Critics be damned!!! I love the album anyway...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by markl, Jun 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sfp

sfp Forum Resident

The Rolling Stones Their Satanic majesties Request

There's been a certain amount of revisionism here, but nowhere near enough.

2. Joe N

Joe N Forum Resident

Right on about "Dream of Life". That should have gotten a lot more kudos (and sales) than it did. It was more commercial and pop sounding than her other stuff, before and after, but that doesn't mean the songs aren't great.

3. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Rolling Stones: Black and Blue.

I know USA critics and USA people don't like it. I 'LOVE' it. My favorite Stones album for sure. Reggie style 'international' beach music, that's what it is to me. Very kick back, hot, relaxed, and most excellent. Very 'international' sounding. Maybe that's why USA critics didn't like it, as well as most Americans. It's not very domestic USA sounding.

--

Roger Waters: Radio Kaos

Excellent 'on the freeway/interstate' driving music. Always listen to it doing 75-80.

4. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

:righton: I forgot about that! One of my favourite Tull albums!

5. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

I think I'll join the "passion play" gang but the question would've been much easier had it been asked the other way around:winkgrin:

6. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Byrdmaniax - I didn't read anything about it. It was my third Byrds album, and remains my favorite - okay, maybe tied with Notorious. I've never understood why it was panned, except it is so different sounding.

7. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

My favorite Guess Who album. It was just beautifully re-mastered.

Anyone here a fan of Tomita? I first heard Snowflakes are Dancing on WFMT radio's "Worst of the Year" countdown. I ran out to get it. I've liked every Tomita record, but I still wonder what it is that so turned off the critics. It also turned me on to Debussy's music.

8. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Ok, my bad - i always believed that it was panned by the critics, but actually it wasn't. It got somewhat mixed reviews, but still mostly positive.

Robert Christgau: "If this is their worst--which it is, I think--they must be, er, the world's greatest rock and roll band."

9. Distortions

Distortions Forum Resident

Just about any progressive rock LP.

10. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

As the title says - records that were derided upon release and have never really been subject to critical revisionism (except among a die-hard handful of weirdos :))

Me first: KISS "The Elder" love everything about it... except it's too short! Would love it to be a double LP. In my Top 5 KISS records

11. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

The Elder is my favorite Kiss album (with Destroyer, which got mixed reviews from fans and critics, coming in a close second). I thought the original vinyl release of The Elder was flawed by the record company's resequencing in an attempt to front-load the album with more commercial material. I like it much better on CD with the proper sequencing restored.

12. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Most of the original lineup Chicago albums... Rolling Stone magazine was fairly dismissive.

eschorama, limoges, Lonecat and 6 others like this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The completely great Hot Space by Queen.

14. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

Good topic! I'll offer Dylan and the Dead. I just saw a list of "Dead albums ranked" and this was on the bottom and termed 'awful.' Yet, I love it.

I've also always been a huge fan of Dylan Budokan and Knocked Out Loaded. Both are often termed 'Dylan Fails'.

Oh, and I just picked up Gene Vincent's 'comeback' album: The Bop They Couldn't Stop. Gene Vincent is clearly a talented singer and made an album that was more 60's folk than 50's rockabilly, so of course people hate it.

I really like when artists mix it up and offer something unexpected and/or relaxed. Most artists take their personas too seriously, IMO.

15. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Empire Burlesque just might be my favourite Bob Dylan album.

16. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

1. Genuine Imitation Life Gazette - 4 Seasons. Critics mercilessly lambasted this highly experimental concept album and it was a commercial dud. I think it's one of the best and boldest things they ever did.
    2. Their Satanic Majesties Request - Rolling Stones. All the critics hated this one at first. Even the Stones had nothing good to say about it. I think it's a fantastic album.
    3. The Beat Goes On - Vanilla Fudge. One of the most hated albums in popular music history. Even the Fudge hate it. It has its flaws, and of course it was producer Shadow Morton's idea, but I've always loved it. I thought the band made a bold step in not trying to clone their debut album. "Voices In Time" is a chilling and innovative sound collage that came out months before the Beatles' "Revolution 9." The album is in a class by itself. I've never heard another album quite like it, before or since.
    4. Smiley Smile - Beach Boys. Widely derided as a pale remnant of what remained of the aborted Smile. It threw me for a loop the first time I heard it, but that's what it was supposed to do. It didn't take it long to grow on me. I love it for its quirky charm, and it was one of the weirdest and most experimental albums of 1967. And in that highly experimental year, no one can say that was easy to pull off.
    5. Self Portrait - Bob Dylan. Loved it from Day 1.

17. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Dog Eat Dog by Joni Mitchell
    my favorite JM album

18. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

I second this, love that record. Imagine if they had pulled off: a massively successful crossover album like Bowie did with Let’s Dance. Then they would’ve been really huge!

19. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Aerosmith's Done With Mirrors

20. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Led Zeppelin I. At least going by the Rolling Stone review.

Also, a second vote for Done With Mirrors, the last true Aerosmith record.

21. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

22. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

For me, it's Marshall Crenshaw's FIELD DAY. Robert Christgau loved it as much as I did -- scoring it a rare "A+" -- but everyone else seemed cool to the big, booming Steve Lilywhite production. I thought the album would make him a star, or at least sneak a single onto radio, but it remains in the shadow of the (equally fantastic) debut which has enjoyed multiple reissues.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  23. Jethro Tull's A Passion Play.
    The Beatles, Beatles For Sale
    Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother
    Fairport Convention's Babbacombe Lee
    Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy

None were critical darlings, but I like each album quite a lot.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  24. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Teenage Fanclub - "Thirteen"

DocShipe, YardByrd, DPK and 2 others like this.
  25. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

nstza, agundy and Folknik like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.