Happy mistakes/accidents on film and TV.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Strat-Mangler, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

I can think of the tomahawk toss hitting the outline of a man in the crotch on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

Also Leonardo DiCaprio's hand bleeding in Django Unchained where he kept acting.

The birthday cake being on fire during Bilbo's speech in The Fellowship of the Ring.

Same movie, Gandalf hitting his head on the beam after he turns around in the hobbit house. Kept acting through it.

Any others?

SandAndGlass and GodShifter like this.
  2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Unhappy accidents...Kurt Russell destroying a priceless Martin guitar in the Hateful Eight by mistake as they didn't swap it over.

3. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

Edward James Olmos did the same thing to a antique sailing ship model on an episode of Battlestar Galactica.

Jim B. and Strat-Mangler like this.
  4. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Steve Martin falling over a couch in "Housesitter" (1992)

At roughly 3:08:

hi_watt, Grawlix, enro99 and 6 others like this.
  5. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

The cat in the opening scenes of "The Godfather". Coppola had found the cat on the lot, and for the take, he gave it to Brando without saying much. The cat got its '15 minutes' and it made for a great moment.

6. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

In Seinfeld, Kramer and Newman escape the shotgun of a farmer when the farmer's daughter meant to yell out "Goodbye, Newman". Instead, she mistakenly yells out "Goodbye, Norman". They kept the "Norman" take in the final cut.

fr in sc, hi_watt, Thwacko and 2 others like this.
  7. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

As the story goes, Frank Silva, a set dresser on Twin Peaks, accidentally got caught in a shot. Instead of reshooting it, it inspired director David Lynch and sent the production down that path with BOB and all that came with it.

8. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

For a "close shave" that was unintended, but which worked beautifully in the final film:
    In "Tora, Tora, Tora" one of the US fighter planes is rolling along and goes out of control when exploding; the stunt men are literally running for their lives as the pieces of the plane come towards them.
    If there ever was a scene that shows how effective real stunt work and physical objects are, surely this is it.

9. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Richard Sanders, who played Les Nessman on WKRP In Cincinnati cut his head on a stage light while preparing to shoot the pilot for the show, which required a bandage. The pilot was shot with the bandage, but the character's injury was never explained.

Sanders suggested that Les appear in every episode with a different injury, and it became a part of the character.

[​IMG]

10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I watched that a few weeks ago and that scene was so scary I assumed they had used some real footage somehow, as it looked so real. I only discovered it was an accident when I read about the film on wiki. They are so close to being dead!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

For years I thought that was newsreel footage. Truly frightening.

12. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

theres a Columbo when Columbo is walking down a sharp decline and suddenly basically falls out of control hitting the ground hard, definitely him and not a body double and no way was it planned, the kept the camera going and he stays in character

Grawlix, Simon A and MRamble like this.
  13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

John Ritter's wardrobe malfunction

MRamble and EVOLVIST like this.
  14. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

On Saturday Night Live, Buck Henry was once accidentally cut by John Belushi in one of the samurai sketches.

Buck later appeared on the show bandaged up, and later on, all the cast members were similarly bandaged.

It was a clever way to show solidarity and get a laugh at the same time.

hi_watt, Jarleboy, Simon A and 4 others like this.
  15. the pope ondine

the aforementioned columbo falling, everything is on youtube

hi_watt, Grawlix, Simon A and 5 others like this.
  16. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

Scooter mishap with Charles Martin Smith in American Graffiti

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Shallow Hal...Gweneth spread eagle with no undies (total nude crotch shot!) as she falls backwards after breaking her chair...by the time she hits the floor she has undies on!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

utterly heartbreaking if true...I read a few contradictory explanations...but, believe it or not Martin could have repaired it or maybe they did...

back in 1972 I took a tour of the Martin factory...on display they had a D-45 that was originally in pieces and they put her back together! it was incredible work!

Drifter likes this.
  19. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

20. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

The end of the Breaking Bad episode "Ozymandias." When Walt is holding Holly in the changing room, she starts crying, "momma," because the child actress saw her real mother off camera, and Cranston, being the ultimate pro, completely improvised his reaction on the fly.

enro99, Jim Pattison and Lownote30 like this.
  21. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

The dark, gritty look of the shootout in Taxi Driver was only made to look like that to make the blood less visible, thereby satisfying the censors and bringing the rating from an NC-17 down to an R rating.

22. the pope ondine

The Classic Malcom McDowell film "If" alternated between color and black and white film because the director ran out of money at one point and had to shoot in black and white

23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I always suspected that this one from The Honeymooners was an ad lib. I just looked it up on IMDB, and sure enough it is. Gotta love live television!

When Ralph and Norton are rehearsing for their commercial, a piece of the Handy Housewife Helper flies off and on to the floor, practically off camera. Gleason being the genius he was, picked up the broken piece and ad libbed the line "maybe we outta say something about spear-fishing".

"The Honeymooners" Better Living Through TV (TV Episode 1955) - Goofs - IMDb

24. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I think it's true...Martin Responds to “Hateful Eight” Destruction of Antique Six String

Further, Boak says that Martin did not offer a replacement, as stated in the SSNInsider.com. "As a result of the incident, the company will no longer loan guitars to movies under any circumstances,” Boak says.

To add insult to injury, Boak says the guitar was insured for its purchase price, which doesn’t reflect its value as an irreplaceable museum artifact. Boak also says that Martin requested that the pieces be returned for a possible restoration, not for inclusion in the Martin Museum as stated in SSNInsider.com. “Upon inspection of the pieces, we realized that the guitar was beyond fixing,” Boak said. “It’s destroyed.”

25. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

This is legendary in the UK, elephant excrement and a stiff upper lip anyone:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.