New Prog Rock Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, May 7, 2017.

1. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

The Great Silent, by ENINE (progressive rock, full-length, released February 15, 2018, Vladimir, Russia)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: The Curse of Dr. Caligari

2. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

The Swan Song, by Servants of Science
    British collective with a sound that somehow reminded me of both 80s new wave / shoegazer acts, Pink Floyd and Radiohead. Liked this so much after several spins that I have ordered the cd:

[​IMG]

carlwm likes this.
  3. ChrisEfterklang

No idea wether it has been posted here already but Lifesigns' second album Cardington was my favourite prog release of 2017. The music has something of a Yes vibe and it is also very melodic. Production wise it sounds really good as well. This weekend I finally get to seem them live again, first time after the release of Cardington: Cardington, by Lifesigns

[​IMG]

4. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Gryreland, by Bomber Goggles (sympho-rock, full-length, physical CD available, releases March 21, 2018, Los Angeles, California)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: The Gyre

5. I love prog but a lot of the artists out there are lousy at writing lyrics. The music is great but poor lyrics always turn me off.

6. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Well, if you don't like the lyrics that much but if you like instrumental side of current prog, there are lot of nice instrumental progressive rock albums that are newly released. For example, that ENINE's The Great Silent, which I've posted on the top of this page, is a magnificent instrumenal prog rock album without a doubt.

wayneklein likes this.
  7. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Odyssey, by Locochino (progressive funk-rock, 4-track EP, released March 1, 2018, Gainesville, Florida)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Shprinkle

samsondale and Davey like this.
  8. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

yesstiles likes this.
  9. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

10. Davey

If your definition of prog rock stretches far enough to include some of the motorik sounds of pioneers like Amon Düül II, and some fun and funky space rock, you'd probably love the new Psychic Lemon Frequency Rhythm Distortion Delay. I have it on purple splatter vinyl from their German label ... What's your latest vinyl purchase?

samsondale and BD2665 like this.
  11. Davey

Don't know about the music, but you sure have been posting a lot of cool cover art, some of them look very intriguing. The whole world is full of music these days, just a mountain of wonderful music that most of us will never hear, usually composed and performed and made available as a work of love moreso than for profit :)

12. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Now we're talking - two very different bands - but equally interesting.
    And on VINYL!
    Ordered.....

Davey likes this.
  13. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

The music is nice too.

Davey likes this.
  14. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

FuDank I, by FuDank. (progressive fusion, 6-track EP, released March 5, 2018, Hamilton, New Zealand)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Peace Grows Here

15. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

16. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Dok likes this.
  17. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

18. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

19. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

20. ChrisEfterklang

Can't remember if this has been posted here but it sure does deserve wider exposure. Moonparticle is Niko Tsonev's new project on which he is helped by t keyboard player Adam Holzman (Miles Davis, Steven Wilson), saxophonist Theo Travis (Robert Fripp, Steven Wilson), drummer Craig Blundell (Frost*, Steven Wilson), violinist Samy Bishai (Natacha Atlas, Digitonal) and vocalist Grog Lisee (Die So Fluid, Ozzy Osbourne). Tsonev himself is an ace guitar player having played with Steven Wilson (Grace For Drowning tour and live-dvd) and British progrock outfit Lifesigns. Musically this is not your standard guitar player solo-album but a well thought out album with compositions that sometimes have a Canterbury touch to them.
    Available both as download, CD and vinyl:

Hurricane Esmeralda, by Moonparticle

[​IMG]

calgary669 likes this.
  21. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Neverbody EP, by Neverbody (instrumental progressive rock, 3-track debut EP, released March 10, 2018, Liverpool, UK)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: But Only For A Moment...

22. David Bostock

David Bostock Forum Resident

This has been in constant rotation in my car for a couple of weeks now. Easily one of my favorites of recent releases. Went to get their debut album but it's only available by CD...no digital download unfortunately. Guess I'll just have to get physical media for this...:)

calgary669 likes this.
  23. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Yeah great album!!

24. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Will Spotify this tonight!

25. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Lifesigns. I have the debut and I guess I don't "get" it. It's nice, it's pleasant, but some of it reminds me of 80s rock like Mr. Mister. I'm not even sure I'd call it neo-prog. Most of the songs are really long but are very vocal oriented and don't strike me as being particularly progressive rock. Is the second album more instrumental or is it fairly similar to the debut?

Norco74 likes this.