The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

I love the Cryptical Reprise from that show.

2. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I gave Three From The Vault and Dylan’s New Morning to a friend on an extended loan four or five years ago. I ask about them every so often and he always ignored the question until fairly recently he said he didn’t know what I was referring to.

btbderek, ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  3. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Years ago my wife bought a Jerry 4 disc boot box for my birthday. She never got the tape trading thing. The ethos never sank in. I lent it to kid that worked for me. He left the job and I never saw the set again. I'm very happy about that.

4. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

I remember being excited when 2/11/69 was released - I haven't listened to it in a while, though - need to rectify that. I probably will skip the Hey Jude, though.

[​IMG]

5. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

You’ve gotten lots of great advice, let me add my voice to the chorus.

You’ll definitely wants Dick’s Picks 4, 8, and 16. They’re the best three volumes possible to show the transition from the GD of the 60s to that of the early 70s. All three can be had for a “reasonable” price on eBay. Bonus is that 8 was just released on vinyl and reports are that it’s great.

You’ll want some 69, so Live Dead or the FW’69 comp should be on the list.

For post-70, I’d get Ladies and Gentleman (71), Europe Vol. 2 (72), Sunshine Daydream (72), Road Trips 4.3 which was just reissued (73), the GD movie soundtrack (74), One from the Vault (75).

For exploring the post hiatus years, I’d recommend buying both available box sets (GSTL and July 78) while they’re available at a reasonable price if you want to dive head first. Otherwise, pick up the single discs (Cornell and Red Rocks). I’d also recommend hunting down Dick’s Picks 15 used - it’s my and many others favorite post-hiatus show.

Reckoning from 1980 is a must own as well.

Once you get that and while your wallet recovers, hard drives and torrents are the next step.

Archtop, Crispy Rob, Mansley and 8 others like this.
  6. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Wheel is turning...

7. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Thinking of starting from the beginning gives me heart palpitations.

There is so much available!

But, if I have to be that guy to give a list of commercially available:

1. Get yourself Live/Dead and really listen. But go with old CD/vinyl...beware the new mix.
    2. 8.27.72 (Sunshine Daydream)
    3. 8.13.75 (One From Vault)
    4. 5.8.77 (Cornell)
    5. Reckoning (deluxe...2 CD version)... or AP vinyl.
    6. Without a Net

Report back. You will at least be able to enter any conversation accross the eras.

Oh...and for torrents....trust C.Miller sources. Charlie has got the goods.

(And yes I know that list is cliched...but we all start somewhere and those are legendary for a reason!)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

First of all, welcome!

That was the first live era that got me interested when I started listening to the band. I would recommend Live/Dead, of course, Dick's Picks Vol. 4 and Dick's Picks Vol. 16. Those were the first 1969/70 live releases in my collection and they certainly made a big impression on me.
    Fortunately, there are tons of live Dead to listen for free, so take your time, listen, and enjoy!

ianuaditis, btbderek and Doggiedogma like this.
  9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Good list, all readily available stunning live releases, particularly the first three (I like both mixes of Live/Dead, by the way).

Matthew Tate, btbderek and ianuaditis like this.
  10. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Entire post is good advice. I would only echo an earlier recommendation of the GD Movie Soundtrack to add. In part because it gives you more than one (excellent but) slightly unusual show in this batch for the '73-'76 period, and also because it's typically a huge bargain for what you get. The best ongoing deal in quality rock & roll live purchases imo is a tie between the GD Movie audio and the Tom Petty Live Anthology.

Welcome and enjoy -

Crispy Rob, Mansley, btbderek and 3 others like this.
  11. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Everybody forgets "Ladies and Gentlemen" but it is bit for bit as good of an introduction as Live/Dead, Europe 72. Cornell, etc.

12. fritz7784

fritz7784 Forum Resident

For a guide to the non-commercial recordings I'd recommend reading some of this guy's thoughts/reviews/raves (full disclosure: he's a good friend of mine):

Grateful Dead Listening Guide

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and btbderek like this.
  13. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I’ll have to give that new mix a listen again.

Matthew Tate and btbderek like this.
  14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

And we should not forget The Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack either.

15. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Not to steal btbderek's thunder but, I just started myself, having only been familiar with the Greatest Hits album previously, and Cornell has been a revelation. I really "got it' on that show. The GD movie is another early favorite.

Looking forward to more (and more and more and...)

16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Welcome to you too, then. :)

btbderek and SBegonias17 like this.
  17. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Grateful Dead is a great launching pad, agreed, and is always my top recommendation for new listeners. After that, Live/Dead, One From The Vault, and Without A Net. Without A Net has some really good takes on some of the best music the band played in their last years, some of which are my favorites of all time.

18. Jman92

Jman92 Forum Resident

I'll throw in my 2 cents and recommend also checking out anything from Spring 1989-Summer 1990, with particular emphasis on Spring 1990.

A GREAT compilation for this era is the album "Without a Net." This as an essential introduction to how good the Dead could be even into the late 80s and early 90s.

EDIT-- see scribbs post above mine--beat me to it! But seriously get Without a Net.

19. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I don't remember the last time I've written a review here. I'm getting pretty far along into 70 and 78, so much so that I'm thinking about whether I will continue on to the following year. I'll probably follow 70 into 71, and I think my plan for 78 is to follow up with the 20 shows that end the Keith and Donna era in early 79 and then decide from there.

Anyway, I'll gloss over 70 this way - the sad tale of crappy recordings of great performances continues throughout October. 10-17-70 is an AUD that apparently came to light somewhat recently; Deadbase has no info on this one, and though 10-23-70 says there was an FM broadcast, all that's on the archive are 3 AUDs.

Of the two, 10-17 is more essential for me, as it has the 'Live/Dead part 2' sequence of *Dark Star>St. Stephen>NFA>Lovelight,* with the newly added GDTRFB mixed in, and also good renditions of Casey Jones and China Cat>... to kick things off, and That's it for the Other One>Sugar Magnolia in set 1. 10-23 has the first real segue out of Truckin,' though the jam of Truckin>Other One>NFA>GDTRFB>NFA is plagued by cuts.

10-24-70 is a solid show, a soundboard to boot, some intense work from Phil on Dancin in the Streets to open up. I believe this is the first electric version of FOTD, at least that survives on tape, though it's marred by a cut. Good Lovin features some more funky playing from Phil on the instrumental portion, and he seems to be leading them back into the verse before Garcia starts up a short St. Stephen jam. This era of late 1970 is almost certainly the peak era of St. Stephen, and this version does not disappoint, and leads to an NFA>GDTRFB>NFA>Lovelight sequence that seems to be the fallback jam for this month.

10-30-70 is a tape I've had for years, it was one of the first I traded for via mail, answering an ad in the back of Dupree's Diamond News. I came to regard it less and less as I got my hands on more tapes, and once I got online I see it doesn't have a sterling reputation. But listening again I found it to be a pretty solid show. The early show was rather slight, but the late show was on par with other shows of this era, with a nice laid back vibe and good renditions of Dancin in the Streets, what I think is the first electric Big Railroad Blues, and the St. Stephen>too many letters>Lovelight suite.

Billy_Sunday, Mansley, adamos and 6 others like this.
  20. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Great minds! :winkgrin: The first albums I had when I initially got into the band circa the late '80s were Skull F**k, Terrapin Station, American Beauty, and Without A Net. I didn't even know about the tape trading until a couple years later. It seems that my recommendations above mirror my own initiation.

Billy_Sunday, btbderek, trd and 2 others like this.
  21. Jman92

Jman92 Forum Resident

My initiation came in the form of Europe '72 and Workingman's Dead albums, discovered in my fathers record collection.

Funny story-- I found Workingman's Dead first, gave it a listen and fell in love. I asked my dad if he had any more of "this stuff."
    He said "Did you find my Europe album?"
    I said "What are you talking about this is the only album that I found that says Grateful Dead on it!"

He just says "Go back and find the white album with the clown and ice cream cone on it. Listen to a track called Morning Dew first. You're welcome."

Thanks Dad!

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Correct. Discussion of this tape and some talk about October 1970 overall: Grateful Dead Guide: 10/17/70 Cleveland

23. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

This is accurate regarding the recording quality of the various shows:
    I still would recommend 10-11 over 10-10 based on performance/song selection/Dark Star wah pedal usage though.

the other point he nails is that the age of the exploratory, Alligator-esque NFA was pretty much done (until 72 anyway) once they started playing GDTRFB in the middle of it. GDTRFB is a nice tune, but I enjoyed the various thematic jams they were playing in NFA in mid 1970.

24. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

"You're welcome" lol

Now that I have kids of my own, we talk about music all the time. My oldest told me last week that he finally listened to Neutral Milk Hotel and loved it. I think I said, "I told you so." My kids are very fortunate their parents have such good taste in music. I was not so fortunate. I had to discover this stuff all on my own! :agree:

25. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Listening now. WOW!! I LOVE this era and hearing this Dark Star is making me flash-back. Just six months prior to my April 28, 1971 favorite dead show of all time is spinning me back in time. I so want a box set from 70'

Thank you for posting this.

Zafu