Good Deals on Other Amazon Sites (Italy, Spain, France, etc.)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by ptijerm, Oct 26, 2015.

1. culabula

culabula Unread author.

2. culabula

culabula Unread author.

3. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

I get a total 0f $21. I live in the Netherlands. Where did you see those taxfares?

Eric

By placing your order, you agree to Amazon's privacy notice and conditions of use.
    Amazon Currency Converter is Disabled.
    Learn more
    Order Summary
    Items: $14.51
    Shipping & handling: $6.48
    Total before tax: $20.99
    Estimated tax to be collected: $0.00
    Order total: $20.99
    Change card currency from EUR

4. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Tax and duties vary from country to country, that’s why. I get a different result if I use an Irish address from a British address. But I much prefer yours.

5. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Actually, it’s a bit of a mystery. I tried ordering again using my Italian and French addresses and the import fees disappeared, just like yours. But really, this is probably because these fees should not be charged at all for something of such low value. As I understand it the Irish threshold is 18€ or thereabouts, so quite why this is attracting any such fees is annoying the bejaysus out of me.

On the other hand, any attempt to buy the Dylan in Mono box set is attracting fees around 25€, no matter what European territory you attempt to send it to. This is quite right in so far as the item is in excess of the threshold, however I do resent Amazon US acting as customs policeman.

6. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

I agree 100% with you as it's NOT their job to help customs.

kenbefound likes this.
  7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

To be fair Amazon don't charge the large handling fees Royal Mail and various courier companies like to add on for collecting VAT, not saying I like it, but it's better than the alternatives.

imarcq likes this.
  8. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I've been lucky recently with a few items that were a few quid over the £15 limit. They seem to slip through the net! :) It's supposed to be the total of the goods plus postage, but many parcels don't indicate what the postage was....so I dunno how they actually calculate it if unavailable. I think it's the luck of the draw!

Dubmart likes this.
  9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Well with VAT, collection fees and crazy US postage charges I've pretty much given up buying from outside the EU, glad to hear a few are getting through though, I guess they have lists for how much foreign postage costs based on weight.

imarcq likes this.
  10. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

All your music - on eBay was my best source to the UK of vinyl two years ago. Pre Brexit apocalypse. But post Brexit currency crash, they are nearly all over £15. Shame. I spent a fortune there on great new LPs that are worth a pretty penny now. My main source now is discogs

imarcq likes this.
  11. imarcq

I just bought a new EVG Stylus for $20.99 (£14.98) + $4.99 (£3.56) postage from South Korea on eBay. It arrived in a small box and the seller had kindly ticked the gift option. I think because of that the import limit goes up to £29 (for gift items). Of course not many sellers would do this, even if you ask them to. :)

12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I can never understand why almost no Americans will play ball and under declare the value, even when there's no insurance involved, it doesn't cost them or their government anything, I guess they aren't as willing to break silly rules as us Brits and I thought they were supposed to be the land of the free.;)

imarcq likes this.
  13. imarcq

I always used to tick the gift option when I was selling vinyl on eBay from Australia. I didn't like to think buyers were getting stitched up, when the postage alone was enough to make you sick! :)

Dubmart likes this.
  14. imarcq

Amazon Italy - 4 Vinyl LPs €60 offer on select titles...

Vinili 4x60€

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Frightwig and lightbulb like this.
  15. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

imarcq, lightbulb and culabula like this.
  16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Royal Mail; Have they increased the fee since 2010? It used to be reasonable compared to what Fedex or UPS charge, who base their fee on the value of the goods. I once paid as much in fees and taxes as I did in shipping. It was under £10 when I last lived there IIRC.

17. imarcq

"Customs fees are calculated by Border Force on behalf of HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). These charges aren’t applied by Royal Mail. The amount will include our £8 handling fee."

More info and customs for goods sent from abroad - GOV.UK

Additional Postage & Customs Fees Cards

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

When the average record costs over the £15 limit, but under £25 then an £8 collection fee, plus 20% VAT is a killer, there's an album I'd really like which a US seller has for £20 including delivery, a very good price, but much as I'd like it the idea of paying an extra £12 when it arrives has really put me off.

imarcq likes this.
  19. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I still have 6 titles showing in my Amazon Italy orders, I've now had emails for all of them giving me a November 2nd to 19th delivery date, today's email was about a title which has just been released so I'm guessing as it's an overseas order and I'm only paying 6 Euros for shipping they are going to stick rigidly to the rules and send everything in one parcel, if I actually receive what I've got on order I don't mind being patient.

imarcq and lightbulb like this.
  20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Okay this is getting weird, I just had an email from Amazon Italy telling me one of my orders is about to ship, the thing is it's one of the orders that got cancelled and isn't showing in my orders, it's a new one on me and I'll only believe it when the record arrives, not sure how they can charge me for a deleted order though.:confused:

culabula, imarcq and lightbulb like this.
  21. imarcq

Amazon are a bit unpredictable. I just tried to cancel an order outstanding for over a week, and it said is was now too late, already shipping (although the delivery date isnt until next week). They said to refuse or return the package with a label they would send. I ignored them and hit cancel again a few minutes later and it cancelled with no issues. Weird!

black sheriff likes this.
  22. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I’ve ordered lots from them over the last few years and never been hit with customs, I have a feeling they bulk import as I’ve never really seen any signs of customs handling on the packaging. Their returns address is a uk one too.

23. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Why would you get hit with customs in the single market?

24. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Practicing for Brexit! :winkgrin:

Echo and imarcq like this.
  25. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, by taking aim at their feet.