new LP's worth buying at Barnes and Noble?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by draganm, Mar 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. draganm

draganm Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know there is no definitive answer to this , new LP's are a crap-shoot unless it's from Chesky, Analoge Productions, and places like that, but are ALL the LP's at B&N something copied off a cheap digital master?

What have you bought there that was good, bad, or maybe even very good? They have Crosby Stills, Nash, and Young Deja-vu for $14. , alternately A sealed Classic Records 2005 pressing can be had for $450. from Acoustic Sounds, which is nuts.

B&N also had Marvin Gaye's Whats Going On For $17.

so has anyone tried the LP's at B&N?

2. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Except for their exclusives, I’d presume that they’re the same LP’s that you can purchase elsewhere.

3. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

Keep in mind a *lot* of third parties sell through B&N just as they do through Amazon. That $450 record from Acoustic Sounds, as you say, is an example. If the LP sells, the seller will pay a percentage to B&N, which is another reason why the price is at $450. Best to try to track down third party sellers directly, if at all possible, rather than going through B&N or Amazon.

4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I don't understand the question. They sell the same lps everybody else does.

dkmonroe likes this.
  5. draganm

ok, but if I type in MArvin Gay at Elusive disc (which I re-discovered from a thread here ), I get 3 different LP versions, B&N doesn't tell you anything, even the label is often left-out.
    Looking at the 3 I just found tonight at Elusive, I know the " vinyl lovers" is best avoided, the Motown is a an odd 10", so The Universal must be the one to get?
    Or, just skip B&N altogether? Kind of a shame as they are really close to my work and have very large vinyl section by today's standards.

6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Just go to the B&N site, find a title that you're interested in, and click "View All Available Formats and Editions." There will be a separate tab for each format. I currently see three different LP versions of What's Going On in stock at B&N.com. Labels are Motown, Universal Import, and Vinyl Lovers.

And yes, the LP's at B&N are the same that you can get at any other retailer. I buy from B&N frequently and their service is excellent. Every time I've had a problem with an LP I've been able to exchange for another copy hassle-free.

7. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Well, when B&N sold the clear vinyl David Bowie LP, that was unique.

8. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I remain confused. Are you telling me if you went to your nearby B&N and held whatever Marvin Gaye record they had in stock in your hands, you’d be unable to tell which version it was? Or are you saying you don’t have the time or inclination to browse a record store unless you know exactly what you’re going to find? Or. . . :confused:

9. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

They occasionally commission runs of colored vinyl from current, or recent, masterings, like Newbury Comics. My copy of Analog Spark's mastering of the first Cranberries album is the translucent red vinyl "exclusive" version from B&N.

black sheriff and 12" 45rpm like this.
  10. draganm

I was there, I picked it up, had no idea what the label was and I don't think it was even shown. Probably a "vinyl lovers" which is one to avoid.
    Really it doesn't matter, I've decided I really like Elusive disc. Will buy there from now on and have about a dozen so far I really want. about $300. , ouch

11. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

Interesting question. I often visit B&N and wonder what is AAA...

12. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

B&N's recent exclusive James Taylor's "Sweet Baby James" was the much sought after, out of print and hard to find Hoffman remaster.
    A thing of beauty that I got at B&N for around 20 bucks instead of the 100+ that it goes for on the resale market.

If you see something you like do the research because no it's not always the same thing everyone else is selling.

13. tjannace

tjannace Well-Known Member

is it really nice? i know the mastering is great but i heard complaints with the pressing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.