Critics be damned!!! I love the album anyway...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by markl, Jun 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

Thread titles need to be created with future searches in mind! Still, it's a topic that can always get good mileage in these parts, I bet.

Also, to justify this thought, I offer another much hated album: Lulu by Lou Reed with Metallica. I think Lou Reed's brilliance is often subverting the critics by giving them something easy to criticize, but really imaginitive if you give it the right look. Metal Machine Music made this Wikipedia list. Sure, it's hard to 'get into', but it is not 'the worst' of all music. List of music considered the worst - Wikipedia

YardByrd and Terrapin Station like this.
  2. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Smashing Pumpkins - Machina

3. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Smashing Pumpkins...adore
    Bush....razor blade suitcase
    Weezer...Pinkerton
    Oasis.....standing on the shoulder of giants

4. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Lulu - Lou & Metallica

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They were really huge. The US missed out! Too busy listening to Bon Jovi, Whitesnake and Foreigner!

Changingman and Saul Pimon like this.
  6. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

It's great because most of it doesn't sound like Queen. (I kid... partially ;))

Saul Pimon and Man at C&A like this.
  7. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

I love this:
    [​IMG]

And this:
    [​IMG]

I believe most people who like these groups hate (well, dislike) these albums.

8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Go2. It's actually better than Skylarking. :p

Frosst, nsmith1002, Galactus2 and 3 others like this.
  9. Black Crowes - Lions

10. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

Critically lambasted? Maybe in a world where there are only Beatle records. It is lauded as a very good record nonetheless- middle of the pack Beatles stuff still (rightly) gets massive critical acclaim and no revisionism necessary.

JDeanB likes this.
  11. Helter Skelter

12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I love Queen and all my fave Hot Space tracks are mostly the ones that don't sound like Queen. Put Out The Fire and Life Is Real are my two least favourites and the two most Queen sounding tracks.

I love Wild Life too.

Runicen and Michael Rose like this.
  13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Elvis ~ Fun in Acapulco. Deserved to be #1. One of the King's best LPs.

14. Helter Skelter

Cool Cat has the best groove. Love that track. One of my favourite Queen songs.

Runicen, ivan_wemple and Man at C&A like this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've never got the dislike for Thirteen. I loved it from day of release and it has some great songs. Especially on the first side. I miss my vinyl copy I stupidly sold when I got the CD with a radio session added.

ramdom and Lightworker like this.
  16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Great stuff. John Deacon playing all guitars. I prefer it on the LP without Bowie. The sparse sound works on it.

johnsiddique and Helter Skelter like this.
  17. Helter Skelter

Completely agree.
    It's kinda funny how much they hate that album, especially Taylor. It's like, you made The Cosmos Rocks for ****s sake and yet you wanna trash Hot Space.

Runicen, Man at C&A and Mylene like this.
  18. "Critically lambasted" is probably not accurate -I couldn't find any contemporary reviews for it, but it generally ranks at or near the bottom of most polls, like this one: Every Beatles Album Ranked from Worst to Best

19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Roger Taylor's Fun It from Jazz sounds like a precursor for Hot Space. He's also dismissed that as a piece of ****!

The Cosmos Rocks was unbelievably horrible!

20. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Peter Gabriel - UP

21. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Rolling Stone Record Guide gave one star to the Dictators debut (or was that zero stars?!) as well as Jumpin' In The Night and Now by the Flamin' Groovies. Love all of them.

Linus and YardByrd like this.
  22. Helter Skelter

That entire Queen + Paul Rodgers collaboration was a disaster. They were just a poor fit.
    That Return Of The Champions live album is one of the worst things ever made.

23. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

The aforementioned Hot Space. It's a great rock record that takes a few electronic turns. People act like Queen made a New Order album.

The Who - Face Dances and It's Hard. I've never seen these being "reappraised" anywhere, and only the most diehard of the diehard seem to have opinions on them. I think they're great. To me, they're The Who equivalent of Beatles For Sale, but they're treated like Metal Machine Music.

The Who - Who's Last. I've recently picked this up and gave it a few earnest spins. I really don't get what the problem is.

Rolling Stones - Still Life. Similar to Who's Last. Sounds like lean and mean live Stones to me. I don't hear "slick" or "uninspired."

Guided By Voices - Do The Collapse. Robert Pollard goes into an actual (famous) recording studio with an experienced producer, and the critics dragged him through the mud for it. I don't get it. Great record with some great songs.

24. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Not sure it was critically panned or lambasted but Pearl Jam by Pearl Jam is hated by most fans. I think it is by far the best work they have done and is far more politically and socially relevant than any work before it.

25. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Only Rolling Stone:cheers:

Galactus2 and Duke Fame like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.