Rolling Stones Single-By-Single Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Not much to say about this one. Stunned me when I first heard it and stunned me again when I heard the true stereo mix. Still have that Hot Rocks 1 CD.

All Down The Line likes this.
  2. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

"Satisfaction" isn't in my top 5 Stones hits, but it's probably in my top 10. I'm a little burned out on it, but not as badly as some classic-rock warhorses of the 1970s. When the poor stereo mix started to appear on US radio stations in the late 1980s, I started to turn it off more often. "Satisfaction" has to be heard in mono to receive its full impact (in both senses of the word).

It took me several years to figure out all the lyrics, but once I did, it added more to the record than I already knew was there. I especially loved the part about the TV ads, and how Mick Jagger is just as guilty of consumerism as the pitchman he derides.

It was one of my first Rolling Stones 45s; I started collecting records in March 1973 on a kid's budget, and I already had found a copy by that summer in my yard-sale rounds.

In general, 1965 may be the most highly-regarded year in pop history for singles. Three different 45s that peaked in '65 are often regarded by critics as among not merely the top 1,000 or top 100, but the top 10 singles of all time. "Satisfaction" is one, of course; the other two are "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" and "Like a Rolling Stone." All three pushed boundaries in their own ways, each was either a #1 or #2 hit in its time, and all are exciting even today.

As for the B-sides, "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" and "The Spider and the Fly" are on Side 2 of the US Out of Our Heads, which is a really good album side. "The Last Time" and "Play with Fire" also are on the album. It's no wonder that the LP hit #1 on the Billboard charts -- their only chart-topping album in the 1960s.

The MEZ, pablo fanques, D.B. and 4 others like this.
  3. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Cool footage I wonder what was the other song they played that night

DK Pete likes this.
  4. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

That was their second appearance on the show. They also did "Little Red Rooster" as well as a short rendition of "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" and a very brief burst of "2120 South Michigan Ave.", performed while the credits and commercials rolled

Rolling Stones - Everybody Need Somebody To Love (Ed Sullivan Show '65)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Carl LaFong, D.B., Aftermath and 3 others like this.
  5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'll never forget their very first appearance on Sullivan...I was barely 7 years old and I can still remember their performance unexpectedly interrupted by President Lyndon Johnson.

aphexj likes this.
  6. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

This is such an obscure deep cut, I'm not sure if I've even heard of it...

:D

Not much to add that hasn't been said already. Interesting to learn Keef thought of using horns, because his guitar tone kind of sounds like a horn. The riff is on the Mount Rushmore of guitar riffs. The word "iconic" gets thrown around too much, but this song fits the bill.

The Spider and the Fly

I like the timbre of Mick's vocals here, and his harmonica. Otherwise this is kind of standard issue blues rock n roll. Enjoyable song, though.

The MEZ, bonus and Parachute Woman like this.
  7. tim_neely

The American 45 of "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" exists in at least 12 different variants as a stock copy and four different variants as a promo. That's a reflection of just how popular the 45 was and remained for many years. Most of these are slight pressing-plant differences and aren't really important, but a few are.

First, the original 45s have the short-lived "LONDON" logo in white at the top. This is a seldom-seen pressing; the vast majority have "LONDON" in black.

Just as was true of "The Last Time," some copies of the 45 have the catalog number followed by the letter V (in this case, 9766V). One of the promos, the white-logo version, and one of the black-logo versions are like this. Again, there is no discernible difference in the music between the V and non-V versions.

At some point, London replaced the version of "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" on the original 45 with one that doesn't have the line "I break my ass every day" as the song fades out. This seems to be one of those rare cases where there is no difference in the trail-off matrix numbers between the edited and unedited versions, so it has to be played to discern.

In 1974, London changed the prefix of its singles from "45" to "5N." Interestingly, London made two promo pressings of "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" with the 5N prefix. I doubt it was an attempt to make the song into a hit again; it's more likely that, because both oldies and Top 40 radio were still playing it, the latter on "Million Dollar Weekend" type programming, there was constant demand from radio for fresh copies. London thus decided to press a bunch of dedicated promos for that purpose.

Something peculiar started to happen on 5N pressings: The B-side's title began to be altered. Some "sunrise" and, I think, all 1980s white-label copies have it as "The Under Assistant (West Coast Promotion Man)," with the last four words in parentheses. Speaking of that song, pretty much all the 5N 45s have the early fade.

Because of this single's iconic status, the picture sleeve is highly sought after. A relatively small percentage of the copies of "Satisfaction" you find in the wild have a picture sleeve; it's an 8 to 9 on the 1-10 rarity scale.

O Don Piano, bonus and DK Pete like this.
  8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Are you sure about that? Looking at Discogs, there are quite a few matrix variations. It would be pretty odd if the same matrix was used for different cuts regardless of if the edited version was used or not.

I assume you mean the edited version? Because the fade is the same regardless.

9. tim_neely

True. My point was you can't tell based simply on a change in the matrix number. You could say that all copies with a very specific number are one version or the other, but you can't generalize, which makes it tougher to determine when looking at a random copy of the 45.

For example, I mentioned earlier in the thread that copies of "It's All Over Now" with an edited version have a matrix number ending in -1(x) where x is a letter and those with the full version have -2(x) at the end of the matrix number. I don't know if there is any such rule with "Under Assistant..."

Yes.

10. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

The first song with what I see as existential lyrics, ideas that are important in the Stones' music for some time. Jagger is a very underrated lyricist; for me, in the sixties, he is second only to Dylan.

bonus, funhouse and Parachute Woman like this.
  11. John54

John54 Senior Member

I like Satisfaction, certainly more than "but not too much", and I always have. That said, it's not in my top 10 Stones tracks (probably top 25 though) and I personally don't think it quite measures up to The Last Time, Mother's Little Helper, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Dandelion, Get Off My Cloud or Have Your Seen Your Mother Baby Standing in the Shadow (my top six). I don't recall hearing the last of these in the '60s and I didn't care that much for the one before it, but became enthusiastic later.

On the other hand I did hear Satisfaction a lot when it was current, probably because it was on the charts in summer. I always associate it with Mountainside pool where I had swimming lessons (that's true of a number of other songs that summer and the next one, like Eve of Destruction, I Fought the Law and Lightning Strikes. Oddly enough, looking over both years' lists, not too many strike me like that, possibly because of different release dates in the U. S. and Canada) . By the way there's no mountain anywhere near Mountainside pool ...

Parachute Woman likes this.
  12. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I will just go on record and say I thought satisfaction was and still is a great song.

ohnothimagen and Adam9 like this.
  13. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yeah, "Satisfaction " is a song for the ages but I really like "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" also .
    It's probably one of the first sarcastic "digs" at the music business on a 45 unless the Kinks beat them . I can't remember .

"The Spider and the Fly" is a favorite of mine also (great vocal by Mick ) so the US Out of Our Heads album with all three of these songs on it is my favorite early-ish Stones album and the first one of theirs that I bought .

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Parachute Woman, bonus and John Fell like this.
  14. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Heard Otis Redding's version?

15. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Yes, it does predate Session Man by at least a year.

16. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Shannon @Parachute Woman , before I forget, I want to thank you for hosting this thread.
    I tend to listen to the Stones from late 1965 or early 1966 and I haven't listened to "earlier " Stones in quite a while .
    Going through their early singles and music here has rekindled my love of their earlier material also and reminded me how much the Stones have meant to me since their beginning.

So , I have sent you a nice, expensive Stones related present via UPS .

If you don't get it, rest assured I'll never us UPS again. :realmad:

:D ;)

Seriously though, thanks for the thread.
    I look forward to participating as we move forward. :wave:

Parachute Woman and marmalade166 like this.
  17. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Like I said, the horns just aren’t as effective as the single note fuzz-box guitar riff. The axe has way more gravitas.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    ohnothimagen and a customer like this.
  18. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Lyrics?

And I'm trying to meet some girl
    She says "maybe baby come back again next week"
    Now you see I'm on a losing streak

How many am radio hits dealt with a guy missing out beCause the object of his infatuation was having her period

pablo fanques and ohnothimagen like this.
  19. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

I found this absolutely surprising, so I checked, and I'm amazed that's true, and that albums like Goats Head Soup and Emotional Rescue hit #1 but Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed didn't. Baffling.

20. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Are all the cd versions of Fortune Teller in fake stereo? I bought the extra bunch of singles sold by UDiscover.com when purchasing the mono vinyl set. I think that includes a 45rpm record of the cancelled Fortune Teller single.

21. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I love this EP and perhaps with a couple of Beatles EPs my favourite EP of all time. My family got me this when I was pretty young (a late 64 or early 65 UK pressing). It has been well played and I guess I should do a needle drop of my copy. I have many of the recent vinyl and cd reissues. Anyone believe they do a good job of reissuing this EP? I think they do. I guess from the high resolution files of the mono box set it would be possible to create a high resolution version. I assume all 4 tracks are in the mono box.

Re Poison Ivy the EP version is the cancelled 2nd single version- is that correct?

22. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Well, by this point what can you say that hasn't already been said about "Satisfaction"?:D

I like "The Spider And The Fly" (the 'updated' version on Stripped is a hoot) but I've never been a fan of "Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man".
    Funny how both "Yesterday" and "Satisfaction" -arguably their authors' 'signature' pieces- were both apparently conceived in dreams.
    No, the fuzz guitar suited the song. The horn riff does seem like an obvious thing, though (the Stones have of course used it when playing the song live). That said, you know what I've always liked most about the "Satisfaction" performance? The groove of the bass, drums and the acoustic guitar- just give me a mix of that, please.
    "Satisfaction" is basically a standard at this point. That song ain't going away anytime soon.

Didn't Mick Jagger say "I won't be singing 'Satisfaction' when I'm fourty"?:laugh:
    As with similar references in Stones songs, some of them took a little while to catch on with me before I came to the conclusion that lyrically the Stones got away with murder in the mid sixties period. As for "Satisfaction" though I imagine there was a certain amount of looking the other way with that lyric- I mean, they weren't not going to play "Satisfaction" on the radio. And imagine the controversy and publicity explosion if they did ban "Satisfaction" back in '65, what would that have done for the Stones' bad boy image?:laugh:

lightbulb and Parachute Woman like this.
  23. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The guys got their sing-a-long with Satisfaction. You know you've got a monster on your hands when people can chant/sing your tune in group settings. It's an indelible part of the fabric of '65 and the best part? A lot more good stuff to come.

24. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

just my own personal aside but I did not like the early Stones in real time, they sounded echoey and I thought, even as a 5 year old, poorly recorded.
    Heard Out Of Our Heads at a friends party, didn't care for it...next year my cousin gave me Big Hits....still didn't get it....but when Satanic Majesties came out, I just about went Out Of My Head. :)

25. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

With Satisfaction, Andrew Oldham said one of the keys to the mix of the record was Jack Nitzche's piano, which you can't hear as it sits behind the vocal (you can hear it on bootlegs of the instrumental).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.