Gene Clark Solo Albums-album by album & *now* track by track on p. 23*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Jan 23, 2018.

1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

That was the genius of Gene...I remember Hillman saying that Gene was so far above the rest of the Byrds in lyric craft. So true...all of Gene's life he was ahead of his time.

D.B., Hep Alien, jricc and 2 others like this.
  2. lemonade kid

I agree...with everything!

Hep Alien, indigo_m and AlienRendel like this.
  3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Brilliant, brilliant song. It's always in my Clark top five, and sometimes sits at number one. And it's even more poignant to know that it's straight-up autobiographical, written about the day he came home and found out his wife had left him. Charlie Rich should have covered this song.

D.B., Hep Alien, lemonade kid and 7 others like this.
  4. lemonade kid

Yes. Gene was always a brilliant craftsman, while wearing his heart on his sleeve with every song.

His "cover" of his own "Kansas City Southern" is a brilliant hard rocker. I love this version best from "Two Sides"...!
    Great guitar break too.

D.B., Hep Alien and indigo_m like this.
  5. lemonade kid

This is a must have--off topic but so cool

[​IMG]

Hep Alien, zobalob and indigo_m like this.
  6. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

The care and professionalism of the High Moon reissue is pretty apparent to me, good work!! :tiphat:

Chris M, Hep Alien, davenav and 4 others like this.
  7. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

I always felt Two Sides would have been a stronger album if they had included "Daylight Line" and "What is Meant Will Be" in place of "Mary Lou" and "In The Pines". The other songs are all gorgeous. My personal favorite is "Silent Crusade". I think that one is especially very autobiographical. I always thought of this album as Gene's Blood on the Tracks. Lots of really good, reflective deep songs on there that came out of what was a very painful period for him. The High Moon reissue is gorgeous. I usually prefer vinyl, but the CD of this album is stellar. I did a brief questionnaire with James Talley who wrote the beautiful "Give My Love To My Marie" for the Echoes newsletter. He had some nice words to say about Gene:

May 5, 2017 no. 2

This track is from the bonus live tracks with the Silverados. Heartbreakingly beautiful:

D.B., Hep Alien, davenav and 5 others like this.
  8. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

When I first heard it I thought it was an old country song! I was surprised that Gene wrote it (and then again I wasn't surprised that he wrote it!)

9. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

A beautiful song - and, whoever said it was poorly recorded, you’re wrong!

D.B., lemonade kid, indigo_m and 2 others like this.
  10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

That's one where I have to disagree with you. I don't think the new arrangement works at all, and that type of heavier rock is well outside Gene's area of strength. It's puzzling to me that he stuck this remake on there when he had better new songs available.

Hep Alien, zobalob, davenav and 2 others like this.
  11. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I'm with you.

Hep Alien and davenav like this.
  12. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

While I agree with you about this particular song, I don’t think heavier stuff was necessarily outside Gene’s bailiwick. His performance on the 3 Byrds Land version of ‘7th Avenue Train’/‘Hula Mula Man’ was both commanding and convincing. That track smokes.

The reason for the inclusion of ‘Kansas City Southern’ is probably a little more practical than one might think: it was a standby in the Silverados’ repertoire (and their swingin’ interpretation of it worked, IMO). My guess is that Gene wanted to re-record/reintroduce the song—with the Silverados’ sound in mind— and so it was slated for inclusion on the album. When Tommy turfed the Silverados after one or two sessions in favour of studio pros, he had the temerity to ask Duke Bardwell and Roger White to hang around long enough to assist their replacements in learning the material.

Hep Alien, zobalob, davenav and 3 others like this.
  13. cedarbrew

cedarbrew Forum Resident

I think Hillman's a bit underappreciated also. His voice on his solo album Morning Sky is like melting butter.

14. lemonade kid

Hillman solo is amazing, and has a following but definitely underrated. His work on Manassas is wonderful. AND Flying Burritos!

15. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

This is a bit off topic, but does anyone have any misheard Gene Clark lyrics they want to share? I'm compiling a list for April Fool's Day! :doh::p:cop:
    Here are a couple that I have:
    "You're just a bag of bones" Gypsy Rider
    "Always on staircases" She Don't Care About Time

Hep Alien, 905, zobalob and 2 others like this.
  16. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

:laugh:

zobalob and indigo_m like this.
  17. lemonade kid

I love this a bit harder rocker too.

I have an outtake that rocks it even harder. Love thos old time rocker.

18. lemonade kid

and this one...Carry On. One of my faves. A mellow rocker.

19. lemonade kid

Covered so far...

1- Gene Clark with The Gosdin Bros 1967
    2-Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark 1968
    3-Through The Morning Through The Night 1969
    4-White Light 1971
    5-Roadmaster 1972
    6-No Other 19747-Two Sides To Every Story 1977

NOW:
    8-McGuinn Clark Hillman

To be covered still...
    9-So Rebellious A Lover 1987
    10-Firebyrd 1987
    11-Silhouetted In Light 1992

[​IMG]

AllMusic Review by William Ruhlmann

Although Roger McGuinn, Gene Clark, and Chris Hillman were founding members of the Byrds, when they reunited as a trio at the end of the 1970s they seemed determined to create a sound that did not remind listeners of the earlier group. Though their music was still mainstream pop/rock with folk antecedents, it sounded like contemporary '70s studio rock, even to the point of including a song with a disco arrangement, "Release Me Girl." ...

McGuinn, Clark & Hillman - McGuinn, Clark & Hillman, Roger McGuinn, Gene Clark, Chris Hillman | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

So do you agree? What do you like or dislike 0n MCH?

indigo_m likes this.
  20. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

I love this one:

21. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

And this one is so pretty:

22. lemonade kid

I personally like the live videos better. More immediate and pleasing. No so over produced.
    Of course I'll watch anything with Gene rocking on guitar. Sweet!

Don't You Write Her Off...this seemed like a pretty big hit on underground FM.

jricc, Hep Alien, zobalob and 2 others like this.
  23. lemonade kid

Covering this starting today for a while:

Little Mama

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hep Alien and indigo_m like this.
  24. lemonade kid

I also think Hillman is one of the most underrated bass players. Quite often stunning.

Man at C&A, Hep Alien and indigo_m like this.
  25. lemonade kid

This is an amazing live soundboard from their 1978 tour in Australia....love this so much more than than the studio LP.

And they play a little the Manassas, Hillman/Stills song: It Doesn't Matter. Sweet