Critics be damned!!! I love the album anyway...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by markl, Jun 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

Your attitude of 'one way is the right way' should serve as a cautionary tale.

I said that "recorded music need not be assessed." I didn't say shouldn't or that I don't. Assessment is an innate human thought process. The truly enlightened (think Guru if you will) learn to quiet their assessment/judgement processes in order to see reality as unadorned by pettiness as possible. Take a lesson.

I stand by my conclusion that if you like it, listen to it. If not, don't.

On Topic: Lord Sutch, Lord Sutch and Heavy Friends

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  2. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I saw Springsteen in an outdoor stadium once. He had the crowd so excited they were stomping their feet and cheering and clapping. Nothing unusal about that, but imagine 70,000 people stomping their feet in unison. The concrete was swaying so hard I thought the stadium was going to fall down around our ears. I think of that day when I listen to WRECKING BALL. This album is a foot-stomping hip-shaking earth-moving rocker. The songwriting is beautiful and spirited, the sentiment is passionate and noble, the themes are bloody and desperately fought, the music is inventive and acutely melodious, the rhythm section sweep down like a fleet of helicopters firing machine guns, and Springsteen's vocals are like the declarations of God. True, there's three, maybe four oddities about the album, but some people make too much out of them. They're a minor thing underneath the overall.

You don't have to crank the volume up until the walls vibrate to feel the energy here, but it helps. The sound is big enough to fill the air across a vast distance. WRECKING BALL is as big as all outdoors. It rocks. It rolls. It slams. It kicks ass. Then it comes around again to slap you out of your complacency.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2018
  3. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

It's also got that mid-90s problem of being too long, trying to fill up the whole CD. I personally don't like 'Fade Away', 'Top Man', 'Mr. Robinson's Quango', 'Globe Alone', and 'Entertain Me', with a few of those sounding like filler to me (not awful, just boring to sit through).

But I do think overall it's a great album. 'Country House' and 'Charmless Man' are still incredibly catchy, and it has 'The Universal' on it so you can't write it off completely.

Mylene likes this.
  4. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

The idea that anyone could lambast this album beggars belief for me. If Oldfield in general isn't for you, fair enough, but if you dig what he does, this is about as prime a slice as you can get. Considering the critics ate up Tubular Bells, giving Hergest Ridge a pass is mind boggling...

I'd definitely say that Ian Anderson nailed this sound better in the solo album that preceded Under Wraps, by title of Walk Into Light, but at the same time, UW does not deserve its reputation. Plenty of good songs on this one.

Pancat likes this.
  5. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Regarding Oldfield, I think it was a case of the typical fickleness of UK music critics who were always ready to pull down yesterday's heroes. They had lauded his debut to the heavens but were probably pissed that it became so popular and, therefore, "uncool" . Add to the mix Mike's reluctance to play ball with said journalists and he was ripe for a slating as far as the UK music press was concerned.

Gethan Wall and Runicen like this.
  6. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

7. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

I love that album. I still play it but haven't done likewise for the overhyped What's The Story... for years.

I agree there's some filler, but Parklife wasn't blameless in that respect (Far Out, the Debt Collector). I still love Globe Alone...He Thought of Cars...and Ken Livingstone's nasal delivery on Ernold Same. Even if the "shouting drunk" intro is a rip off of Madness' "In the Middle of the Night" :winkgrin:

The review in Q said "on the evidence of the two records, Blur are better". With hindsight, absolutely right.

popscene and PhilipB like this.
  8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Neil Young - Landing on Water
    Metallica - St. Anger
    Joe Pesci - Vincent Laguardia Gambini Sings Just For You
    KISS - Music from The Elder
    The Beach Boys - M.I.U.
    Mike Love - Unleash The Love
    Captain Beefheart - Blue Jeans and Moonbeams
    Neil Young - Fork in the Road
    Neil Young - Trans
    U2- Pop (the only album of theirs I like)
    Elvis Presley - Harum Scarum
    Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
    Elton John - Blue Moves
    Billy Joel - Streetlife Serenade

Terrapin Station and davesmoked like this.
  9. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

I don't know if these albums were lambasted by music critics, but I remember the general consensus with radio DJ's and/or music fans wasn't all that positive. But I liked them.

Bachman-Turner Overdrive -- Four Wheel Drive

Black Sabbath -- Never Say Die

Aerosmith -- Done With Mirrors

Metallica -- Load

I'll add The Stones' Their Satanic Majesties Request, but that's only more recent for me due to an alternative and resequenced track listing. I always thought the album version was "just ok".

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Terrapin Station likes this.
  10. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I love All Shook Down!
    Those two Ramones records also!

bvb1123 likes this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im fond of it also. Mind sharing what it is that you like about it?

Dog Gone likes this.
  12. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I dig it too!

Crimson jon likes this.
  13. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Wings - Back to the Egg

14. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

I read a lot of old record reviews, especially RS and Stereo Review. Some absolutely wonderful albums that were slaughtered by the critics,

Especially Moby Grape's 2nd album "Wow", which Rolling Stone called the worst 2nd album they had ever heard (!!). Not only is it not terrible, it is a really great album (well, the non-Jam section anyway)

Stephen Stills first S/T album
    James Taylor, "Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon"
    Beatles, "Magical Mystery Tour" didn't get any good reviews at the time
    Beach Boys, "Smiley Smile", "Carl and the Passions So Tough"
    Rolling Stones, "Exile on Main St." (my favorite Stones album, their most rocking album ever in my opinion)
    CSNY, "Deja Vu"
    Any 70's album from Barry Manilow, especially his 2nd album "Barry Manilow II"

From the 80's, U2, "the Unforgettable Fire"
    Til Tuesday "Voices Carry" album was criticized by SR for having flat, thin vocals, just listen to this soaring performance by Aimee Mann and see if you disagree,

15. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

16. Schmidlapper

Schmidlapper Forum Resident

Little Feat, Down on the Farm is often poo pooed, but I like it a lot.

17. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

Oh I'm definitely not saying Parklife is perfect! It suffers from the same thing of being too long and has some throwaways.

The problem with me saying "oh, it would have been better if it didn't have these songs" as your post shows is that the songs I don't care for someone else will love. So you can't really change it after all these years, you just have to put up with it being uneven. At least we can all create our own playlists now!

18. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

I like this album a lot, but was it lambasted? I'm in the State, GE were a minor factor here of course. Looking at RateYourMusic, it gets decent reviews compared to other albums by GE. Some Who influence on this one!

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

There are a bunch of albums in this thread that weren't actually "critically lambasted".

I honestly don't think any Gabriel albums were "critically lambasted". As you noted, "Up" was received with some mild disappointment given how long it took to arrive, but it wasn't "lambasted".

Wiki claims "Up" got "generally favorable" reviews, and that gibes with my memories...

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think many - most? - of the posts here look at albums through a retrospective lens. A lot of these albums got good reviews when released but have been seen less charitably as the years passed.

One that actually qualifies:

McCartney: "Ram".

That album got generally poor reviews in 1971 - it's only been viewed as a classic as the years have passed...

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  21. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

+1

YardByrd likes this.
  22. jasn

jasn Forum Resident

I was going by (incorrect) the Allmusic review JZ. It's not kind...

Allmusic review of "To the Hilt"

23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Lou Reed - Sally Can't Dance. Fantastic funky, sleazy NYC rock.

24. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Laugh if you will.
    But I was 12 and the nostalgia is strong.

25. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I love this album, particularly Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast. I was honestly surprised to discover via the internet that it had a poor reputation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.