Please recommend small book shelf speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by razerx, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. razerx

razerx Forum Resident Thread Starter

My son left for college and we repossessed his bedroom. The room is small around 8'x 10'. I want to buy small speakers and set them up on a long desk along one wall 4 feet apart about 2 feet from the back wall. I have a low power NAD amp around 25 watts per channel. I haven't bought speakers in 20 years and don't know what is good now days. Thanks for your help.

The budget is around $1000 for the pair.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  2. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

I think if you check out offerings from Wharfedale, Elac and Kef, you might find something you like in your budget. All 3 make quality bookshelf sized speakers.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  3. Helom

Helom Forum member

Your best bet is to arrange some demos at local dealers. Bring your amp and familiar music.

4. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Best sound for cost are Wharfedale. For a laid back sound, the Wharfedale Denten is great or a brighter without any tweeter shrill sound use Wharfedale 225s. These speakers have a refined sound and sound better than more expensive speakers to $1K. Your 25 watts in a small room has plenty of power for the 86-88dB speaker sensitivity.

bhazen likes this.
  5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Do you listen to music loudly? If so, 25w might be a hurdle. In that instance, I'd recommend highly efficient speakers from Klipsch. Otherwise, you run the risk of getting to the max volume and craving more.

6. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I love my Wharfedale Denton speakers - I mean looooove 'em. Very balanced and smooth but still plenty of detail and excitement. Also a good amount of bass for such a small speaker. They do have rear ports so their may be speaker placement issues against a wall.

Some other possibilities in the sub-$1k department: used B&W 805s (probably the oldest Matrix version) or used KEF LS50s.

7. timind

timind phorum rezident

Looking at your profile, you'll want something with good resolution. I'd recommend a used pair of the KEF LS50s which are easy to find at your price point. The 25 watts should be plenty in the small room.

mike catucci and Echoes Myron like this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The problem is they're not very efficient. Stereophile measured them at 84.5db. I'd suspect the 25w wouldn't be enough, though I could be wrong.

mike catucci likes this.
  9. timind

timind phorum rezident

I've driven mine with a 30 watt Cairn 4808A as well as a 2 watt Bottlehead S.E.X. amp in my small room. The Cairn amp would go as loud as I wanted without any strain in my small room. Although I never really pushed the LS50s with the 2 watt amp, nor did I listen to anything that needed to be loud to be enjoyed, they actually sounded wonderful with acoustic music; great vocals.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  10. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Lots of options in that price range and there is some good advice above - especially the listening demo part. When I had an office outside my home I had a NAD receiver (7155) and had a pair of PSB Alpha B1's running and it sounded very nice IMHO. The B1's are well within your budget and would leave you some $$$ for media purchases :). Enjoy your new listening space !!!

paulieb00 likes this.
  11. Helom

Helom Forum member

That's quite a small space and it will add a couple db of room gain. That's also RMS power, so it can output more for dynamic swings. I believe NAD underrates the output by a few watts as well. It will work as long as the amp can handle some low impedance.

Strat-Mangler and timind like this.
  12. Old Audiophool

Old Audiophool Forum Resident

Just my 2cents, I built these Seas Loki MKII Coaxial Kit Parts Only - Each with the pre-built boxes and haven't regretted it. They sound awesome on 27" stands and perform well above the cost. It was a very easy built and well worth the time.

Helom and 33na3rd like this.
  13. Helom

Helom Forum member

Nice!

14. matteos

matteos Stereotype

Easy. Look for some used KEF LS50s.

15. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

second and third on the Wharfedale's - I have the new 225s and for $450 or so, great deal! You can also check on ebay for Bowers & Wilkins CM series speakers. They are a steal now since they came out with a replacement line recently. I have the CM6 S2s, ran me $2500 plus the stands at $500. I think you can get those on ebay now for just over a grand or so. Or get the CM5s. Great speakers and better than my Wharfedales, but I use the Wharfs at our lake house. Bowers Wilkins CM5 S2 Pair | eBay

16. trip1

trip1 Forum Resident

Here's a recommendation off the beaten path.
    Golden Ear Aon 2
    They have it all treble easy on the ears and very good bass, not rear ported.
    Plenty of reviews online on these speakers.

17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Front or rear-ported?

18. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

My Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's are really sounding nice, some break in still to be had I think. I'd highly suggest these, however your budget is a bit larger, there may be some better options for you. Try to listen to as many as you can, just because you have more to spend doesn't mean you have to spend it all.

19. matteos

matteos Stereotype

Double wattage adds 3 decibels.

1 watts for 84.5 DB
    2 Watts for 87.5
    4 Watts for 90.5
    8 Watts for 93.5
    16 Watts for 96.5
    25 watts is a little under 98db.

I think 97 db is about as loud as a power mower, so unless you're listening that loud you've got headroom for the louder passages in the music.

Strat-Mangler and clercqie like this.
  20. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

My Wharfedale 225s are BOTTOM ported. I got them specifically because I had to be relatively close to a wall so they wouldn't stand too far into the room.

21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

You're on the ground floor then. ;)

22. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

I think those LS50s require a lot more juice to really bloom.

23. knotley

knotley Senior Member

I am very happy with PSB Alpha B1 as my secondary room speakers. - in fact the whole Alpha PSB line is great value for money

paulieb00 likes this.
  24. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Not to shill for a dealer, but Chicago's Music Direct sells the aforementioned Dentons, as well as other Wharfedales, including the new 11.1 and 11.2. They have a 60-day satisfaction period and can probably offer some insight on what might work well in your room.

You might also peek at the Elac speakers there. They have the new B6.2 in the cheaper line, would should offer pretty prodigious bass in that space (too prodigious?). The step-up UB5 is a compact 3-way in regular or "slim" cabinets. Tons of reviews out there.

25. razerx

razerx Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you for all the recommendations. I have been a headphone user for 18 years since my toddler couldn’t resist sticking his fingers into the woofers! Maybe turntable is next who knows!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.