box sets in the past which I didn't enjoy in the end (Citizen Steely Dan, Tull cigar box...). I was sure glad I could sell these back - because they were impeccable - and recoup part of my money. Anyone should be able to resell a product he don't need anymore, don't like anymore or can't afford to keep anymore. I wouldn't like to have to explain a cosmetic defect like that to a potential buyer...''

slipkid, Bonddm, Norco74 and 2 others like this.
  5. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Like you, this will be my last post on this topic. I've nothing new to say, and am in danger of lending credence to the naysayers by keeping this non-event going.

My final words are: We live in a time where people complain if their Vinyl has a little surface noise, or the odd crackle and pop. We live in times where people pay more for colored Vinyl because of resale value. We live in times where people complain their Vinyl isn't black enough. We live in times where people complain their gold Vinyl isn't gold enough, and their silver Vinyl isn't silver enough. We live in times where people put their Vinyl on a scale and weigh it, feeling aggrieved if it falls a few ounces short. We live in times when a scuff on a DVD that does not affect is apparently justification for a replacement to be issued. It all makes me feel very, very, old and out of touch.

6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Not sure why you think I'm against you reselling something you've bought. You can. Anyone doing research on this set will find threads just like this, and know it was a very common issue. In the case of this one release, let's say you can't resell it (highly unlikely, but I'll go with it) - the world doesn't stop. If you've researched you'd know that all of these sets have tremendous resale value. You're setting up a bit of a straw man here, imagining the very worst scenario. If you can't resell it, then you can't. Move on. That won't be the case though.

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I don't order much new vinyl but if it has excessive surface noise or an odd crackle or pop the vinyl is going back. This is totally different than the discussion of the Tull DVD. Maybe you have no problem buying inferior product such as the noisy vinyl. But I'm not throwing away my hard earned money on clearly sub standard music.

I recently bought Mark Knopfler's Tracker box set from importcds. The vinyl in the set was defective with loud pops due to pressing issues. I contacted importcds and got a prepaid shipping label and a new box set was sent out.

8. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

That's what I call celebrating St. Patrick's Day. :winkgrin: The wearing of the green.
    [​IMG]
    :cheers:

9. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I’d say Ian would be sad to learn of the death here in Ireland of Liam Óg Ó Floinn, today, master piper. I know he’s a great admirer of Liam's fellow musician, the supreme flautist, Matt Molloy.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    the no guy and Plan9 like this.
  10. Indeed. The picture below is similar to my Tin whistle collection. I am still a rank amateur.
    [​IMG]

11. tootull

Sorry to hear that.

12. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Liam died today ?

sad....

13. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, he did.

14. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

Btw. guys. What are your favourite bonus tracks from this splendid set?

15. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

I like them all but "Horse-Hoeing Husbandry" has to be the one. "Botanic Man" close second.

electronicpaperboy likes this.
  16. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Living in these hard times 1 and 2 for sure. Excellent tracks. Everything in our lives and Beltane are fairly good. The rest are good

Kim Olesen and Mirsset like this.
  17. tootull

Living In These Hard Times 1 and 2 are excellent tracks, very repeatable. Beltane is good and repeatable. The rest are not on my repeat list.

18. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Hard times is very album worthy. Replaces journeymen. All the others would miss out but most of them are good tracks

19. electronicpaperboy

electronicpaperboy Forum Resident

Journeyman is essential to the original album, it's irreplaceable in my humble opinion

20. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

don't feed the trolls

21. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Bye Bye Folk Freak :cool:

22. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

All of them and as I have said, I think it might be the strongest of the unreleased tracks so far.

sound chaser and Pete Puma like this.
  23. tootull

Did not mean to imply any bonus track to be bad, just not my cup of tea. It's usually the vocal that I'm not in sync with. Love the original album tracks as a complete play.

24. tootull

Don't understand this post. Troll, where?

JulesRules likes this.
  25. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

After reading your post, I had a look at my Stand Up DVD - as well as the blotches, it has a large "island" in the middle of it, centered on the spindle bit, as if it were map, showing the divide between the land and the sea. Plays fine though.

Can I suggest that maybe everyone is right? That is, the people who are troubled by this are entitled to be troubled without those who are not troubled telling them that they are making something out of nothing and that those who are not troubled by it are entitled not to be troubled without those who are troubled telling them that they are not making a big enough deal about it? :winkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.