Audio Technica VM530EN Replacement

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by emjel, May 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emjel

emjel Forum Resident Thread Starter

My AT440 lost its stylus a couple of weeks ago and as it was still under warranty, AT (UK) asked me to send it back to them via the retailer I bought it from. They have admitted the 440 must have been faulty, but as they no longer make thus cartridge are sending a VM530EN as a replacement.

Out of curiosity, I emailed AT US asking if this new cartridge would be okay to use with my AT120USB Turntable and they told me that the perfect replacement for the AT440 was the VM540. Is there likely to be a compatibility issue with the 530 on my turntable or will the difference be negligible and not worth worrying about.

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

You should not have any issues with the VM 530EN as it is the AT 440 MLb replacement. Newer version. Install, set up and enjoy thy vinyl!

3. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

Just got one of these babies, took my RP3 to my local Hifi retailer and got him to fit it for me, it's replacing a Elys 2 that has been on there since I bought the TT back December 2013.

He said it will need a good 100 hours to settle in but I'm already seeing an uptick in the sound, got my 45rpm Radiohead In Rainbows playing and I can tell the difference already, all now set for a good few years and I've upgraded my sound somewhat for £179.00.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  4. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Is there a VM equivalent to the AT150mlx ?

5. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

The AT VM750SH is what replaced the 150 series. I purchased it almost a year ago and I think it's better than the 150mlx. I just upgraded the stylus to the 760SLC and I'm blown away by the detail.

George Blair likes this.
  6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The 530EN replaces the old 120E. The 540ML replaces the 440Mla/b.

Robert C and Leonthepro like this.
  7. spintheblack72

Loving how much my RP3 has improved with the VM530EN.

Just gave my DSOTM 30th Anniversary pressing a blast and it sounds incredible and then my all time favourite album PF's WYWH, it's the Half Speed Master and it sounds divine, the new BRMC album is also sounding great.

Can't recommend this cart & stylus enough, the Elys 2 served me well but this has taken the sound to another level, can only imagine how it will sound when it's settled in.

Some Dylan MFSL next I think to see how that sounds, 45rpm BIABH & H61R.

8. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Not the answer you are looking for, but I put a ATN150SA on my 150 and that worked out very well.

9. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

How would this VM530EN compare to the AT7V? They’re currently right around the same price on LPGear?

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Two different cartridges. IIRC the AT7V would have a stiffer compliance. What turntable are you using?

11. missan

missan Forum Resident

At7v has a much better needle.

12. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

I know they aren’t in the same family, but they’re both from AT and at similar prices right now. I’m using a Denon DP-30LII

Thanks for the tip!

13. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Prices at LP Gear: AT-440mlb- $390 VM-540ml- $249 VM-530en- $179 If you paid $300+ for the AT-440ml, I am thinking a refund is better than getting a cartridge worth 1/2 of what you paid.

Note- new AT-440MLB on ebay is $247.

Leonthepro and patient_ot like this.
  14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

What is the mass of your tonearm? You should try to get the best compliance match.

Also capacitance is a huge issue with these AT carts. Do you know the capacitance of your phono pre and tonearm/TT cables?

Re: the stylus, it's true the AT7V is better but not by much. It's a .3 x .7 on the 530EN vs. a .2 x .7 on the 7V. Not a big difference. AT's microline styli and other advanced tips are in a completely different league IME/IMHO.

Mr. Explorer, Leonthepro and PooreBoy like this.
  15. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

100 hours for an MM cartridge? Your retailer is smokin something, and not the weak stuff either.

spintheblack72 likes this.
  16. Leonthepro

Makes more sense that way, just add 100 to the new series. Although the 530 should ve called the 520.

17. spintheblack72

That's what he said, the sound has improved no end, I'm no expert, he's always looked after to me and been in the game for years and I didn't detect any funny odours in his shop while I was there but then again you never know.

18. Leonthepro

Break in happens over periods depending on what gear it is. But MMs dont take long. I can guarantee you this. Or if I must I can explain why.

spintheblack72 likes this.
  19. spintheblack72

Like I said the sound has improved no end from my Elys 2 I got with my RP3, coupled with my NAD PP 2e Phono Preamplifier I also recently purchased I'm more than happy with the upgrade. I have used it pretty much every weekend since January, a good 10 or more hours a weekend.

I only listen to vinyl when I'm off and rarely stick a record on in a working week. I usually reward myself with a black circle session on weekends, currently spinning my original pressing of Thin Lizzy's Live & Dangerous which sounds better than ever.

Personally I think it's broken in enough now, I don't have an income to splurge on a high end set up but are of the opinion these 2 new additions have given me a considerable upgrade.

Seriously recommend this cartridge and stylus if you have'nt got thousands to spend and it seems like a perfect fit for my RP3, £179 well spent.

20. Did it need spacers to lift up the arm or it worked fine just out of the box? I'm think about getting an Audio Technica VM540ML for my Goldring GR-1 TT which is a rebadged Rega Planar 1.

21. spintheblack72

My Hifi dealer fitted it for me when I bought it, I don't remember him fitting anything but the cart and stylus but couldn't be sure.

22. Leonthepro

Are there any grey metal shims under the tonearm or cartridge mounts?

23. spintheblack72

Not that I can see no.

24. Leonthepro

Then there are no spacers put on. But that doesnt mean there shouldnt be. And even if there should, that doesnt mean its a necessity. You should be fine @Kiko1974 maybe 2mm should do. Otherwise the counterweight on the RP1 might hit the lid when closed.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Kiko1974 likes this.
  25. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

That's what I thought. The 440 is a micro line cartridge, the 530 is not.

patient_ot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.